Robots That Can Touch And Feel Surfaces Are Being Developed At University of Glasgow

University of Glasgow has an Indian-origin researcher Dr. Ravinder Dahiya, a professor of electronic and nanoscale engineering, now working on making robots more touchy-feely than ever before. Imagine the future robots bringing you a cup of tea and even telling you if it's warm or hot. Till date, researchers have not been completely successful in creating an ultra-flexible tactile skin. Dr. Dahiya might soon be able to embed electronics and sensors on a 50 micrometers thick, bendable silicon-based surface.

Working together with Professor Duncan Gregory, Chair in Inorganic Materials in the School of Chemistry, they shall develop a printing technique for high-mobility materials such as silicon. Their aim is to interface nanotechnology with robotics, such that covering the entire robot body (not just the hands) with the flexible tactile skin becomes possible. This would mean robots become capable of carrying an elderly person in case of an emergency. Dr. Dahiya believes that if this feat is achieved, it will be the first time that nanoscale structures are used for macroscale bendable electronics system.

glasgow-university-touchy-skin-robotics

In future, robots might be able to tell if a surface is rough or smooth, hard or soft. They might also be able to feel weight. The professor believes that robots will be able to correctly judge the amount of pressure needed to carry a fragile china cup of tea from one place to another. How awesome is that?
Share your thoughts on this in comments.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans. I am requesting all of you to share your thoughts on linkedin. I initially registered for it as my ffriends registered without knowing the function and utility of...
I am a simple man with very small dreams. I love electricity and current, i need the experience of the fellow CEans to improve my knowledge more. Hope it would...
Numix Design Team, recently updated their Numix GTK Theme PPA and the Unity Launcher looks GREAT! Check the difference from image below. I can't believe I installed Ubuntu just to...
Hi i am naveen well in these days we can find many electrical engineers achievements where there are many mini and main project in those basic small example : on...
A new app on iPhone and iPad called "Vhoto" lets you capture some of the best shots hidden inside the videos in your phone or tablet's gallery. With Vhoto app,...