Robots Learn Their Stealth-Mode Antics From Cockroaches!

A team from the #-Link-Snipped-# is considering cockroaches and geckos for the creation of a novel range of search and rescue robots. The experts have devised a six-legged robot named DASH(Dynamic Autonomous Sprawled Hexapod), which has the required slyness of the cockroach. In the online journal PLoS ONE, UC Berkley graduate Jean-Michel Mongeau stated how his team observed how the cockroach employs its antennae to sense the gaps. As the gaps were made wider, the cockroaches moved below the ramp. High definition cameras revealed that the roaches did the grabbing and swinging with their hind legs. Same way, geckos used their toenails to swing and crawl under the ledges. Along with Robert Full, professor of integrative biology, the team was able to ifuse natural life like behavior into DASH.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Few robots exist that run well, whereas few exist that climb well, but the need to develop robots good in both running and climbing has made scientists develop robots that may reach places their metal ancestors could not. Once designed, these robots are also expected to save lives.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have always been a fan of high speed motion control. But when I laid my eyes on this masterpiece of a video, it blew my mind off. The Marmalade,...
MIT's engineers are always on the move - discovering new things to make human life easier and better. The latest research from MIT in the field of biomedical engineering makes...
Aero engineers at the ÉCOLE POLYTECHNIQUE FÉDÉRALE DE LAUSANNE aka EPFL have created a flying robot that won't give up. No matter where it crashes, it gathers guts to get...
NASA engineers are all set for launching their all-new space telescope called NuSTAR (Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array) today. This $165 million, two-year mission is aimed at searching the black holes...
BMW has revealed its updated i3 concept car and the iPedelec concept bicycle, at the opening of the world's first BMW i Store in London. The updated i3 is derived...