Rethink Everything: 3-D Printing and the Product Design Revolution

Quote:
3-D printing is much more than a new way of making; it's an opportunity to rethink everything we know about design and product engineering.
"Many people look at end use parts as the nirvana of 3-D printing," Cobb explained at ASME's Advanced Design and Manufacturing Impact Forum in Buffalo last week. "But what's really interesting about 3-D printing is not how it's augmenting the way things are done traditionally. It's the way designers are utilizing 3-D printing as a new paradigm to help design a new kind of object."
Focusing on those products alone misses the real point of the revolution. To Jon Cobb, executive vice president, Corporate Affairs, for 3-D printing giant, Stratasys, it might be missing the revolution itself.
Endquote

StackPath

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    My company has an awesome 3D printer which can manufacture fairly intricate automotive parts. Its priced at $30,000 a unit and takes 12 hours to finish one part. Right now, it is very costly and very slow, but certainly the technology of the future. I am sure in years, it will be like the mobile phone, a part of techno-lifestyle.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    We also use a Stratasys for prototyping. #-Link-Snipped-# made a post about a low cost 3D printer. We are getting one of those for a quick and dirty check of the CAD designs.
    EOS of Germany have a metal Laser Sintering metal 3D machine at US$1 Million, which we are looking at for medical implants production.

Additive manufacture is a technology whose time has come.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    It would be great to have that link here #-Link-Snipped-#. #-Link-Snipped-# Sir, is the $1 million machine a precision manufacturing one?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    Sir, is the $1 million machine a precision manufacturing one?
    It sure is. Please see here for applications in various areas:
    Additive Manufacturing & 3D Printing Solutions | EOS

These links are for the low cost one:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Assembly documentation here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

RS Componenets also offer a free CAD software here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

To close, here is #-Link-Snipped-#'s post:
    Our First 3D Printer Ormerod from RepRap
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# sorry for the delay but #-Link-Snipped-# Sir posted the link of printer we purchased.
    Actually that printer is cheaper because that printer part itself is printed by 3D printer and it is available as a KIT so you have assemble it.

We took around one month to make it fully assembled it was running in parallel with office work. But Yeah now it is fully functional.

And #-Link-Snipped-# Sir this low cost printer is no doubt not that much accurate the one you have but yeah for the first One or Two revisions this is better option to reduce R&D cost.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I'm working on the design of a retaining wall, on which a steel hall will be mounted. The retaining wall is not beneath the whole perimeter of the building,...
I just wanted to know the difference between %u and %#u .....
Food & Bev Tech unveils ; plea to create Brand India & up food exports https://www.fnbnews.com/article/detnew.asp?articleid=35972§ionid=1 Govt plans smaller clusters for food processing industry https://www.business-standard.com/co...-food-processing-industry-114081100312_1.html Indian Food Industry https://www.ibef.org/industry/indian-food-industry.aspx
I just wanted to know how actually the expression which has many conditional operators in it is executed.. e.g System.out.println(8>2?7<3?6>3?5:3:9:1); I just wanted to know that here I have 2...
I just wanted to ask that is the runnable interface is implemented just so that the class can realise the concept of multiple inheritance ,because if our class extends thread...