Researchers Develop Nano-Structure Using Technology That Replicates Human Brain

Researchers from the RMIT University have created a nano-structure by using a technology that emulates the human brain. The novel structure is developed by using a thin film, which is made from a functional oxide material. This material is more than 10,000 times thinner when compared to a human hair. The main objective of this research is to replace the hard drive technologies that are used in memory devices such as flash memory, dynamic random-access memory (DRAM), solid-state drive (SSD).

nano

The researchers have built this new platform for the development of super-fast memory devices which will not only be highly stable but also be more reliable. The thin film created is designed in such a way that it is able to demonstrate 'memristive' effect. Memristive effect is a phenomenon in which the device remembers its history such as when the electric supply is turned off, its last resistance until it is turned on again. The devices having this effect are called ‘memristors’. The memristor has the capacity to be developed into a non-volatile solid-state memory device, which could be trained to compute like synaptic interfaces in the human brain.

The data storage structure is about 60 nanometers in size. The development is at a nascent stage and the team, led by Dr Sriram, wants to advance the research so that the structure could be used in various electronic devices. The team also wants to create the replica of response time of human neural network in these memory devices.

The findings of the research will be published in the coming issue of materials science journal Advanced Functional Materials. The research is aided by an Australian Research Council Discovery grant and RMIT's Platform Technologies Research Institute.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Every time a news hits about achieving some kind of "brain functionality" I freak out. Makes me think of all those terminator, I-robot kind of things. I for one don't think we should make any such machines who are capable of making autonomous decisions and learn from mistakes. If they actually achieve something like that, it will be inevitable for those movies to come true minus the happy ending.
  • avii
    avii
    [Prototype]
    If they actually achieve something like that, it will be inevitable for those movies to come true minus the happy ending.
    The same analogy can be applied to weapons, atom bombs, virii etc.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    [Prototype]
    Every time a news hits about achieving some kind of "brain functionality" I freak out. Makes me think of all those terminator, I-robot kind of things. I for one don't think we should make any such machines who are capable of making autonomous decisions and learn from mistakes. If they actually achieve something like that, it will be inevitable for those movies to come true minus the happy ending.
    If we achieve that stage, we would be intelligent enough to go one level up and always keep the Ace card with us (something the AI cannot override). What they show in the Sci-Fi movies is humanity, on the whole, being dumb enough to not foresee AI invasion. We are better than that, I mean, if you and I can think of this possibility, surely, the scientists are aware of that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am getting a feeling not many of the aforementioned discipline engineers are active here. Is it because of some exam season or has it always been a minority? 😔
monti singh submitted a new project: Shock Absorber Test Rig for every Workshop - this is special design of shock absorber to find out effectiveness. this test rig has two...
The society has witnessed over the centuries that engineering solutions to real world problems are often the best for building a better world. There are problems with every sector of...
Calling out all the CEans to list the Xposed modules they're using in Stock or CM11. Also, I would love to know whether the respective module conflicts with CM11 or...
Hi guys, can anyone suggest me the best book for basic electrical and electronics engineering.Thanx