Research Topic for PhD

Hi
I'm searching research topic for my PhD Mechanical Engineering in field of Ocean energy
Can you please guide

Many Thanks!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Most tidal energy systems use a reservoir and submerged bidirectional turbines to generate power. While tides are diurnal events, waves are always present. Wave energy harvesters usually consist of hinged floats that move up and down with the waves. This oscillating motion is converted to rotary motion driving a turbine. However the system is unwieldy and suffers damage in high waves or storms.
    One concept investigated by the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore was to convert the wave motion to an oscillating air movement using a vertical chamber anchored in the water and open at the bottom. A bidirectional wind turbine inside the tower generates power.
    Unfortunately the demo unit that was tried to be set up at Trivandrum got knocked down by a freak storm before the tower could be anchored properly.
    You can check whether this sort of thing can be developed as a PhD programme.

Inlet to the tower may have to be designed as a venturi. Both incoming and out going waves can be harvested by the same tower by automatic sluices. The reversible turbine itself can be optimised. You can discuss with your supervisor on the suitability of this for a PhD.
  • Santhosh M
    Santhosh M
    This idea sounds really great... 👍...
  • imran180
    imran180
    Awesome idea; however, Can there be another idea.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    imran180
    Awesome idea; however, Can there be another idea.
    In most places there is a vertical temperature gradient in temperature in the sea water. Using a suitable organic fluid with the required boiling point, it is possible to generate vapour at sufficient pressure to drive a turbine. The water at the cooler level is used to condense the exit low pressure vapour back into liquid in a closed loop.
    How does OTEC work? (ocean thermal energy conversion) - Explain that Stuff
  • avii
    avii
    I really can't believe someone is asking for research idea for PhD ☕
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Usually, you begin a Ph.D when you have something in mind.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to make my final year solar project guys do u have any idea regarding it .....any devices related ...................plz i urgently need it
Leigh Purnell, a graduate from Aston University has developed a compact external phone charger called Petalite Flux battery that can be used to charge your smartphones, tablets, iPod or any...
ASUS has launched their own version of the Google Chromebox in India with ASUS Chromebox CN60, the mini Chrome OS computer in 3 variants - Intel Core i7, Intel Core...
Hello CEans ! Make way for a fellow CEan who has always made you laugh with his creative humorous comic posts.A relentless contributor to the 'Engineering Comics - "Absolute Zero"'...
Lego Mindstorms EV3 is now available in India with a price tag of Rs. 36,499 on Flipkart. I've been waiting for the product to launch in India for a long...