Rescuing Failing Hearts

Quote:Heart failure. It is a numbers game with far more losers than winners.
The American Heart Association reports that in the U.S. alone, nearly six million people suffer from a weakened heart that fails to pump sufficient blood and oxygen to vital organs. About 670,000 new heart failure cases are diagnosed each year, and more than 250,000 Americans die from the illness annually.
Living with a failing heart typically limits physical activity and requires a complex cocktail of medications to lower blood pressure and heart rate, remove excess fluids and boost the heart’s pumping ability.
As their condition deteriorates, the only long-term solution for many patients often is a heart transplant. However, most patients do not qualify for that procedure because of age or advanced disease. Moreover, only about 2,500 hearts are available for transplant each year in the U.S., a fraction of the need.
In recent years, however, technology has offered an increasingly viable alternative for many heart failure patients; implanted electromechanical heart pumps. Attached to the aorta and left ventricle and linked to an exterior controller by a flexible driveline, these devices boost the natural heart’s pumping function, often resulting in considerably improved health. Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: It is hard for us today—with the ubiquitous air conditioning (A/C) and mechanical refrigeration many of us enjoy—to grasp how A/C changed our lives. It made tropical and desert...
About 22 minutes long video. What engineering?!
Hi I am 2014 passed out I completed my engineering(EEE). I attend some off campuses i did nt succeded in it.so i decided to do some course so that i...
Amazon has announced that they will open an India based data center for the AWS - aka amazon web services. The AWS is one of the largest private cloud networks...
Hye friends, My name is arooj. by profession i am a SE in a software house. I have joined this community for getting unique ideas. and contribute my input at...