Remy - MIT's Computer System Will Generate TCP Congestion-Control Algorithms

Say hello to Remy - a machine learning system developed by engineering team at MIT that will generate TCP congestion-control algorithms that outperform those created by humans. Professor Hari Balakrishnan, Fujitsu Professor of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science who's working on the Remy project said that when humans design the TCP congestion-control algorithms, they think about one or two connections in a network and then base their designs around that. However, the whole design process becomes more complicated when you consider more connections where the workload is variable.

slide

Computers, on the other hand don't have such limitation. They can consider multiple connections within a network - whether one file is being sent or 10 and create designs accordingly. Remy system can explore the possibilities and variations in the networks to figure out the best possible outcome. The users have to specific certain characteristics of the network - for example whether the bandwidth across the link fluctuates or the number of users change and by what degree. They'll also have to define what percent of the users will be browsing dynamic websites and how many are accessing the static html pages on the network. Ultimately, the user will have to specifiy the metrics to be used for the evaluation of the performance of the network viz. throughput, average time taken for the packets to travel across the network etc.

The Remy system tests each user's algorithm performance under a vast array of network conditions. This process could be really time-consuming; however an algorithm developed by Winstein and Balakrishnan to speed it up.

The final algorithms produced by Remy can have 150 different TCP rules. They don't resemble anything in the 30 year history of the TCP - says Winstein.

The Remy system will be incredibly useful in creating faster and more efficient algorithms for the TCP congestion control. Read more about the research on source link below-

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    In the hole story,I liked the fact that it had the contribution from a Indian man.
    Hope to see more Indians on lineup.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    TCP Congestion Control is the most direct form of problem that we face. It's important that this research gone on to higher degrees and ultimately makes the internet faster in performance. 👀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I see 40 logged in members! Something I've seen after a really long time - after we got screwed by Google for the nasty 404 errors. Hope the trend continues...
Hi CEians, I got admission in one of the cdac authorised training center, SOFTPOLYNOMIAL (I) pvt. Ltd - Nagpur on PG-IVESD , I don't know whether training and placed are...
I see that the CDAC admission seekers are flooding the site - which is a good thing. I hope CE's providing them all the help they need. I want to...
Dear Friends and Colleagues, I am a post-graduate student at Loughborough University in the School of Civil and Building Engineering. I am in the process of writing my dissertation and...
After the dawn and dusk of All-in-one tablet computers, it's time for the equilibrium of universes that is maintained by the smartphone-camera conjunction to dismantle itself. In simpler words, Sony...