Remove hardcoded subtitles in VLC on Windows or Mac - Anyone?

I have searched far and wide on the internet, but I haven't found a solution. I got a documentary from a friend which has hardcoded Chinese subtitles. Now even though I have found the english subtitles, it's annoying to have those Chinese subtitles feel 1/5th of your screen. There's no separate .srt file in the folder. I have removed the settings for auto selecting the subtitle track.. but that's clearly of no use.

I have been to " Tools -> Preferences (set Show Settings to All) and Video -> Subtitles/OSD
and tried random permutations and combinations of the settings, but it isn't working.

Has anyone tried something similar? Is there a permanent solution to this?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If subtitles can be removed, it's not hard-coded.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    True. I wish there was a work around. Another software to remove hardcoded text from videos, may be? I have heard there are apps to 'extract' hardcoded subtitle text from a .avi / .mkv / .mp4 file. Will have to search. โ˜•๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ˜–
  • lal
    lal
    Hardcoded subtitles are like 'burned' in to the frames. Removing them is like removing the character's face from the played back frames, which is exactly identical to editing a picture and removing/replacing some part of it through a photo editing software like Adobe Photoshop or Gimp. Trouble here is, in a movie there could be 24 to 30 or even more frames played per second. Editing each frame individually (many hundreds of thousands of them) could give a chance, but with a deterioration in quality and flow!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Any idea about what is the technical process of hard coding subtitles in a video file? Is it done during post production?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Any idea about what is the technical process of hard coding subtitles in a video file? Is it done during post production?
    You can use applications like Handbrake, Avidemux,etc. to hardcode subtitles into video file. All you have to select "Burned in" option to do so.
    If you prefer CLI, you can do it with ffmpeg :
    ffmpeg -i video.format -vf subtitles=xyz.srt out.format
    You can even use subtitles from mkv container to your video. Refer : FFmpeg
    I don't remember more.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    there are video editing applications which are used to remove watermarks from the video ,may be that will help๐Ÿ˜จ๐Ÿ‘€
    VirtualDub MSU Logo Remover
    try it
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes. Thanks for the share. That looks like worth a shot. I will find a smaller (under 20mb) hardcoded subtitle video file and see if this helps. That's a lot of efforts though. โ˜•
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I searched again to see if filters work, but most of them seem to say that it's simply not working as intended. Also, when on one of the forums, a person asked if he/she can make the color of the text transparent, the response cracked me up ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ -

Your best bet is to cover up that part of the screen with some electrical tape so you don't have to look at them.
    ๐Ÿ˜˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A lot of people are reaching out to me on social media asking if I have found a solution to this. Sadly, I haven't. Sadly, there isn't a solution to this.

If the subtitles are hard-coded, it's like they are a part of the movie. A part of the scene. No way to remove that.
  • Sri Ram
    Sri Ram
    This worked for me with slight blurring where the inbuilt sub track displayed,
    How to Remove Subtitles from MKV, AVI, and MP4 on Mac or Windows?
    Much more tolerable than two sets of subtitles (Portuguese:embedded and SRT:English).
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Seems a bit harsh to me to remove the part of the video surrounding the subtitle. There could be elements there that aren't worth missing. However, cropping it out is the only available solution. Only how many will choose to do it I wonder..
  • Paawann
    Paawann
    well, contact the Hardcoder who did this to you, and ask him ," bro, always keep a non hard coded copy on torrent site."
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    There are some freeware available on the internet that claim to remove hardcoded subtitles. Some of them say the overall video quality will be reduced and others say they will block that part of the screen.

I think that since there's no sure-short way of removing hardcoded subtitles. But if you can't wait to watch the movie/video, you can be smart and add one subtitle on top of other with a different layer background. This will make it easy to read the new subtitles.

If you are running VLC (the most used software), you have settings to position the new subtitles wherever you want. In fact, VLC allows you to change the subtitle's text color, text's position, font size, font family as well as the overlay effects.

Here's how you can do it:
    1. Go to Tools on the menu bar and hit on 'Preferences'.
    2. In the window that pops up, click 'Subtitles & OSD' option from the left sidebar. (OSD stands for On Screen Display)
    3. Under Display settings, you will see an option called 'Force Subtitle Position'. Here you can enter value in pixels where each pixel defines the position of subtitle from the window's margins.
    Happy binge watching, folks! ๐Ÿ‘
  • justfaced
    justfaced
    You can use Avdshare Video Converter to removing subtitles from MKV with the help of an MKV Subtitle Remover named MKV Subtitle Remover.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    justfaced
    You can use Avdshare Video Converter to removing subtitles from MKV with the help of an MKV Subtitle Remover named MKV Subtitle Remover.
    I sure do hope that this is not an advertisement for the service. There are various ways to remove subtitles from a .MKV file if they are just soft subtitles. There are online subtitle removers for all .avi, .mp4 and .mkv files. Removing hardcoded subs is a different ball game entirely. It's a highly tedious process and may result in deterioration of video quality.
  • Ankit0070
    Ankit0070
    Hey Ankita i m also facing same problem...still i have'nt found any software that can be used to remove hard coded Chinese subtitles... hey guys plzzzz help me
  • emirwati
    emirwati
    I did a little search of this problem and I found no clear cut solution yet. (1) You could crop the part of the film where the subtitles appear, but losing that portion of the image using, for example, iDealshare VideoGo. (2) You could enable new subtitles on top of the old ones and try different fonts, colours and sizes. (3) You could offset the new subtitles to a new area of the screen. (4) My best bet is to download another version of the film.
  • emirwati
    emirwati
    I did a little search for this problem and I found no clear cut solution yet. (1) You could crop the part of the film where the subtitles appear, but losing that portion of the image using, for example, iDealshare VideoGo. (2) You could enable new subtitles on top of the old ones and try different fonts, colours and sizes. (3) You could offset the new subtitles to a new area of the screen. (4) The best option is possibly to download another version of the film.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Did you try that solution?
  • emirwati
    emirwati
    Yes, I did; better try a new download.

Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Did you try that solution?
    Yes, I did; better try a new download.
  • Danny M
    Danny M
    Is there a way to look at the video stream and see if it has hardcoded subs? I am not bothered about adding/removing just to see if they exist?
  • anujsingh786
    anujsingh786
    It can't be removed because it is saved as picture in the frame. Better to download another clean copy.
  • anujsingh786
    anujsingh786
    Hard coding becomes the part of an image in frame, it can not be removed. You can cut that much part of loose video quality, if you try. So look for another clean copy.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Danny M
    Is there a way to look at the video stream and see if it has hardcoded subs?
    When you download video files, in most cases you can check a couple of screenshots or ask the uploaded if it has subs in comments. There's only those 2 ways of finding out if there are hardcoded subs in the file before downloading it.
  • Govind Borgaonkar
    Govind Borgaonkar
    ๐Ÿ˜€
    Nice blog, I found good information here.
    Thanks to all !
  • Govind Borgaonkar
    Govind Borgaonkar
    If subtitles are not hard-coded, most of the times there is .srt file with the same name as video file, you won't see subtitles if filenames are different.

subtitles
    I just found a way to remove hard-coded subtitles, which I didn't like
    they were saying to crop / trim video from bottom using a software

I think there is no other way.
  • Moylius
    Moylius
    Hello, I need help in removing hardcoded subtitle!! I tried in many softwares but I don't know how to remove, so I have searched more and found this on google How To Remove Hardcoded Subtitles | ONLINE & EASY will it work? Looks useful.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

I am not sure if it works, but has anyone tried using MKVToolNix? Not sure if it works. As the name says it is only useful for .mkv files. So .mp4 may not work.

• Akhilesh Pandey
    Akhilesh Pandey

#-Link-Snipped-# Does it crop the video?

#-Link-Snipped-#ร‚ย  Did you find any way to do it without cropping?

Thanks

• Tonya Rabish
    Tonya Rabish

ย use Avdshare Video Converter to Add or remove all kinds of subtitles, like SRT, SSA/ASS, and IDX/SUB to or from MKV, MP4, WMV, MOV, ASF, FLV, AVI, MPEG, etc.See the guide:https://www.avdshare.com/extract-subtitles-from-mkv

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple's got several hundred engineers working on Project Titan - which is an electric car likely in the form of a minivan. The news may come as a surprise to...
Can alcohol be an alternative to fuel? Recently, I saw a video from eHow website where the man (an ASE-certified master mechanic) describes how cars can be converted to run...
If you are the kind of person that thinks that Facebook is a safe repository to store your photos then maybe you should think twice. Recently an Indian, Laxman Mutiyah,...
Apple Inc. has added a layer of security of its messaging and video-conferencing apps- iMessage and FaceTime. The company has introduced 2-step authentication process for user security. Appleโ€™s 2-step security...
Sir i wanna know about the weight mechanism used in lift. how its sensors work when lift is overloaded............