Raspberry Pi Keeps An Eye On Endangered Rhinos In Kenya

Our favourite Micro PC is back in business again, this time it is being used to save lives of endangered rhinos in Tsavo National Park, Kenya. Raspberry Pis have been used to create self contained units that house motion sensors and camera along with satellite communication units. Whenever the motion sensor gets triggered, the cameras capture the images of either people or animals and upload them to the Iridium satellite network from where the images can be downloaded by using an app. The ‘safety-net’ formed by these cameras can now monitor a huge area of the Tsavo National Park of which previously only 8% could be monitored.

Camera

The Instant Wild project has the result of the collaboration between the Kenyan Wildlife Service (KWS), the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) and tech firm Cambridge Consultants. Cambridge Consultants went in favour of Raspberry Pi because of their battery efficiency. To make sure that these units are able withstand the tough conditions of Africa they were subjected to temperature and humidity tests. Since these cameras have been placed near the water-holes where animals frequent, the team as also tried to make sure that these units are able to withstand animal attacks.

The project was funded by Google in early 2013 and they have also been implemented in the jungles of Sri Lanka and Indonesia as well. In the future, the team plans to place these cameras in the Himalayas and the South Pole.

You too can be a part of this initiative, just head over to #-Link-Snipped-# and help them identify the species whose images have been captured and uploaded on the website.

Source: Raspberry Pi aids cyber 'safety net' for African rhino - BBC News Image Courtesy: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A very neat and good initiative by micro pc.This is what a true engineering should be. Application of raspery pi is very astronishing.Could you elaborate its working if you can¿

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A throttling valve is a device that is used to restrict flow to cause a considerable pressure drop. This in turn can cause a large temperature drop, which is why...
hi friends,i have a question..please give me the clear explanation... 1.A belt driven cumulative compounded dc generator is delivering power to the dc mains.if the belt snaps then the machines...
Hello, I was writing a code to find out the number 2^1000. Which is very very large, and no data type can handle this.. Actually I have to use the...
"Since childhood I am told only one thing "Don't dare to dream big. Study well to get a good job". And I betrayed that teaching. I lived the last decade...

hi,

I am Tomato, it's really great to be here... an excellent place for all the Engineers I want to share my knowledge to everyone and also get some knowledge from...