Raijin - The Australian Super Computer Unveiled. Has 160 Tb RAM & 57472 Cores!

Raijin - that is the name of Australia's top supercomputer. The name Raijin comes from Japanese God of thunder, lightning and storms. The top speed Raijin can operate at is about 1200 trillion calculations per second but that's nowhere nearer to Chinese Tianhe-2 the Chinese big brother which can perform over 33860 trillion calculations per second like a pro. The operational speed ranks Raijin at #27th (was ranked #24 during tests) in the world.

slide

The Raijin operates on 57,472 cores (Intel Xeon Sandy Bridge 2.6 GHz), Mellanox FDR interconnect, 160 Tbytes of main memory, 10 Pbytes of usable fast file system and runs the OneSIS cluster manager along with PBS Pro workflow manager.

The supercomputer will be used to process and analyse huge volumes of data collected for the climate research, weather mapping and water management primarily.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Not even in radar of Chinese Tianhe-2.
    By the way, What is Mellanox FDR Interconnect & PBS Pro workflow manager ? 😨
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Not even in radar of Chinese Tianhe-2.
    By the way, What is Mellanox FDR Interconnect & PBS Pro workflow manager ? 😨
    Raijin is using PBSPro for job scheduling and accounting. This means that existing vayu batch scripts will need some editing to run on raijin. Details of the required changes will be given in the User Guide but please check it regularly as these may change.

Read more about it on the source link.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Since I have certain amount of interest in the Japanese culture, here are my two pennies - His name is derived from the Japanese words rai (雷, meaning ‘thunder’) and shin (神, ‘god’ or 'kami'). He is typically depicted as a demon-looking spirit beating drums to create thunder.

Some Japanese parents tell their children to hide their belly buttons (or navels) during thunderstorms. This is due to a folk belief that Raijin is sometimes credited with eating the navels or abdomen of children, and in the event of thunder, parents traditionally tell their children to hide their navels so that they are not taken away. 😡

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can you guys please suggest me Journals to Publish Technical Papers ? Is it advisable to publish major project of 7th semester ? How much is fee for same ?
Google India has killed the music search service it had launched back in 2010. The service allowed people to search bollywood songs offered for online listening by partner sites like...
why dont heavy vehicles like trucks have an airodynamic front like the normal cars
I'm curious to know why do we have 2 ctrl,shift and alt keys on our keyboard ? Does each side keys have different functions? Know that it is a very...
It can be said without any doubt that the 2013 MacBook Air is an excellent notebook when it comes to performance and battery life, but the one thing missing from...