RAID-5 configuration

Hi all, can anyone tell about RAID-5 configuration? if we have ten hard disks to connect with the help of RAID-5, how to we 'll do it and how many hard disks failure it will support for fault tolrance?

Replies

• pradeep_agrawal
    pradeep_agrawal
    engineer_vinay
    can anyone tell about RAID-5 configuration?
    RAID5 is based on parity so is called as Parity RAID. It checks data using parity. There is no dedicated drive here like RAID level 3 & 4, so parity information is distributed among all drives. So it is known as rotating parity array. It requires minimum three drives for implementation & no. of logical drives is one less then that of physical drives.

For more details and dig. see #-Link-Snipped-#

engineer_vinay
    if we have ten hard disks to connect with the help of RAID-5, how to we 'll do it and how many hard disks failure it will support for fault tolrance?
    The configuration will remain same, i.e., distribution of parity among all the disk as shown in above link. RAID5 support recovery from failure of only one hard disk. There is RAID6 that support failure from two hard-disk, but is less common.

-Pradeep
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Well, I do not wish to confuse any further 😀, but you can have parity RAID on a single drive in RAID5 as well. Add Mirroring to this configuration and you can support upto 2 of those 5 hdds going down.
  • pradeep_agrawal
    pradeep_agrawal
    kidakaka
    you can have parity RAID on a single drive in RAID5 as well.
    Is having parity on a single drive are not property of RAID3 and RAID4?

kidakaka
    Add Mirroring to this configuration and you can support upto 2 of those 5 hdds going down.
    What kind of mirroring are you thinking to do to support up to 2 hard disk fail overs? Probably mirroring parity disk in your case may not serve the purpose. Mirroring the data drives can solve the purpose, but it will lead to [FONT=arial, helvetica]how ratio of ECC (Parity) disks to data disks means low efficiency, whereas the main advantage of RAID5 is [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]low ratio of ECC (Parity) disks to data disks means high efficiency.

-Pradeep
    [/FONT]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

wat software is used for reading pdf files in VISTA???
Testing something.. *ahem* Hmm.. the images get displayed in the editor when you first insert it, but it doesnt display in the forum itself. Mystery!
Hi Everybody, I have gone through ZOHO website.. They have provided lots and lots of online tools for collaborative editing... It will easy for share our ideas and working together...
hey guys plz help me out.....i m keen on doin ma further studies bt do nt knw wht to do...plzz tell me various options available......
hi guys.what if we have a color changing template installed to our forum.it will be cool idea to implement.