Ragging In Engineering Colleges: Do we really need to ban it?

Every year, there's a lot of fuss over the ragging in engineering colleges. There's a law that says ragging is a crime.

However, I've personally known many engineering students who think ragging is necessary as it's a way of building friendships between the first year students and seniors.

What is your opinion?

Replies

• sushant005
    sushant005
    In my view Ragging is necessary to maintain the level of seniority and the juniority in colleges.I think ragging is just the introduction part of freshers.And yes, it is also true true that ragging should not be physical there must be some limit.
    Ragging the just the way to know each other in formal way(introduction).

As a whole i think ragging is essential but have to maintain some limit.It should not be physical.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I agree with sushant...ragging is necessary as in my college there is complete restriction over ragging. In fact here seniors are afraid of juniors and its really difficult to communicate with seniors. I think ragging should be allowed at least till introduction level.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Does ragging mean hazing? If so, I think it has no place in higher education except for fraternal organizations/groups/clubs which students have the option to join if they so choose.
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    If we have to introduce with juniors, then it can be done by welcome parties for them. That will be helpful to produce a +ve and friendly environment among both. So, why ragging? If we have better altermative.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Along to what BCA points out, ragging doesnt really induce the ideal "ice breaking" session between juniors and seniors. Don't tell me seniors are only capable of bullying juniors to be friends? 😉 If seniors can't find a more mature way to communicate, then thats something that needs to be addressed.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    In fact here seniors are afraid of juniors and its really difficult to communicate with seniors.
    strange

well in my opinion ragging is ok if it is in limits,
    previously it was way of achieving better communication between seniors and juniors ,but today due to few dirty elements ,the actual meaning of ragging has changed .
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Ragging to a soft limit is quite important for the maturity of a fresher. When a fresher arrives to a college, he don't knows the difference between a school & college and is very prone to emotional instability. minor raggings such as formal introduction is necessary to become friendly with the seniors & get their aid in studies. It imparts maturity to the student & adds emotional stability.
    Ragging shouldn't be allowed to cross the ethical limit which the victim finds hard to bear. Gruesome ragging sometimes leaves an indelible mark on the psychology of the victim which he finds hard to bear. These are the cases which results in suicide, however if one has the gut to bear it, the memory haunts him all his life. And majority of such people do the same things to their juniors as an act of retribution & the vicious cycle continues.
    Complete banning of ragging will definitely oust the stigma from the college campuses but it also has some side-effects. Now seniors don't communicate with juniors due to ego problems (of both juniors & seniors) or any irresponsible act may cost their future on being accused of ragging. Juniors & seniors communication gap increases, no study aid, no collaborated efforts in techfests or cultural fests. Final conclusion, the long tradition & culture of college is erased & academic result of college goes down. The channel of passing on ideas, culture, tradition is being broken.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    We don't need ragging to EASE the students into the college. Common man, sometimes ragging even if not physical does is humiliating man!What kind of a preverted mind would want to derive pleasure seeing some hapless fresher insulted & laughed at by the entire crowd? Specially in engg. where schedules are already stressful & where FE admissions take place late, no one should rag ppl. Every college usually has a freshers EVE which is good enough to put the frehers at ease. Down with RAGGING!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    I have said, ragging to ethical limit is okay like formal introduction. Publicly humiliating someone, don't comes under ethical limit. What I have said is pragmatic way of looking at the matter. The point is that after college, a person is released to the outer world where he or she will be humiliated & exploited. You are not suppose to behave like a sissy school boy in the professional life. College life provides maturity & sense to cater with difficult situation. Although people should avoid physical or mental abuse which they wouldn't liked if they were in the victim's shoes.
    It's better to adopt a flexible & pragmatic thinking instead of opposing the anything adamantly.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    i have studied in an army college, the ragging that we had to endure was physical as well as mental. first off - formal introduction is not ragging, trust me!! ragging is when a senior literally kicks your a**.

we had to shave our heads, wear formal dress and keep our heads lowered so that we could only see our third button the whole ragging period. and this is the fun part of ragging!! imagine doing a pole dance on a 1960's hindi movie song.. we had to do all sorts of things, but when the ragging period was over the seniors who ragged us the most, were the people who we could depend on. We could borrow their bikes, use their computers and stuff. they were more like friends than seniors after that.

if i could choose between my college and a college "without ragging" i would choose my college in a heartbeat.

that said, ragging should have certain limits. I've seen my share of ragging. we were never humiliated in public, most of the ragging used to take place in the hostel. if a senior did cross the limits, his seniors/batchmates would "take care" of him.
  • Leo
    Leo
    So all you think you can't become good friends of your junior students without harassing them in one or another form. When i was in college i never gave any ragging, i had taken full support in this case by anti-ragging committee of college and still i had good relationship with my seniors. People think ragging is necessary just because they were ragged and sorry if my view is different. When i was teen I was very aggressive and use to fight frequently with people around me, when i stared boxing, stepped first time inside ring and got several punches on my face i got how much people around me use to get hurt when i used to harass them just because i used to become angry for no reason. I understood sometimes its just good to let things go and try to pardon. All i can think is that you think ragging is necessary just because you got ragged and the feeling to take revenge in same manner turns you against your own juniors because seniors that harassed you are now your friends. I never ragged anyone nor i get ragged, my juniors, my seniors and my classmates still call me the person who always stands on his view no matter who is standing against me. All you said that ragging builds good relationship between junior and seniors, when i was in college my seniors also used to tell me this but i never budged and in all those four years i stayed in college i proved everyone of them wrong and i also take pride for that.
  • greatman
    greatman
    The root cause of ragging is that someone has beaten, teased or done any kind of bad thing and they still have anger in them. Hence the seniors want to beat someone else to remove their anger. If we add a rule that beating is correct until you got beaten and later tell its not okay, its not justice to them. Its not a good practice though and should be stopped.... Who has the right to beat another. And does anyone who says that ragging is correct, ready to undergo again?
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    RAGGING : the most dreadfull thing i have ever heard of !
  • Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    Ragging is something which is a need to an extend. A person who is introduced into a new environment takes time to get used to it. Homesick people who needs to fill their mind with something important will feel this as useful after some days. Ragging days were the most memorable days of my college life. It had the most funniest moments me and my batchmates shared together. I got so many seniors as my close friends list, just because of this. To get to know people, just introducing to someone isn't enough, if you ask me. Physical should be there only upto a limit, if the freshers need to be corrected in some way
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Ragging is just a phooey thing.I mean those who do ragging are only a year or two elder to us.Just slap them on face if they try to assault you.Again you have a number of friend behind you.You can teach them a lesson.
    If your colleagues try to do ragging then stop him if he has any ill intentions in mind
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i want to say one thing
    we shouldnt make juniors to fear and we shouldnt make it to too delicate students
    if a junior behaviour is bad we can rag them
  • jenna
    jenna
    In my opinion ragging should be banned completely. There are definitely better ways of making friends than to corner up a fresher and ask him to narrate everything about his life without smiling, ny constantly using the words sir or madam. Besides teling ppl wat to wear, wat to eat, where to sit nd eat is definitely crossing the limit. BTW ragging is smthing that happens only in india, pakistan, sri lanka and nepal. It doesnt happen anywhere else. Even making freshers write seniors assignments is pure stupidity. I mean why do u even hav 2 come 2 college if u cant even do ur own work properly? Doing work for a college group or club is very different frm actually writing somebody else's hw. Ragging needs to stop ASAP!!!!
  • Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    I beg to differ with each of them who considers Ragging is necessary with limits. I believe it must be completely banned. I would definitely back my statement up in next few lines, but before that I would like to mention what google, wikipedia jointly reply me if I search "Ragging". There's a complete separate article named "Ragging in India" and I have to say wiki clearly explains and supports that it's a punishable offense.

In school we also had Junior-Senior division and I must emphasize the fact, irrespective of seniority communication among all of us was smooth and friendly. At least students used to respect teachers and think of school mates as companions. I am amazed to see just after high school everything changes. Juniors fear seniors not 'cause they respect them, rather 'cause they fear they would receive colloquial slang, physical and mental torture and harassment for nothing. Even if I accept, without ragging so called seniors will face inferiority complex or other similar ego issues, isn't it much better than bullying other person who is dubbed "junior" just 'cause he entered the college one-three years later? Isn't it seniors responsibility to introduce themselves and the college to juniors as they came first, they know the place better than juniors? May be, seniors might actually do this in home if he has a little brother or sister but not in college. why?

As far as limit is concerned, ragging even in dictionary comes without limit. And limit is completely a relative term , so why put something which might mean something to me and something else to someone else? And ragging is no way the broad spectrum of "introduction". Introduction is what it is, knowing each other, talking, being friendly...putting it on a large scale, being friends.

However I understand the feelings of seniors. Even I am in the working senior most batch in my college, but I treat my feelings with compassion. On large scale I am afraid, it might be considered as a psychological disorder. And truly speaking, I don't want to run to my psychiatrist once more for such petty issues. I think we all have better works in hand to do than bullying and feeling pleasure.

On a serious note, Education is very very important. And education never mean mugging up books and jotting it down in exam. It includes (but not limited to) understanding moral responsibilities. If seniors and juniors try to be cooperative, with experience and new talent in the group can reproduce some great output, may be the next great innovation can occur. Shedding tears and blood, rage and anger never help.
  • Alokik Singh
    Alokik Singh

Ragging is just for fun entertainment amusement and pleasure . Mind your own work this is a cruel world. Concern with yourself only . Maje lene ke liye . participating in ragging is the sign of overconfidence all those in good colleges become over confident and they think now we will trouble others and enjoy our life . They want to show their Supreme Power.  This is because it happened with them . Now they want to get revenge. How stupid . Focus on yourself only . Competition is very very tough you have to become selfish to destroy the competition .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I'm new here, so a quick introduction is in order I think 😀 I'm 16, and I enjoy physics, so naturally I decided that I would become an engineer....
A Noida based Mobile handset Manufacturer Lava International claim that Lava B5 is the first mobile to be launched with the Indian Rupee symbol. Now no need to write RS...
Let's nominate our favorite CEans for various titles. Let's see what everyone thinks. 😀 Following are the categories - Most Active CEan: Most Talented CEan: Funniest CEan: CEans We Miss...
hello guys,, my self have interest in face detection....so what are all the ideas as you know using face detection please help me...
hello 😀 i am preparing for my first aptitude test... any suggestions?? how do go ahead with it?? plz help.