Question: would you be interested in this kind of software for work?

I'm an engineer working in transportation. In my previous life, I worked as a software developer. So, when I started working as an engineer, I started writing an application largely to make my life easier. The app is designed to work on tablets and PC's. I'm in the process of adapting it to smartphones as well. The data is saved automatically and sync between my devices in real time, so that when I come back to my office from the field, I can simply put my tablet down and continue working on my PC in the office. No need to transfer data over. Data in all my devices sync in real time.

So, what exactly does my program do? It simplifies my report writing and calculations. For example, the front page would have auto-suggestions so that when I start typing the pay-item (either description or item number) the app would suggest the items. This way, I don't have to go through my spreadsheets to hunt down the pay items. It also tells me how it's paid (sq yd or ft or whatever).

Another thing that it does is generate a report that includes detail calculations and yields. All I have to do is do the field measurements and put into my tablet the values and everything is calculated. Look at the attached screenshots for an idea of what I mean.

It's been a hobby and it just makes my life easier. Instead of digging through paper records when I need to confirm something, all I do is go through my saved files. Everything is saved by the date that the report was generated.

I like it because it looks more professional than the traditional way, which is all hand written.

I continue to add new functions to it as time goes largely for my personal use. Do you think something like this has a place in the market?

PS - Auditors and IDOT reps haven't said anything, so I'm assuming they're ok with my reports.

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I think this can be useful... Depends on exactly how it's implented....

Why not add this to the Project section so as CEans can have a better idea ?
  • livingenzyme
    livingenzyme
    Sanyam Khurana
    I think this can be useful... Depends on exactly how it's implented....

Why not add this to the Project section so as CEans can have a better idea ?
    Good idea. I'll compose a more complete picture of my software for the project section when I get home from work. Thanks 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Abstract The purpose of this project is to modernize the civil/structural consulting engineering profession and increase the efficiency and proficiency of the work-load for both the consultants and the contractors...
A few days ago, new stable iteration of Google Chrome 35 and Chromium 35 was released that included many new features such as migration from GTK +2 to AURA, App-Launcher...
How to take part in discussion and more importantly some introduction please
I've been trying to download the public beta (non-developer) license of OSX Yosemite, which Apple announced just a few hours ago at WWDC 2014. Apple said that the preview will...
The next time you fall sick and need a thermometer to measure the temperature you will be able to tell it 3 times more accurately than what the best thermometers...