Qitah Wireless Charger Offers 'Natural' Wireless Charging!

Tapan Mittal, an electrical engineer from Delhi isn't happy with the way wireless chargers are designed to function. They require you to place your phone flat on the wireless charging dock. Tapan believes that wireless charging should be more natural and that's why he's developing a blind positioning wireless charger. He calls it 'Qitah' and it will charge your phone in portrait, landscape and skewed placement. Tapan is raising about $80k for his project on Indiegogo and if you like the idea, we'd like you to support Tapan's project by donating to it. Check the source link for details.

slide
Qitah uses a three coil system and 40 degree incline combined with a soft 'SmartGrip' that holds your phone in both landscape and portrait positions. Tapan says the Qitah makes the whole wireless charging business so straightforward that you'll even forget that you need to charge. Qitah's charging is built on Qi 1.1 - the latest in wireless charging standards.

Qitah will charge your phone in almost the same time as your regular wired charger and it will work with most of the phones capable of wireless charging. It works even with phone cover on. You'll still need to keep the phone in closer proximity with Qitah as distant wireless charging is still a dream.

The overall project requirements are as follows: 1. High Quality Injection Modeling Tool: $25k 2. Certifications - $15k 3. Manufacturing costs - $40k. Check out the video that explains the project below-

โ€‹
Source: Qitah - Blind Positioning Wireless Charger! | Indiegogo
โ€‹

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    PS: If you have questions for Tapan, you may ask them here. We'll hope he'll join in to answer them ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its nice to hear that Indians are becoming leaders in innovation. It will be nice if he was selected by some mobile manufactures and encourage him provided he should be compensated with worthy money
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    What would be the normal functioning range of these chargers? Will you also develop a device which can be used in phones that do not have an in-built wireless charging system right now?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Project proposal in both the sites look awesome and great description here Big Guy

But is it feasible Cos earlier tech allowed just 4 cm movement from the charging outlet So what exactly is the range and power utilisation of the device

Why is a special angle chosen ? Any peculiar reason for that
  • Qitah
    Qitah
    Thanks for the write up, Kaustubh. I'll be happy to answer queries ๐Ÿ˜€

Nayan, the Qi standard is based on proximity power (5mm typically), at least for now. The idea is to efficiently transfer power and have inter-operable devices so that you can use the same charger for a phone you buy 2 years hence. As for the Qitah (and all the other wireless chargers out there), you need to place your phone on the charger for transfer to take place. It will work through cases as no efficiency is lost upto 8mm.
    For non-Qi equipped phones, there are simple solutions for some models, for example the QiCard as you saw in the - YouTubeat 2:24
    For iPhones (since you can't open them) and some other phones, you'll need a case (which IMO is a bit off as it adds to the size).
    But the success of the ecosystem will largely be governed by how soon all phone manufacturers integrate this technology in more phone models, rather than just the top models.

Jeffrey, I hope my reply to Nayan clarified on the range bit. Power ustilization from the grid is about 7-8 Watts when supplying power to the phone. When not, it just pings the environment looking for a Qi device and that is a matter of a few milliwatts.
    Why a special angle was chosen:
    Our phones run out of battery every evening. It's not that we can't charge them, it's just that wired charging is so restrictive that we don't think of charging at 70%, 40% or even 20% battery level. At 10%, it's too late.
    When I designed the Qitah, I knew plugging in was not a big hassle. But being plugged in was killing my phone experience. The Qitah was thus designed to enhance usage, and hence an angle was chosen that lets you view and interact with your phone comfortable, without knowing that it's meant to charge your phone. This means you'll swipe on the phone one handed, and you don't have to disengage from your laptop when an ignore-worthy notification pops up. You won't have to pick up the phone for most tasks. And when you do need to, you just pick it up and go.

I talk a lot.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hey @#-Link-Snipped-# - It's very nice of you to join us on CrazyEngineers. Thank you for answering the queries. Tagging @#-Link-Snipped-# and @#-Link-Snipped-# to carry the discussion forward.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Quite convinced. I still would like to know if the charger can be integrated with internal regulator to monitor power output since many devices have different requirements. If fixed on one setting, it may be low for some phones and too high for others. In 2 years if u talk abt, the battery size will increase and so will the consumption rate. Screens will be ultra hd. The charger as u launch should be multi utility and long lasting
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Great product after all mate

Nice to hear from you personally here in CE And doubts cleared mate

I think a hands on experience is what all need now
  • Qitah
    Qitah
    Nayan Goenka
    Quite convinced. I still would like to know if the charger can be integrated with internal regulator to monitor power output since many devices have different requirements. If fixed on one setting, it may be low for some phones and too high for others. In 2 years if u talk abt, the battery size will increase and so will the consumption rate. Screens will be ultra hd. The charger as u launch should be multi utility and long lasting
    The current Qi spec mandates that the charger supply only the amount of power that the phone asks for, with a max of 5W. So devices that require lesser power (like the agent smart watch) are taken care of.
    For those that might require more power:
    Yes, batteries will get bigger, but consider this..
    all we care is that our phone keeps running, battery level is immaterial so long as it's alive. So speed of charging is not the issue. It's more important that the charger be such that I place my ph on it instinctively so that my ph battery never runs out. For all of us who have desk jobs, it works well.
    Zero to hundred will be imp for ppl with field jobs though, so for them it might be iffy.

Having used the qitah for a few months, I can say I don't have to look at the battery icon any more, although I might be accused of heavy bias ๐Ÿ˜€

@#-Link-Snipped-# a hands on experience is a while away, hope I can get there soon.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    How about this?

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

pay

why do people always back on higher pays at initial stages??
Hi all.. Whats your second opinion after engineering(may be engineering is second ๐Ÿ˜€ )But what is the other field you desired to be in.. We may see what type of...
Phones may carry a part of activity of a pc but its never a competitor to it. Both are different. It may be any kind of ultra modern technology but...
Some tips what is individual responsibility lead to and what an individual can contribute in maintaining a good environment?
For most of us,the first sem or first year would be common to all branches. A IT Guy must do welding,lathe,plumbing etc., a mechanical guy would need to go around...