Prototype Display Technology Could Make Reading Glasses Obsolete

Researchers at University of California, Berkeley and MIT's Media Lab are working in collaboration with Microsoft on a display that compensates for vision defects in people. The technology uses algorithms to anticipate how the user's eyes distort the image and adjusts it beforehand to bypass the function of corrective lenses entirely. The algorithm works on the pixel-level to create a sharp image on the retina. Not only does this technique assist people with hypermetropia (long-sightedness) but also circumvents serious vision defects such as spherical aberration that cannot be corrected with glasses.
glasses
The concept has been tried out before but this new approach animates a sharper and higher-contrast image. The researchers tested using a Canon DSLR Camera with focus set to simulate a poor vision. The images were displayed on an iPod Touch affixed with a plastic screen pierced with thousands of tiny, evenly spaced holes. This creates a "light field display" that results in a sharper image with no loss to contrast. There are still many challenges to conquer. For example, the screen is customized for a certain focal length and requires the eyes to be still. But the scientists behind this technology are positive that these can be overcome over the next few years. A paper on this technology will be published in SIGGRAPH, in Vancouver, Canada in August.

Unfortunately, there's not much this technology does to alleviate the miseries of the myopic. For near-sighted people (like yours truly), there are less sophisticated ways at disposal lest we forget our glasses.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I need Standard reference books for Gate cse. I googled it and couldnt find standard books for all the subjects. Could someone post them for all the subjects in...
I have a SanDisk 16GB pendrive, when i'm trying to copy any content from USB to PC or viceversa its showing "Your Disk is Write Protected". Same is the case...
i am 2012 batch passout ece, graduate searching for jobs other than which involve programming ,due to family problems i started my career intially in a wrong way b doing...
Hi CE'ans ! Glad to post my new Question here ! Currently iam working on a RTC (Abracon AB 1804) chip.When i referred a schematic there was a connection denoted...
Quote: Barcelona, Spain-based R&D firm Avinent, in partnership with the software development company Droiders, has developed Avinent Glass, a new app for Google Glass that guides and assists surgeons through...