Protecting Your Google Nexus Phone From Flash SMS Based DoS Attack

Google Nexus owners across the world are concerned regarding the well-being of their beloved smartphone after learning about Flash SMS based denial-of-service attacks that can affect the performance of several flagship Android smartphones which run Android 4.x firmware. The issue was discovered by Bogdan Alecu who says that if an attacker sends a large number of Class 0 SMS or Flash SMS and if the receiver does not discard them in time then the phone malfunctions in one of the following ways:

(a) The phone reboots and after the reboot if the SIM is protected by a PIN then it would not be able to connect to the network.
(b) The phone loses connection to the cellular network temporarily.
(c) The messaging app crashes causing a system restart.

Google Nexus 5

The scariest part of this attack as mentioned on #-Link-Snipped-# is that threat prone devices like Google Galaxy Nexus, LG Nexus 4 and LG Nexus 5 do not have audio notifications for Class 0 SMS/Flash SMS so the victim has no way of knowing when he/she is being attacked unless they are looking directly at the screen. Google representatives say that they are looking into the problem but did not reveal any tentative date for a bug fix.

If you want immediate solution though, folks over at #-Link-Snipped-# have stumbled on a free app developed by Silent Services that can protect you from this exploit. The #-Link-Snipped-# is based on the observations made by Alecu. According to Alecu, the problem occurs when around thirty Flash SMS are received by the Android smartphone, so the app helps you set threshold values and the block duration for such messages. The first field in the app is meant for setting the maximum number of messages per minute and the second field is used to alter the time limit. The app blocks the stream of Class 0 messages and safeguards your Nexus smartphone. The app will be getting additional features in its next version which will release soon.

Class0 Firewall 1 Class0 Firewall 2 Class0 Firewall 3

Replies

• jayjay
    jayjay
    not concerned at all (nexus 5 owner)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Helllo guys, I have been following CE discussions regarding CDAC for a while and i want to present a very odd situation of mine ( read as "problem" ). I...
What is red hat linux?
How to install red hat linux? and how to download it
In the weekend Xolo and Idea have unveiled smartphones which offer Android Jelly Bean experience at affordable rates. The Xolo Q500 and Idea Aurus 4 have been priced at Rs...
I want to purachase a laptop for normal use. I have option either sony or hp .which brand is best for normal use.......?