Projects Related Questions In Interview

I have made a project called music.com in my final year which is songs related website. I want to know what kind of questions should i prepare before appearing for an interview.

Project Name : Music.com
Front End : Asp.net
Back End : sql

Brief Into : Its a songs site where a user an play, download songs & visit all albums.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why not tell us what your project does? Give us more details so that we can tell you what type of questions to expect.
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    ya... we need more description
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    okk

Music.com which is a information portal to provide latest music albums, movies available in india & world. A user can select a category of albums, select a song, can download it, can download the whole album and even play the songs.

Admin can upload the songs on the portal. Also admin have rights only to add, edit, delete albums of songs.

An inquiry page is there, with the help of which the users can contact admin.

Project Name : Music.com
    Front End : Asp.net
    Back End : sql
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    o.k. these type of que.s they may ask..

1. Why did you selected this topic???(because it is entertainment related na...)
    2. How you can provide security to the content in the portal??
    3. Is it for a third party or for the music composers???
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    1) We (my friend & i ) are very fun loving persons. We wanted to make a project in which we can enjoy ourselves while working. But its not just for entertainment purpose.

2) we wanted to add something for security purposes like purchasing system via any credit card or paypal. We tried alot & did some search on it but we couldn't able to do it.

3) Its for music composers specially who loves their fans and want to share songs with all of them. I think with this project they can attract more consumer in a wider range. There are many students who are pursing their studies & sing. They always upload their songs on net. So this project gonna help them in creating their own music portal.

Hope i answered well. Comments are welcome ๐Ÿ˜€
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    For the second question you can simply answer:

"only registered users' can access to the content...."

1st and 3rd answers are fine and acceptible...
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Another question... What have you decided about the IP Challenges you might face? Since it is going to be music, the copyright holders might not like it to be used public, right? And are you going to host them for listening or just listing?
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    K!r@nS!ngu
    For the second question you can simply answer:

"only registered users' can access to the content...."

1st and 3rd answers are fine and acceptible...
    Thanks for your reply. But anyone can download the songs. its open for public users.

What have you decided about the IP Challenges you might face?
    Can you describe it in a little more detail. I didn't get it.

Since it is going to be music, the copyright holders might not like it to be used public, right? And are you going to host them for listening or just listing?
    Read my 3rd answer bro. I think both the questions are same.

@Praveen Bro, you didn't respond to my last PM. If you can help me then do reply. I would appreciate it. Thanks ๐Ÿ˜€
    *pushkar*
    @Praveen Bro, you didn't respond to my last PM. If you can help me then do reply. I would appreciate it. Thanks ๐Ÿ˜€
    I couldn't see your message, I didn't get it! Send me once again! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, IP related questions could be one of the most obvious questions. Few more questions that might be asked -
    • How would this website scale? Each song on an average occupies about 4mb space.
    • How does the search engine work? How will it work when the database grows to several thousands of GB?
    • How do you control bandwidth. Streaming content would usually load the server and each a ton of bandwidth.
    • How are you ensuring the security of your website?
    • What kind of hosting environment does your website need?
    • What browser types and versions does your website / web service support?
    • What are the minimum connection speed requirements? What if the user does not meet the requirements.
    • Do you use Javascript on your website? If yes, how does your website handle the browsers with JS turned off. ๐Ÿ˜€
    ...and such questions.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Few more questions that might be asked -
    • How would this website scale? Each song on an average occupies about 4mb space.
    I do agree but now a days all hosting companies provides good space & bandwidth. I dont think they would be any problem of such kind.
    • How does the search engine work?
    We can add tages in the header part related to the site contents so that search engineer can works.

• How do you control bandwidth. Streaming content would usually load the server and each a ton of bandwidth.
    We can start with the shared server and can shift to the VPS or dedicated server according to our needs.
    • How are you ensuring the security of your website?
    Already Answered.
    • What kind of hosting environment does your website need?
    I think i have answered it in the above question.
    • What browser types and versions does your website / web service support?
    We had checked it on IE & Mozilla. I think there would be no problem of this kind of.
    • What are the minimum connection speed requirements? What if the user does not meet the requirements.
    Its normal like you need it to download a song.
    • Do you use Javascript on your website? If yes, how does your website handle the browsers with JS turned off.
    No Javasript. We made it with asp.net only

How will it work when the database grows to several thousands of GB?
    Does it creates any problem? I don't know.. can you help me
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Pushkar: Be aware that lot of web hosts do not allow streaming content on their webservers. You need to declare that to the hosts before you begin hosting content that will be streamed. The interviewer might grill you on it.
    My best suggestion would be having it in the home server itself and map the dynamic or static IP address with your domain. You have a lot of tools like DynDNS, etc. and moreover 8 mbps connection is also becoming cheap. What's your go on this Biggie?
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Well i think there are many good webhosts like hostgator ( which i had used ), Liquidweb etc. We can start with any shared server which is good to start and if we are starting getting good no. of visitors and need more bandwidth then we can shift to Virtual Private server and with an excellent traffic we can also shift to dedicated server. I think i am right.. Am i??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    My best suggestion would be having it in the home server itself and map the dynamic or static IP address with your domain. You have a lot of tools like DynDNS, etc. and moreover 8 mbps connection is also becoming cheap. What's your go on this Biggie?
    Server in home? ๐Ÿ˜จ

For a small website that does not need 99.99% uptime can run on a home based server that can connect to the Internet. But 8 Mbps connection for streaming content isn't enough. Plus if the site grows, maintaining a larger dedicated server at home isn't an easy job. You're going to need 24x7 monitoring. Not to forget the 24x7 power supply and keeping the server up all the time. On the top of that, if the HDD crashes; then you'll have to take the server down! What about backups?

I'd rather pay a little extra to a good web hosting provider than host the server myself.

A VPS server may not necessarily be an 'upgrade' over shared hosting; as against the popular belief. I used to think the same when I realized that I was far better on a shared server than a VPS. A VPS actually limits the memory you can use. If your memory limit is 1 GB, then you can't exceed that limit. However, on a shared server; the memory is dynamically allotted to the web accounts running on it. From my experience, a shared hosting can sometimes handle traffic spikes better than VPS.

The limitation that shared hosting puts is that they'll give you limited file storage space; while on VPS, you'll usually have more storage. A dedicated server too has its own limitations. The latest buzz in town is cloud - where you can adjust the memory & storage space quickly (within 1 hour) without worrying about hardware replacements.
    You would be having full control over the system and yeah, maintenance cost is there. But, if you host any kinda files, there won't be anyone to question right? I mean, you don't need to ask the host then and there to ask for permission for hosting Streaming Media, MP3s, etc. And moreover, you are the admin and there is no restriction. Like once I had an attack on my site because of a loophole in Wordpress TinyMCE and all my sites were affected. After that the hosting company had placed a hell lot of stupid rules and restrictions! These things can be avoided right?
  • Krishna Vedulla
    Krishna Vedulla
    Its a really great discussion i found..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    In my experience, these are the questions that the invigilator/interviewer asks -

1. How is your project different than >
    2. How did you develop a particular module of this project? 3. Why did you choose this particular platform to develop this application/tool/software?
    4. What is the scope of improvement if time/money is allotted to this project?

I am going for a generic series here. If you want to know the specific questions asked about a certain project, reply with your brief project description below.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have searched a lot on the internet, but couldn't find any good link. There are a lot of certifications available but I couldn't find any degree. Please advise me...
Hello CEans. I hope you all are having a great weekend. I am curious to know about LinkedIn. Is it same as any other social networking site? I heard a...
Hello everybody, I am an electronics and communication engineering student studying in Final year. I have been placed in prestigious software company which gives salary 3 lacs p.a. I am...
I have some ideas, such as these: Android-based Prescription Viewer Application Children Tracking System Using Bluetooth MANET Composed of Android Mobile Terminals Network-Assisted Mobile Computing with Optimal Uplink Query Processing...
frnds.. we are planning to conduct a national level technical symposium for the first time in our college.. and i am the organizer of this fest .. so can anybody...