Project Ara Update: Google Announces Module Developer Kit Ahead of Developer Conference

Google’s ambitious Project Ara has got a major update today with the release of its first Module Developer Kit (MDK) v0.10. Paul Eremenko, head of Project Ara made the announcement via a blog post on Google+. With its release, MDK has caught attention of developers worldwide as Google has also planned Google's Developer Conference On Project Ara Scheduled On April 15-16. Though MDK is still in its initial version, the goal is to provide an opportunity and input to developers which would help Google to develop complete and elegant final MDK, expected to release by end of 2014.

ara_device

The newly released MDK includes guidelines for developers to design Project Ara smartphones. It would also provide reference implementations for various design features. Google has introduced endoskeleton, to keep a module such as a processor, display device, extra battery or keyboard. Documentation suggests three skeleton sizes for Ara devices- mini, medium and jumbo. Here, mini would refer to a basic unit, whereas medium and jumbo refers to a mainstream unit and a phablet size unit respectively.

Google released the glimpse of its Project Ara earlier at an event in San Francisco along with a demo of its non-functional Wi-Fi model. As of now, it is expected that Google itself will be the only provider of Ara skeletons, but rumours also hint at smaller modules being made available from third party developers. Rumours about Project Ara are heating up since January, when #-Link-Snipped-#. It would be interesting to see how this project takes shape in the tech market. We look forward to your views and opinions on Project Ara!

Here is a gallery of Project Ara device-

ara_device1 ara_device2 ara_device3 ara_device4

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#| #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Netradeep Dhonde
    Netradeep Dhonde
    It will be available in probably three different sizes - mini(2*5 blocks), medium(3*6) and a future release of large(4*7) is expected.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Did you exercise your right? Did you #voteforindia #generalelections2014 #loksabhaelections2014 ??? If Yes, please say 'AYE' and hope for a better and stronger India...
The Gionee Elife E7 Mini smartphone has been launched in India today at a price of Rs. 19,500. Last year, the company had unveiled the Gionee Elife E7 in China...
HI CEans . I know that most of the CEans out there must be a first time voters and I am desperate to know the pulse of India on my...
Lava has come up with a new low-budget smartphone for the Indian market called the Lava IRIS 406Q. The brand new entrant in the popular Lava series of smartphones is...
Am taking my final year studies and soon will be required to come up with an innovative project.. Have an idea on taking register on students who are in class...