Problem in Transesterification process of Neem oil:

Hi friends. I am doing a project on "Performance test on single cylinder diesel engine fuelled with Neem biodiesel"
I had started the process of extraction of biodiesel from Neem oil using transestrification.
I followed the procedure as below:
1) Heated Neem oil to 110 degree celcius to remove any water content.
2) Allow it to cool and when it reach 45-55 degree , Add a solution of (Methanol+NaOH pellets) and transfer the solution to a bottle.
3) Allow it to settle for 24 hrs
4) But I got a resultant product where all solution turned like a soap bar.
What have I made wrong in this?
2014-03-03 18.05.15

@#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    That is how soaps are made!
    My feeling is that too much Sodium Hydroxide was used. This converts all the fat to the sodium salt, which is soap.

Study this;
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Dude you needn't take the trouble to do the esterification process yourself.

I did a similar project during my final semester, with the exception that we used pongamia biodiesel.

we did not do the esterification process ourselves, but we purchased the biodiesel directly from the factory, where it was being esterified, and then continued the rest of the project ourselves.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    But where can we buy biodiesel?
    I had submitted topic as biodiesel from neem oil.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I purchased our biodiesel from bannari amman near sathyamangalam. this source we found after a tiring search on google.com

you better do the same and find out where they are making the neem biodiesel.
    zaveri
    I purchased our biodiesel from bannari amman near sathyamangalam. this source we found after a tiring search on google.com

Thanks for info.Do you mean Bannari amman institute college or any other firm?
    zaveri

Do you mean " M/s. Bannariamman Sugars "
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Do you mean " M/s. Bannariamman Sugars "

Yes that is exactly the one !
    zaveri
    Yes that is exactly the one !
    Thanks a lot bro for the help.Will updatw after the progresd of my project.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As we already knew from the leaks regarding Apple’s iOS in the car system, today Apple officially announced “CarPlay” at Geneva International Motor Show. CarPlay will integrate your iPhone with...
Microsoft’s Windows phone 8.1 update is becoming the most awaited update for windows phone users and developers. Some features of Windows Phone 8.1 were revealed when WP8.1 emulator was demoed....
Gigasites, the two live network test sites developed by Optus to test its entire spectrum assets, have had many a firsts to their names: They've registered the highest total throughput...
Dear friends, I am looking for an ebook naming - Properties of Concrete- written by A M Neville. Regards Kyaw
Microsoft’s beloved Xbox live social gaming service is now all set to power Apple and Android devices. This would undoubtedly put Microsoft in direct competition with Apple’s game center and...