Problem in burning ATMEGA16

I was firstly using avrdude but it is not responding dont know why?.
while using extreme burner its showing error "power on failed & cannot connect to the target chip".
I am using ATMEGA16 development board which is usb powered.
so what is the problem please tell me

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Is your Atmega16 brand new? Are you using external crystal?
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    its new trying to burn 1st tym & it is mounted on trainer kit so crystal oscillator is also inbuilt
    & when i connect it to my PC , my PC show that beep of an external device connected,that means I have installed USBASP drivers correctly but still cant
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    soni.sapan
    its new trying to burn 1st tym & it is mounted on trainer kit so crystal oscillator is also inbuilt
    & when i connect it to my PC , my PC show that beep of an external device connected,that means I have installed USBASP drivers correctly but still cant
    Fuse bits! The Atmega's are configured to use internal 1 MHZ internal oscillator by default hence you need to first configure it to use the external crystal.

Set LOW FUSE = 0xFF and HIGH fuse = 0xC9 to configure it with external crystal.

However, of course you would first require that the burning software detect your controller. Check to see if your board have any setting to enable SCK setting. That would enable you to work on slow clock. USBASP supports that, but your board is required to have the jumper.
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    set fusebits but it show following in
    1.auto detecting programmer
    2.found USBasp on usb port
    3.powering on
    4.power on failed
    5.can not communicating with target chip
    6.retrying again
    & so on repeted 4,5,6
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    hi,
    here is to be considered checking, first of all connect your development board to AVRdude then go for checking ports where USBasp is heighlighted or not in communication port,if it not install sinaprog software with drivers of that module then connect once again,then ull get the connection then go for recognising the device while connecting to your AVRdude k. if its also not solved place the screen shots such that ill go for clear your bug,.
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    arunchary
    hi,
    here is to be considered checking, first of all connect your development board to AVRdude then go for checking ports where USBasp is heighlighted or not in communication port,if it not install sinaprog software with drivers of that module then connect once again,then ull get the connection then go for recognising the device while connecting to your AVRdude k. if its also not solved place the screen shots such that ill go for clear your bug,.
    USBASP can be seen in in device manager while I connect it.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    ok what type of software your using to dump the code into controller through avr dude..
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    I tried with avrdude, extreme burner,avr burno mat,khazama avr programmer,
    In extreme burner I can see the error as mentioned above & in khazama programmer I got error like setting isp clock failed 😭
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    it is the schematic of avr board am using......
    check it out
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    i got your bug go with sinaprog software to dump the programmer with the related usb support software then dump the programmer in to the controller ok.
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    arunchary
    i got your bug go with sinaprog software to dump the programmer with the related usb support software then dump the programmer in to the controller ok.
    please explain it more
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    hi CEans,download the software sinaprog and connect your development board to pc then go for search the controller to identify, then select the hex file to burn,in mean while select the memory to burn and select the fuse bits to external crystal osc. as shown below.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    above window shows the software to configure and burn the AVR family Controlleres.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    soni.sapan
    3.powering on
    4.power on failed
    6.retrying again
    & so on repeted 4,5,6
    How did you set the fuse bits then? To set the fuse bits, the software must first detect the controller?

Can you read the current fuse bits and screenshot it? I am pretty sure that you didn't set the fuse bits.
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    [Prototype]
    How did you set the fuse bits then? To set the fuse bits, the software must first detect the controller?

Can you read the current fuse bits and screenshot it? I am pretty sure that you didn't set the fuse bits.
    I think I got the problem,
    when I was trying with USB avr programmer(hardware) only without connecting atmega 16 I got the same error as mentioned above that means my software is not reading atmega 16.
    & about fuse bits
    In extreme burner there is an opt to set it but ofcourse I am not able to read fuse bits.
    Now I think problem is to detect Atmega 16 & I think I have installed drivers properly
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    soni.sapan
    I think I got the problem,
    when I was trying with USB avr programmer(hardware) only without connecting atmega 16 I got the same error as mentioned above that means my software is not reading atmega 16.
    & about fuse bits
    In extreme burner there is an opt to set it but ofcourse I am not able to read fuse bits.
    Now I think problem is to detect Atmega 16 & I think I have installed drivers properly
    Yeah? That's the problem. That's why I asked you to see if your board got any arrangement to set itself to SS mode. This will allow the programmer to run on Slow clock and will enable the AVR software to access the chip.

Another solution is to check if your college got a Universal programmer. Use this programmer to set the fuse bits and then later use it with your board. This is what I used to do.
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    [Prototype]
    Yeah? That's the problem. That's why I asked you to see if your board got any arrangement to set itself to SS mode. This will allow the programmer to run on Slow clock and will enable the AVR software to access the chip.

Another solution is to check if your college got a Universal programmer. Use this programmer to set the fuse bits and then later use it with your board. This is what I used to do.
    Am at home at this moment any other solution? I think board dont have that arrengement, check above post I have posted the schematic of the board
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    soni.sapan
    Am at home at this moment any other solution? I think board dont have that arrengement, check above post I have posted the schematic of the board
    A little correction. I meant the programmer not the board. USBASP has been modified to work on SCK, but it may be possible that the manufacturer of your board might have hardwired that setting instead of providing a jumper.
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    cant understand you 😔. 😐........................................
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    soni.sapan
    cant understand you 😔. 😐........................................
    [​IMG]

Notice that Slow SCK jumper? Track down that same thing keeping this circuit diagram as the reference. If you find any provision for jumper at that place, then put the jumper and try reading the atmega again, else, your programmer manufacturer skipped that part and you don't have any other way than to find a appropriate programmer and set up the fuse bits.

I remember one other way. Try to build a Serial programmer. Its pretty easy to build one and requires negligible components. No microcontroller is needed as well. This programmer, with Pony Prog can get your work done.
  • dossdss
    dossdss
    [Prototype]
    [​IMG]

hello,
    I am also working on ATmega16...i use unipro for its programming. but i have seen many local vendors selling the USB programming hardware for mega16 at around 4 to 500/- it uses atmega8.
    if i am going to make the same kind of programmer by my own, can you please tell me its software part, that what kind of code that programmer has ?
    i have its circuit schematic but dont have any idea about the program.

thanks.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    #-Link-Snipped-#, you can get everything here -> USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers - fischl.de

The vendors sells the same thing.
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    [Prototype]
    [​IMG]

Notice that Slow SCK jumper? Track down that same thing keeping this circuit diagram as the reference. If you find any provision for jumper at that place, then put the jumper and try reading the atmega again, else, your programmer manufacturer skipped that part and you don't have any other way than to find a appropriate programmer and set up the fuse bits.

I remember one other way. Try to build a Serial programmer. Its pretty easy to build one and requires negligible components. No microcontroller is needed as well. This programmer, with Pony Prog can get your work done.
    ll reply when I am done
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    I am done with this problem, now my controller is working..
    but now problem is that I am trying to burn another program in it, it showing error "mismatch at location 0x00000000" so what is the problem?
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    check out the fuse bits in the software...
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    arunchary
    check out the fuse bits in the software...
    thanks dude it is done, can I be able to know which program is currently working on chip?
    & why reset button is used?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    soni.sapan
    thanks dude it is done, can I be able to know which program is currently working on chip?
    & why reset button is used?
    You can read the hex of the program if thats what you mean. And reset button will restart the execution from fresh just as it would, after the power on.
  • shobhit12
    shobhit12
    Somebody please help me. I have done everything that was said here. Except the SCK thing. I have no option to set the SCK or the jumper. Please help.
    I have everything working perfectly using a ponyser but its royally screwed up with the usbasp
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    shobhit12
    Somebody please help me. I have done everything that was said here. Except the SCK thing. I have no option to set the SCK or the jumper. Please help.
    I have everything working perfectly using a ponyser but its royally screwed up with the usbasp
    Will you please share detail that how you are trying to burn it. Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# he may help you.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    shobhit12
    There's no other way except setting the controller to work on Slow Clock (SCK). Its the only way you can read a brand new Atmega. You can try building a programming that works on Serial Interface. Its fairly simple to make one.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    shobhit12
    Tagging one more CEan #-Link-Snipped-# he may help you.
  • Big_B
    Big_B
    Hi soni.sapan,

Try this solutions...

1.Is the USBASP driver is installed correctly?
    -If it is showing [!] symbol in device manager. >> Remove old driver and install [Dropbox - Error] new driver.

2.Try New AVRdude 2.1. [Dropbox - Error]

3. Triple check you connection with Programmer's programming pins to ATmega16 pins [SCK,MISO,MOSI,RESET etc..].

4.Try connecting disconnecting USB. sometime due to loose connection it happens.

5.If RESET switch is connected,Disconnect it.[sometimes it creates problem in AVR while burning.]

Hopefully this may solve your problem.. 👍
    -Big_B
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Big_B
    Hi soni.sapan,

Try this solutions...

1.Is the USBASP driver is installed correctly?
    -If it is showing [!] symbol in device manager. >> Remove old driver and install [Dropbox - Error] new driver.

2.Try New AVRdude 2.1. [Dropbox - Error]

3. Triple check you connection with Programmer's programming pins to ATmega16 pins [SCK,MISO,MOSI,RESET etc..].

4.Try connecting disconnecting USB. sometime due to loose connection it happens.

5.If RESET switch is connected,Disconnect it.[sometimes it creates problem in AVR while burning.]

Hopefully this may solve your problem.. 👍
    -Big_B
    #-Link-Snipped-# Please have a look at above reply and give it a try.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    please check out the connection which are interfaced between USBASP and jtag. following images shows the normal ISP and AVRJTAG compare it once and check it.
    Dropbox - avr jtag1.jpg - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - avr jtag.jpg - Simplify your life
  • SAYYED NAVEED
    SAYYED NAVEED
    guys i m getting an error
    but now problem is that I am trying to burn another program in it, it showing error "mismatch at location 0x00000000" so what is the problem?
    plzz help
    i m nt getting the fuse bits logic
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    SAYYED NAVEED
    guys i m getting an error
    plzz help
    i m nt getting the fuse bits logic
    You've probably selected the device in the software which doesn't match with your physical chip. For example, you've selected Atemga 16 in the software while your actual chip is Atemga 8.
  • karthick417
    karthick417
    3.powering on
    4.power on failed
    6.retrying again
    & so on repeted 4,5,6
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    karthick417
    3.powering on
    4.power on failed
    6.retrying again
    & so on repeted 4,5,6
    You're already done setting the fuse bits? If you did as mentioned earlier, then you'll need a crystal oscillator connected. It will not work on SCK after fuse bit setting is complete.
  • Wagner Lipnharski
    Wagner Lipnharski
    Just a question:
    What version of Windows are you using?
    Windows 7 and 8 does not allow USBASP drivers to recognize the programmer in the USB port, since the drivers have not the Microsoft Digital Signature. You need to reboot the PC with this option disabled, so it will work until the next reboot.
  • Wagner Lipnharski
    Wagner Lipnharski
    If this is the problem, download and install the signed USBASP driver from this link:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Wagner Lipnharski
    Wagner Lipnharski
    Wagner Lipnharski
    If this is the problem, download and install the signed USBASP driver from this link:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    It is a shame we can not edit the post... I have no idea where the title of the link came from... just follow the link

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Wagner Lipnharski
    Wagner Lipnharski
    wrong link, no idea where it comes from...
    this is the right link:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • abhishek2342
    abhishek2342
    hi guys.i have usbasp programmer and i am trying to burn a new atmega32a chip.but getting an error power on failed.i have put a jumper to select slow clock option in usbasp.and a external oscillator is connected to atmega 32.
  • abhishek2342
    abhishek2342
    hi guys.i have usbasp programmer and i am trying to burn a new atmega32a chip.but getting an error power on failed.i have put a jumper to select slow clock option in usbasp.and a external oscillator is connected to atmega 32.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

suppose water is to be taken from point A TO point B the level difference from point A to point B is 10.00 mtrs and residual head is also 10.00...
It's strange, isn't it? All these modern tools of communication have actually made us more anti-social than ever!
plzz..i am student at hbti kanpur.btech.1st yr..... i want too knw how cn i gather sponsoship for my college techfest.............d one adavtage dat i have is i belong to kanpur😨...
a relation is given in book that the total energy of continous time signal x(t) over time interval t1<=t<=t2 is integral frm t1 to t2 |x(t)|^2 dt how do they...
One of the reasons I could not make Linux as my primary choice of operating system is the unavailability of the best productivity software in the market - Microsoft Office....