Privacy In The Internet Is Gone : Agree Or Disagree ?

After reading news of leaked pics of some reputed female actress of Hollywood which were hacked from Apple iCloud makes me wonder, how much these companies concern about our private data ? Seriously speaking, we are in the beginning of era of destruction, not information era. All of our data is being send to the device manufacturer servers without our concern. Privacy & Freedom of our own personal data is gone.

Should we blame the companies like MS, Apple, Google,etc. ? Or should we blame ourselves for letting them do that ? How secure is cloud ? Share your opinions.

Replies

• avii
    avii
    When you don't have control over the data, then its never secure.

and yeah, please to read EULA.
  • Dennis Ighowho
    Dennis Ighowho
    i blame both the companies and the government because some time back i came across a device launch on cnn though its not for public use. this device could get the private chat, sms, multimedia message and other private stuffs, the government allow people to sell and use these devices so tell me how one can an individual be guaranteed of his/her privacy on the internet when we have such devices?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is privacy overrated? Here is an interesting talk on Fora:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    1. If you thing a company will put your data private to them only and not share with government. Forget about it. They are bound to share.

2. In this case Apple is giving really pathetic excuse that account was breached through security question and brute force. It's like giving a weak lock and it your responsibility. (I think Google is better here with two step authentication.)

3. If you don't know your cloud service, you should not put your private data in cloud.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    While everyone is blaming the company or the celebrities for the leaked photos scandal, we have blame the attacker too. There are many white hat attackers who discover faults and report them to the companies without compromising user information. The person who discovered the iBrute hack reported it to Apple to get it fixed. The attacker however took a very despicable route. The celebrities could have been smart enough to use the two-step verification process which is available for iCloud. More importantly though private information should never ever be uploaded to cloud or to any other internet based service.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    it is a cumulative effect.
    this The Police Tool That Pervs Use to Steal Nude Pics From Apple's iCloud | WIRED on wired and #-Link-Snipped-# on TNW throws light on everything that went wrong, right from secrity flaw in icloud which was exploited using iBrute, once user credentials are accessed, the hackers used a forensic tool ( the one used by police to sniff) to acess phones.
    The point is - brute forces takes time to break passwords , but incase you have 'password'/'12345' as your password, it only says -" here take my pictures".
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Privacy on internet, You kidding me !!
    There is absolutely no privacy for anything you are doing on internet; absolutely everything you are doing on internet is under the vigilance of someone. be it government or someone else.

Take an example, search something on internet for some time, and facebook / Google will get a hang of it, and will start showing you relevant ad. What is this? Isn't it spying on someone, no matter what is the way of doing it?

All the data saved on iCloud's are always under government scrutinizing. No Escape !!

Without your knowing the software companies are keeping an eye on your system for your system installable (MS, AV companies)

In short every traveling data packet on internet is vulnerable and under the eye of a hacker, so PRIVACY and INTERNET can not go hand-in-hand.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    avii
    and yeah, please to read EULA.
    THere is no EULA in my system (FOSS FTW!)
    Anoop Kumar
    3. If you don't know your cloud service, you should not put your private data in cloud.
    Exactly. I wonder how can users upload their personal pictures in cloud ? Isn't there any option in Apple devices like Android to turn off "Auto back up" ?

Satya Swaroop Dash
    While everyone is blaming the company or the celebrities for the leaked photos scandal, we have blame the attacker too.
    I feel sad for those celebrities, but I am somehow happy of all this entire scandal. I don't know why, but I feel after this people will become much more conscious about what should be uploaded in internet & what not. One more reason to say that, if you're not in control of software and/or hardware, you're fucked; so prefer opensource & openhardware!

Rajni Jain
    Privacy on internet, You kidding me !!
    There is absolutely no privacy for anything you are doing on internet; absolutely everything you are doing on internet is under the vigilance of someone. be it government or someone else.
    Correct. I even wonder, if I setup my personal cloud in Pi using #-Link-Snipped-# & upload my personal data to my storage, my data is masked from getting tracked ? Because, in the end I still have to use internet service to upload, which is 24x7 tracked by government.

Rajni Jain
    Take an example, search something on internet for some time, and facebook / Google will get a hang of it, and will start showing you relevant ad. What is this? Isn't it spying on someone, no matter what is the way of doing it?
    No one really forces you to use Google search engine. After Edward Snowden's response on surveillance & privacy, plenty of users have migrated to Duckduckgo which don't include ads plus it shares anonymously. Google is big evil which tracks user's search & displaying ads as per search. Google Public DNS is playing a major part too in helping Google ads.
  • avii
    avii
    Abhishek Rawal
    THere is no EULA in my system (FOSS FTW!)
    yeah, so what?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    avii
    yeah, so what?
    So I can't read EULA.
    Am I writing in Parseltongue ?
  • avii
    avii
    sigh.

Any FOSS based iCloud/Google Drive/Dropbox alternative, for noobs?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    avii
    sigh
    Any FOSS based iCloud/Google Drive/Dropbox alternative, for noobs?
    RPi + arkOS + owncloud = Your_freaking_Personal_Cloud.
  • avii
    avii
    thats for noobs? 😐
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    In Android you can turn off auto backup, moreover while set up Google+ ask you whether you want auto backup or not.
    For Google account, I know few instances, including mine, that if any one will try to access user account Google alerts the user after few attempts.

I never used apple services so I can't comment that how strong is their security system. But still, I blame of Apple here. All service providers mark verified profile of celebrities and popular people. If hacker is using the brute force, did he manage to break account in 1-2 attempt. I don't think so.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    anoop,
    brute force tries passwords till it can break through. that would be choosing 8 or more characters from (26+10) characters and that quickly escalates. from what I understand on how ibrute works , there seems to be set of common passwords and first these passwords are tried and then the algorithm proceeds to check by choosing characters.I might be wrong.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Rajni Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-# I was peeking into my Google account & found that Google is now concerned about user's privacy. Your searches in google can be stopped by tracking.
    It's under : Google account -> Account History -> Click 'Pause' on the service that you wanna stop.

snapshot11
    Might be helpful, if you're concerned about privacy.
    Cheers.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    there are two way of tracking by Facebook and Google.
    1. Account history tracking - In Google you can turn it off. My experience, it will stop showing search and ads related to your history.
    In Facebook there is no option.
    2.Cookie based: You can't turn it off and Facebook is more rough about it stealing other cookie too. Even Google will show you cookie based tracking. Only option is incognito/private mode browsing.

#-Link-Snipped-#: even it was brute force it will ultimately attempt to of login by hit and trial based. So, any system can recognize that it after 2-3 attempt of login. correct me if I am wrong here!
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    1. Account history tracking - In Google you can turn it off. My experience, it will stop showing search and ads related to your history.
    In Facebook there is no option.
    2.Cookie based: You can't turn it off and Facebook is more rough about it stealing other cookie too. Even Google will show you cookie based tracking. Only option is incognito/private mode browsing.
    Whenever you're logged into your Google account on chrome, you're also logged into chrome and you try Google search for something, these searches would be saved forever with your account data. Can't we avoid this just by logging out?Then the searches would be saved corresponding to our IP address/cookies
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I suppose its a matter of educating the users about data protection. If you are really concerned on the security of your content on the cloud, you'd have to invest some time learning things like strong passwords, multi step authentication, SSL & encryption.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just curious, who are all CEans are actively into blogging. Whats your blog about? How often do you write? being an engineering student and maintaining a blog is quite...
Samsung kick started the proceedings at the Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin (IFA) by announcing the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge. Both of these handsets are premium handsets that...
Just after announcing the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge, Samsung took the covers off its very first virtual reality headset that it developed using the technical expertise of...
At the IFA 2014 event, Sony Mobile Communications has launched two new Android 4.4 KitKat OS running smartphones called the Sony Xperia Z3 and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. The flagship...
Minutes after unveiling the Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z3 Compact smartphones, Sony quickly launched two new wearables, the SmartWatch 3 and SmartBand Talk. These two wearables are meant to work...