Prithvi-II, India's Nuclear Capable Missile Can Strike At 350 Km

The Strategic Force Command (SFC) has conducted the trial of Prithvi-II, India's nuclear capable missile. The missile was fired using a mobile launcher from the complex-3 area of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha. The data collected from the test has confirmed the success of the trial. Prithvi-II missile has been indigenously developed and is capable of carrying nuclear warhead, with a strike range of about 350 km.

Prithvi-II uses single stage, liquid fuel dual motor engine that allows a payload of about 500 Kg. The missile is equipped with an on-board guidance system that ensures proper trajectory so that the strike is accurate. The missile is just about 9m tall and weighs about 4.6 tonnes and is likely to be used by Indian Air Force.

ET reports that for the test, the missile was picked up randomly from a ready production stock. The test was carried out under guidance of team from India's Defence Research and Development Organisation aka DRDO.

Prithvi-Missile
Image Credit: Reuters​

The impact of the missile was closely monitored by the downrange teams on a ship deployed near the target area. The missile trajectory was mapped by special DRDO radars and specially designed electro-optical tracking systems. The telemetry systems strategically located along the coast picked up the signals from the missile.

The success of the test confirmed India's readiness to tackle any eventuality and reliability of its missile stock. Prithvi-II was earlier tested back in February this year at the same location in Odisha.

The Prithvi range of missiles, which includes Prithvi-I, II, II and Dhanush is a part of India's ambitious Integrated Guided Missile Development Program; which was launched in 1983.

Source: India successfully test-fires nuclear capable Prithvi II missile - The Economic Times

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone I had done polytechnical diploma in Computer engg. with 72% & Graduation.Now doing job as Seo executive in a travel company & pursuing MCA.. I am always interested...
Attention DIY enthusiasts, the makers of your favourite microcomputer have launched a new one that costs just a fraction of the original Raspberry Pi. Meet the Raspberry Pi Zero that...
i am seriously cofused what to do after B.E .i am a electronics engg..but though there is no scope in india of electronics.so i have switch to IT field.but i...
Wishing CEan- @Ankita Katdare a happy and prosperous birthday. May this day be the beginning of ever growing happiness and success in your life.
Hello im a studnet from CSI (center for science and Industry) and i currently have todo a exstesive research report on mechanical engineers that have a degree in mechanical engineering....