Presence of Methane Strengthens Evidence About Possibility of Life on Mars

‘Life on Mars’ is always a topic of interest for scientists and space explorers across the world. This ardent curiosity has lead these people to come up with some really promising conclusions. Earlier this month, Meteorite Hints At Life on Mars - EPFL Researchers Present Possibility while studying a tissint meteorite from Mars. Now Methane has been discovered in Mars atmosphere which has induced a new thrill in the science circles, because it is believed that existence of Methane is an indication for existence of life.

The discovery of Methane was made by the NASA’s Curiosity Rover last week. The rover also discovered some key features of Mars atmosphere such as - the temperature is cold, dry and there is very low atmospheric pressure. But these are above ground conditions and if we look at the below-ground conditions, situation can be different. It's interesting to note that researchers now claim that some below ground organisms on Earth can survive in the Martian atmosphere.

CE001

A biologist from University of Arkansas - Timothy Kral studied various bacterias in the conditions similar to mars.The experiment was conducted for 120 days in extremely cold, dry and low pressure. The bacteria that survived is a single cell organism which excretes methane are known as Methanogens. Kral said that the Methanogens can survive in Mars atmosphere. He also added that, Methanogens don't need oxygen as it kills them, which is why they went underground and earths oxygen level become richer.

Methanogens do not need any sunlight or other living organisms to survive. All they need is carbon dioxide, hydrogen and water. The Mars atmosphere already has carbon dioxide and hydrogen and the evidence about the presence of water in the past has been already found by researchers. All these evidences lead the scientists to believe that life could exist or could have existed in the past on Mars. What do you think about that? Share your views through comments and stayed tuned to CrazyEngineers for further updates.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

While going on adventurous outdoor sport activities, we cannot rule out the possibility of some mishap. Immediate help is of prime importance at such instances. However, in case the victim...
CDAC has announced the results of the exam C-CAT conducted on 7th and 14th December. The authorities had confirmed that the results of the exam will be announced on 24th...
Everyone has love and hate relationship with Whatsapp, so do I. I love how WhatsApp helps connect to your relatives and totally hate how it fucks up your brain too...
Hello guys... I was eagerly looking for forum like this, finally I got this. I am very happy and I hope I'll utilize the forum in right way.