preload torque

I've been working on designing a scissors lift jack, but stucking when it leads to the calculation of torque as I have no idea what preload torque is and how it is calculated. I'm kinda frustrated now as the assignment has to be submitted within 2 weeks though I have tried hard to look for information of preload torque on web.๐Ÿ˜” Does anyone have any idea on it?
Any help is kindly appreciated ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• suhasvd
    suhasvd
    Hi Xun,

If I have understood correctly you are trying to calculate the preload for the fastener which are used for the mechanical joints (mainly flange joints)

Follow the following steps
    1) Calculate the load coming on the each fastener (consider max f0r calculation)
    2) Select the material (based on the yield strength) and the diameter of fastener ( these are initial assumption)
    3) Find out the maximum force based on the cross section and Yield strength.
    4) Consider 20-30 % load will be taken by the preload ( based on the experience)
    5) Approximately 40% load coming from the mechanical loading will be absorbed in fasteners after pretension.(exp)
    6) Hence summation of (4) & (5) should be less than the allowable yield stress.
    7) Once the cross section area and the material is finalized based on the (6), calculate the force I,e preload.
    8) Calculated the Torque = 0.2 * Initial preload * shank diameter.

Suhas
  • suhasvd
    suhasvd
    Hi Xun,

If I have understood correctly you are trying to calculate the preload for the fastener which are used for the mechanical joints (mainly flange joints)

Follow the following steps
    1) Calculate the load coming on the each fastener (consider max f0r calculation)
    2) Select the material (based on the yield strength) and the diameter of fastener ( these are initial assumption)
    3) Find out the maximum force based on the cross section and Yield strength.
    4) Consider 20-30 % load will be taken by the preload ( based on the experience)
    5) Approximately 40% load coming from the mechanical loading will be absorbed in fasteners after pretension.(exp)
    6) Hence summation of (4) & (5) should be less than the allowable yield stress.
    7) Once the cross section area and the material is finalized based on the (6), calculate the force I,e preload.
    8) Calculated the Torque = 0.2 * Initial preload * shank diameter.

Suhas
  • xun
    xun
    thank you suhas, it does help me and i really appreciate your help ๐Ÿ˜€
    i feel myself like a small calf, trying to learn more in this forum ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans , I need a domain name for my online bookstore that can sell all types of books on all subjects , i do have around 10lakh books to...
I' m supposed to do SEMINAR on this topic" photo transistor" , but i dont get any ideas on this topic, if i m searching in this topics, its saying...
hello everyone, im in 2nd yr ,branch IT.i have been asked to present the ppt on miniproject.its an inter college presentation.im scared coz its gonna b very high level. so...
I need JSP code for online hotel management system for connecting it with mysql database urgently... can somebody provide that?? ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•
Dear frends, Hi this is arun doing my 2 nd year mechanical engineering . in my college we are doing a exhibition , i am so eager to place my...