21 Best Pre-Placement Questions in 2023

21 Best Pre-Placement Questions in 2023

Following are the best questions to ask whenever a company visits your campus for recruitment. By asking these questions, you can get a clear picture of what to expect from the company, your role and your salary package.

I have added a context to each question. Feel free to modify the questions as per your needs.

1. Can you describe the company culture? This helps to know whether you will fit into the company's working environment.

2. What does a typical day look like in this role? To get a better understanding of the daily responsibilities.

3. What are the primary responsibilities and expectations for this position?

4. How does the company support the professional development of its employees?

5. Could you tell me more about the team I'll be working with?

6. What skills and experiences would make an ideal candidate? This can provide you with insight into what the company values most.

7. What are some of the biggest challenges that someone in this position would face?

8. What are the performance expectations for this position over the first 12 months?

9. What is the typical career path for someone in this role?

10. How do you measure success and over what time frame? How are these measurements communicated to the employees?

11. How does the company promote diversity and inclusion within the workplace?

12. What are some of the most important qualities for someone to excel in this role?

13. Can you discuss your take on the company’s corporate social responsibility?

14. How does the company handle feedback and suggestions from employees?

15. What are some opportunities for professional growth in this role?

16. Can you tell me about the company's policy on work-life balance?

17. How has the company adapted to the changes brought by the COVID-19 pandemic?

18. What is the company's approach to innovation and staying relevant in the market?

19. What do you enjoy most about working here?

20. What are the next steps in the hiring process?

21. Is there anything else I should know about the company or the role?

Asking these questions will help you demonstrate your interest in the role and align your career goals.

A lot of students do not ask any questions and repaint later on after accepting the job offer. It’s always better to get your doubts about the company and the role clarified so that you are mentally prepared to handle the challenges that will come your way.

If you have questions, let me know. I’ll be happy to assist you.

Replies

• Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I dont think this is an apt question to be asking others. You should know what you are looking at. You must be aware of what kind of work you want to do and if you have a clear mindset about that then you will be able to get numerous questions and doubts popping up in your mind. All the best
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good that you asked this question. We had a discussion about this in the past: -

Questions you should ask to campus recruitment teams:
    Questions you should ask to campus recruitment teams!

and a similar one:
    Questions you should ask to interviewers! [Tips for Fresh Graduates]
    Questions you should ask to interviewers! [Tips for Fresh Graduates]

Most of the companies would speak about - their turnover, their campuses, social activities before coming to the most 'important' slide; the 'package'. The candidates think that they are the 'beggars' and therefore they don't have a choice. Also, asking questions is treated as a 'way of showing lack of knowledge'. I think that needs to be changed.

The general rule of thumb should be to know what 'you will get' and what 'they expect'. Your questions can be based around those topics. For example, you may ask questions like -
    1. Could you tell us about the kind of projects your company works on? If it's a products company, then you may ask for what kind of work do engineers do on these products.
    2. Ask about the appraisal system - which is a review mechanism that evaluates candidates based on their performance. Ask how engineers' work is reviewed in the organisation.
    3. Ask about the various types of training that company provides to its employees.
    4. Ask about team's own experience of working in the companies. The things they loved the most and things they thought could be done better.
    5. Ask about their expectations from new recruits?
    ...and so on. It helps a LOT if you could read the employer's website thoroughly and list out questions. I did that when I was looking for a job. It helped me to be genuinely interested in the company I was applying to.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here are my further two cents -

Most students in my batch felt that - you don't need to ask a question if you don't have one. Asking questions does not improve your chances of getting the job.
    However, I know one guy who would shamelessly raise a hand every time a speaker in the room asked, "Any questions?" In fact, he was famous for it.
    Now what really made him stand out was not the fact that he asked the questions, but that he would always come up with a very-relevant-to-the-topic/situation question.
    I assume he would be taking notes when the speaker was delivering a talk.

Questions written above by #-Link-Snipped-# are a great starting point for your line of thoughts. Don't ask questions because you have to. Have genuine curiosity about what the pre-placement management authorities have to say. (At times, I've seen that these people (who are mostly from the HR department) purposely leave out some topics midway and leave scope for students to ask questions. This is also done so that they can have the audience's full attention. Purposefully or not, you do need to keep an eye for loose ends and figure out if that information can be crucial for you in the recruitment process or the initial days in the company.

I hate to see that whenever there's a company arriving in campus for placements, there are a lot of rumours among students about what the recruitment process is going to be like, what the company's work culture is, what kind of career growth employees have and the like. It's best to not depend on rumours and hearsay. Ask what you want to know. Genuine curiosity will always be appreciated.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The most famous RTS game The Settlers is open for free , no download just browser based game. It's been developed & maintained by Bluebyte. Still in beta test mode....
hello friends can u tell me how to download any video or lecture from torrent kindly tell me the whole procedure
Reliance Freedom 999 plan looks too good to be true. Reliance is offering 12 Mbps speed for up to 25 Gb of data and and post the data limit, the...
so many controllers output is of 4 to 20 ma whearas some of them has 0 to 20 ma output why
The Independence Day of India, celebrated on 15 August, is a holiday commemorating India's independence from the British rule and its birth as a sovereign nation on 15 August 1947....