Poor Academic Record - Will I Get A Good Job?

hello everyone i am new here
i have some queries regarding my career
i am 23 years old guy
i have completed my diploma in 4 year instead of regular 3 years then again i have failed in my third yr of engineering and now somehow i managed to get 59% in 7th semester but due to some problem i couldn't give my last semester exam
my aggregate is also low 53. something maybe get 54.something after clearing my last semester exam.so far i should have completed my education but this doesnt happened.
am i eligible for study abroad?
i have decided to enroll myself in testing course
which is good for me testing or .net development i heard that java development requires strong academics record is it true?
will i get a good job with this horrible record ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    First of all, welcome to CrazyEngineers, #-Link-Snipped-# . We hope you will enjoy here.

From the information you've provided, it's apparent that you need to focus on ensuring that you need to focus on graduation first. Let's answer your questions one by one.

1. Am I eligible to study abroad?

I think you should be fine in most of the Universities, because I'm not aware of any University that makes it mandatory to have certain grade/percentage in engineering. They'll care a lot about your GRE score and overall profile; so if you manage to get a great score in GRE- you should be able to get into MS course. If that doesn't work out; you should get some experience and then apply for MS or other PG courses (viz. MBA) from a foreign University.

2. Which is good for me testing or .net development?

No one can tell, except you. Find out which of the two looks more interesting to you and make a career in that field. If you're taking a course in testing, the complete it with a focus on acquiring mastery in testing and figure out whether testing looks like an interesting field to you.

3. Will I get a good job with this horrible (educational) record?

Depends on what you call a 'good job'. Think of the reasons any employer would want to hire you. Your first focus should be on getting a job - no matter how good (or bad) it is. Academic performance only makes the entry in the industry easier; but once you are an 'insider', it's all about your performance, relationships and skills. No one then cares about your academic score and performance. Give yourself some time and keep yourself updated with knowledge.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I am in Final year, Have/Had backlogs. Still not good aggregate and I own my own IT company. From what I learnt in Engineering and IT industry so far is, Degree is a luxury. Skills are the need. If you have skills, you will get a job. If you have 90% aggregate but are retarded in applications of your knowledge, you'll get fired within first three months.
    PS: Welcome to Crazy Engineers
  • siddhesh nisal
    siddhesh nisal
    thank you for your guidance sir,
    but i really worried about my gap (3 years almost) in education. would it become a barrier in my entry level job? i am really going to study hard onwards. i enrolled myself in testing course. does certification in testing grabs recruiters attention over me than that of my poor academics? does small or mid level companies give me job on ISTQB certification and does small companies require tester?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - There are companies that want 'no backs' at the time of recruitment. So you won't be eligible to enter into those companies. The recruiter would be impressed if you actually know your stuff that you claim to have learned during certification.

Almost every company that operates in software development will invariably need software testing engineers. There are ample job opportunities, you'll have to keep looking for them.
  • siddhesh nisal
    siddhesh nisal
    my final semester exam will be in november and result will be in february. my course duration is around 4 months.so my course will be completed in november or december but my result will be in february it means i will be eligible in february? i heard that some companies allow result awaiting student is this true?
  • siddhesh nisal
    siddhesh nisal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    ya nayan its true. but my concern is i have started my diploma in 2006 and completed in 2010 then in 2010 i have started my engineering and it will be completed in nov 2014. and result will be in february 2015. so almost after 9 years my diploma+degree should get completed instead of regular 6 years of this combined education. and its also true that i have to work hard. does this 3 years gap going to create a hugh problem in my career? that's what only i want to ask.
    your story is really impressive and inspirational for me Nayan Goenka. it will prove useful and motivational many other people like mine too.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Thanks for the honor. 😀 From what I know, what will give you a job is your skill level and your attitude when you face your recruiters.

Age is not a barrier, attitude it. Your academics is poor but that doesn't mean you will get discouraged and feel over-concerned. For now peacefully try to finish your degree/course. Get a good skill level and start scouting for entry level jobs. Your college should help you in campus recruitment.

Even if they don't, software testers are recruited in a lot of companies. Getting a job MIGHT be 10% tougher for you, but you will get one. Don't worry.

Whatever your reasons were, you had to drop out from your studies for a brief duration. It might not be your fault (unless you were banned for some crime or something like that). But your confidence level should never go down. The moment it breaks, SNAP! You will be out. No matter if you have 90% or 50%, You will be out if your attitude is not right or your confidence level is low/zero.

You are on right track, keep going. Don't worry too much about the outcome. If you need any help, or guidance, You can always create threads here.
  • siddhesh nisal
    siddhesh nisal
    hey glad to inform you that i have passed in the final semester exam😀 but dont get a first class😔 i got a higher second class in my last year😔
    and already started software testing course
    can someone just tell me about ISTQB certification. and e litmus exam?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    siddheshnisal
    can someone just tell me about ISTQB certification. and e litmus exam?
    Try searching on Google and if you don't get the answers you are looking for, ask them here 😀 Unfortunately typing out everything is not an easy task, without knowing what's the exact question we are answering.
  • Sandeep A R
    Sandeep A R
    Hi sir ,
    I am Sandeep A R. I studied engineering in
    1. Visvesvaraya Technological University
    2. in electronic and communication engineering branch
    3. I am having 59% aggregate in be
    4. sir can i get the job. i am having quiet good communication ie .., manageable
    5. current i am doing dot net course
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sandeep A R
    Hi sir ,
    I am Sandeep A R. I studied engineering in
    1. Visvesvaraya Technological University
    2. in electronic and communication engineering branch
    3. I am having 59% aggregate in be
    4. sir can i get the job. i am having quiet good communication ie .., manageable
    5. current i am doing dot net course
    I'm not sure which job you are talking about.
  • bittoo
    bittoo
    Hiiii sir.....i m a final year engineering student from visvesvaraya technological university in electrical and electronics branch......i got two year back due to criti paper funda of our university as well as i have a very pathetic percentage of only 50% aggregate so can i get a job in ites and if so what other side skill or certificates i should process to overlook my horrible academic records....pls rply sir pls.....i am really very much depressed and tensed pls show me the righ track.....
  • rajeshraju
    rajeshraju
    Hi sir i m rajesh doing electrical engineering but because of some problems i m unable to complete my degree in on time because of my backlocks . so can i get a job in aboard and now i m bad experience in my life i m fully intrested to do ms in aboard is it possible to do sir ... but i m good in communication , hard worker... percentage differ to life sir?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-# . We hope you will find all the help you are looking for on CrazyEngineers. Unfortunately, we cannot tell you whether you will get a job abroad or not. It depends on several factors and all you can do is keep trying. However, you will first need to get a degree; which would be a must for applying to a job as an engineer.

Once you get through your engineering, try to MS in the engineering discipline of your choice. You will have to prepare for GRE and TOEFL to be eligible for MS.

rajeshraju
    but i m good in communication
    You written communication may need improvement.
  • rajeshraju
    rajeshraju
    ya sure sir i m trying to complete my degree. but what mistake i m doing i m not getting sir to correct it sir.. feeling so bad about my life...
  • Joshi13
    Joshi13
    Hello, I'm currently in seventh sem of CS engineering and I've had two year backs. My current percentage is SECOND CLASS ie. <60%. I'm planning on increasing it this year.

My question is whether I'll be able to pursue masters abroad in a decent university?
  • bhagitanneru
    bhagitanneru
    Hi friends
    This is bhagi.firstly i'm sorry my english is not that good please try to understand. purpose of posting this huge document is to share my problems with you all so that i can get some solutions.
    My name is bhagi.i completed my btech in cse#-Link-Snipped-# i'm an average student .to be frank i believe im below average student.im scared of life.firstly i would like to tell about my family background my dad actually he was a civil contractor now he is not working.he got loss in business he is an alcoholic person.my mom she is house wife.i have one sibling my brother he is younger to me .he is student. ours is a middle class family and my dad is least bothered about family.now he is sitting at home our lifes became worst now .so i started working in bpo as customer support executive.i get 12k per month.but with 12k running home is too difficult as i already told u my brother is a student "mbbs 2nd year" he is staying in hostel.so im sending 6000rs per month for his needs.And im pursuing MBA now.my job shifts are completely night after working complete night. i get tired. im unable concentrate on studies . as im average student im afraid of exams whether il pass or not this time because of this schedule im unable to concentrate on studies.i can not stop working because im only one in my family who is working.and as im btech student i don't want to work in customer support.but im scared of programing .but i want a gud job which should be related to my educational back ground and sorry to tell this i don't want programming.please suggest me which course should i take couching so that il get good job.please help me i want good job im ready to work hard. i want to be in good position.which course should i take coaching to get good job.
    thank you all for your patience.hope i did not waste your time if i did im really sorry from heart.if my english is hard to understand excuse me for this time.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bhagitanneru
    i can not stop working because im only one in my family who is working.and as im btech student i don't want to work in customer support.but im scared of programing .but i want a gud job which should be related to my educational back ground and sorry to tell this i don't want programming.
    You will have to decide what kind of job you wish to be in. In IT industry, there are a ton of various jobs that do not necessarily require you to write computer programs. You can get into hardware, networking or system administration or start your career as a manual testing engineer. You will have to find out information about the various career options you'd like to opt and then decide on the one that you think is manageable to you. If you decide on software QA (manual testing), you may join a good institute in your city/town that helps with placements. Do check with the institute's placement record before you join.

Be aware that joining a training institute or getting a certification won't guarantee a job. You will have to keep looking for that. Given your background, it's going to be difficult for you; but I'm sure you will succeed if you keep trying and don't lose patience.

If you need any other help; feel free to ask questions. All the best!
  • akakash
    akakash
    #-Link-Snipped-# -- does a person need academic record or practical knowledge ??
    how the person is being judged in an interview by his character or academics or by his prctical knowledge
    i'm posting this question to u because in many universities the recruitment companies are asking for cgpa >7.5 why ?? the person who got good CGPA are really talented??
    i will ask u some question be sincere to me in answering
    consider u are hiring persons for ur company
    case 1-- a person with good academics of cgpa 9.5
    case 2--- a person with cgpa of 7.5 and have done good internships and projects
    1)who will u hiri???
    2) how a person is judged in an interview( within that short span)
    3) why they(companies) are asking for higher cgpa??
    pls answer my questions if u have noticed
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    akakash
    does a person need academic record or practical knowledge ?
    Not sure what you mean. Practical knowledge of what?

akakash
    how the person is being judged in an interview by his character or academics or by his practical knowledge
    Any potential recruit is judged by his/her skills, past performance, past experience, knowledge relevant to the job position he/she is being considered for.

akakash
    the recruitment companies are asking for cgpa >7.5 why ?
    Because that's one simple filter they have to avoid spending time in checking every candidate. Think from the perspective of the company. If 1000 people apply for a job - are they supposed to really check each of them? That's not practical. That's why they short-list them to just about 200 or 100 through academic performance criteria and only make those who qualify appear for the test. Nothing more than that!

Of course, a person with less CGPA can definitely be an overall better candidate than the one with higher one; but how will the company know? There has to be a filtering mechanism!

akakash
    i will ask u some question be sincere to me in answering
    consider u are hiring persons for ur company
    case 1-- a person with good academics of cgpa 9.5
    case 2--- a person with cgpa of 7.5 and have done good internships and projects
    1)who will u hiri???
    2) how a person is judged in an interview( within that short span)
    3) why they(companies) are asking for higher cgpa??
    Have done this several times for multiple companies. When company hires through campuses, the academic performance definitely is a filter that picks only the constant performers.

The cases you have presented are NOT the basis of hiring. They are just the 'filters'. Good internship or project does NOT guarantee that the candidate is a good fit. That said, it's NOT possible to judge a person totally in a short span of the interview.

Remember that recruitment process is often the 'elimination' process.

What the recruiters try to do is find out:-
    1. Has this person performed consistently?
    2. Does this person have the skills necessary for the target job?
    3. Does this person have the experience necessary for the target job?
    4. How does this person respond to questions?
    5. How does this person approach the problems?
    6. Is he good with the subjects he/she has learned during engineering?
    7. Does my intuition tell me that this person will be a good fit for my team or company?
    ...and there are hundreds of such question an interviewer will try to find answers for.

But if you are really GOOD, you can always be spotted by the recruiters. It's very easy, actually. Do you have anything that you can 'show off' to the recruiters? If you are good - you've got something to show to the recruiters that will grab their attention. For example, if you are applying for a job of software developer; and you're a regular contributor to WordPress core code or have built a complex project on your own - the recruiters will be more than happy to consider you; and even change the recruitment criteria. If you are into electronics - show a project that you've worked on your own - and trust me, it has to be EXCEPTIONAL. Not your regular academic project! Something that makes the interviewers think that it'd be the biggest mistake of their life to not hire you.

At CrazyEngineers - we do not pay attention to academic performance. But give candidates a fair chance to prove their skills; but as you'd understand - it's a fairly long process. It depends upon the company what kind of candidates they want.
  • Ankit Kumar Shrivastava
    Ankit Kumar Shrivastava
    I have completed my engineering in 8 years due to health problems. I had to leave my engineering in between for three and half years and i resumed it for my final year. I have done software testing course. Is it possible for me to have a job. I have 59.4% in 10th , 59.6% in 12th and 66.78% in BE. If possible can anyone give me the direction.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankit Kumar Shrivastava
    Is it possible for me to have a job.
    Yes, have you tried applying to any jobs online or at startup companies?
  • vick999
    vick999
    #-Link-Snipped-# -- hii i am new here. i have got 93% in my 10th std and 92% in my 12th but my my engg grades are a bit low . my current cgpa is 6.10. i am currently in 5th semester. so, i need your advice for getting a good job & i am even aiming at pursuing ms from abroad... plz tell me what are my chances????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vick999
    so, i need your advice for getting a good job & i am even aiming at pursuing ms from abroad... plz tell me what are my chances?
    I'm not sure what advice I can offer. There are few things you can concentrate on -

1. Try to make sure you understand the topics taught to you in engineering.

2. Prepare for aptitude tests and technical + HR rounds of Interview.

3. If you're preparing for GRE, then make sure that you get a very good score so that you can get admission in a good University. There are people who get into not-good University, waste money and time and then keep looking for job. I know several such people.

4. Hardwork is what you should concentrate on. Shut down your WhatsApp, Facebook accounts and all other time wasting activities. Get your game together and win it. All the best!
  • vick999
    vick999
    #-Link-Snipped-# but what about my low cgpa.... will i be able to get ms admission with this cgpa if i score well in gre... plz suggest me.. i am a bit scared about my career....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vick999
    #-Link-Snipped-# but what about my low cgpa.... will i be able to get ms admission with this cgpa if i score well in gre... plz suggest me.. i am a bit scared about my career....
    I think you will have to research a bit. What course / University do you aim to seek admission in? What is its eligibility criteria? Have you tried sending email to their student council? Perhaps you should try to find out information on your own.

US Universities are 'businesses'; and I am quite sure you'll get an admit as long as you are able to pay their fee. You may not get the top college; but you should be able to get admission in a decent college.
  • usha thapa 41
    usha thapa 41
    Hi kaustubh sir,
    i had 2 years drop in FE(e&tc) and am regular after that , recently completed my BE with 64.26% also certified in base SAS .what are my chances to get placed in IT companies , can i try for Syntel?
    regards,
    usha
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    usha thapa 41
    Hi kaustubh sir,
    i had 2 years drop in FE(e&tc) and am regular after that , recently completed my BE with 64.26% also certified in base SAS .what are my chances to get placed in IT companies , can i try for Syntel?
    regards,
    usha
    Frankly speaking, I am not aware of the latest criteria that Syntel has. You'll have to look for recent job criteria on their website. You will get the most authentic information by contacting: #-Link-Snipped-#

You can of course try for Syntel. Most companies however will need you to have no backlogs or year-back during your academics.
  • usha thapa 41
    usha thapa 41
    Thnk u very much. this is the 1st blog I hv ever came across where we actually get the solution for our difficulty. One more favor can u plz suggest me some of the companies where i would b eligible applying
    thnx and regards,
    usha
  • Deepanshi
    Deepanshi

90% marks won't make you - Genius

40% marks won't make you - Failure

• Akshay Ghorpade
    Akshay Ghorpade

After reading all the reply there is lot more positive feeling are started to come from myself...

Thanks everyone...

Thanks Crazyengineers.com

• Rahul Singh
    Rahul Singh

Sir...I well in communication ...due to vtu Bangalore University bad rule and regulation ...sir due to one critical subject ..I got two yr gap ....my 10th percentage is 60%,12th is 71.8% and b.e (eee) -55% ...sir which course I have to opt java,.net, testing ...sir tell me will I eligible for job in startup

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#  - there's nothing much that can be done about the academic performance now. However, I'd advise you to start working on improving your skills-set. If you wish to make a career in IT / Software - you'll need solid skills-set and one or two certifications.

I'd recommend that you should first find out the difference between different career options - Development Vs Testing or Networking etc. and find out which one looks more appealing to you.

Once you've decided on one field - start looking for relevant certifications in that domain and try to get them.

If you are applying for a startup company, you should start building a portfolio of projects on Github. That's going to help a LOT when you are talking to startups for job. They'd rather see what you can do than how you performed in engineering.

I hope this gives you a direction.

• Ajay Raj
    Ajay Raj

Hello All. I'm Ajay, A b.tech(ECE) graduate passed out in 2016. I've secured 58% in my graduation which is not making me ineligible for technical job. Could you please suggest me a way out.A couple of things running on my mind.

1.Pursuing M.tech (Not sure about the specialization), If you would suggest me to opt for M.tech, I would also request you to help me with the specialization and also the future in that particular technology.

2. I was also in a thought of pursuing M.tech in Opto-electronics and networking, but I'm really not sure about where would it take me. The reason I've opted for this specialization as it involves Research and development.I'm enthusiastic to learn about new things. Would be grateful to you, If any one could review the above content and suggest me a way out.

Thank you,

Ajay

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

You seem to be focused on M.Tech; and that seems to be the right way. My advise would be to take mock tests and find out which college you can get with your score. This is more important than thinking about the branch or specialization. 

If you are unable to crack GATE and find the right course, you will waste lot of precious time. Have you attempted any nation-wide mock test for GATE? What rank do you think you can comfortably achieve? 

• Ajay Raj
    Ajay Raj

First;y, thank you for replying to my query, Kaustubh. I haven't applied for any of the mock tests. It's been quiet a long time, I have spent on technical subjects.

However, As you have suggested I'll go through couple of mock tests and get to know where I stand.

In addition to this, I would like to ask, If everything goes well and I'm able to clear with a good score, which field would you suggest me to opt in?

My interests lies in networking and communications.

The reason, I'm stressing too much on the course to be taken is I want to decide a point I need to reach, So that I can start the drill and there's no turning back.

I would be grateful to you, If we could connect over a call on +91 9573276340 or you can even ping me on whatsapp on the same number.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am from CSE background and want admissions in MTech (CSE/IT/IS) from IPU this year. What should be my preferences? in terms of placements , infrastructure, learning/research opportunities?
Time and again we hear news about date rape drugs wrecking havoc in people’s lives. The most troubling thing about these drugs is that they can be slipped into drinks...
Hi all!!! This is Rajesh, I have completed my B.E(CSE) in 2014 with 61%.. and attended many OFF-campus placements, But would'nt make it happen... I was much depressed about my...
Pretty much bored with Windows & iOS ? (Well Android is not boring at all, so I will deduct its names) Here arrives Jolla Sailfish Phone in India. Jolla has...
So since most of devs chooses deodexed ROM as offerings, I would like to know which one do you prefer ? And why ? Let's discuss/debate the pros & cons...