Pomodoro Technique - Does It Work?

I came across this new technique of time management, called "Pomodoro Technique" and a lot of people on the Internet say that it works. It looks very simple but the results people have obtained have been outstanding. Here's the summary of the Pomodoro Technique -
  1. Define your task.
  2. Put yourself in a distraction free environment.
  3. Set an alarm for 25 minutes (exactly 25 minutes).
  4. Focus on the task for 25 minutes, and when the alarm rings, force yourself to take a 5 minute break.
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 about four times to accomplish your task.
Would love to know if anyone's tried this technique. If yes, share your experiences, suggestions, feedback etc.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I have been doing something similar with gardening.
    Weeding is a painful task, especially if one is 75+.
    On Sundays before getting out of bed I make a decision to do some minimum minutes of this (120 to 240 minutes). I break it into 20 minute slices and take a break after each 20 minutes.
    I also write down the actual period worked. Always managed to exceed the original commitment.
    Results?
    Back pain. Pain in various parts of anatomy. A reasonably clean garden with promise of a new crop of weeds come next Sunday.
    Good to know it has a name: Pomodoro.

I do it with other less than attractive activities like some pending reports and such. Though my period is 20 minutes and I do not use an alarm.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    For those more keen on these tomatoes USCD has this download for free:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Put yourself in a distraction free environment.
    If only I could find one many of my tasks would get accomplished.
    Will try this technique in a day or two and report back.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok as someone who uses pomodoros for doing serious work , below are my observations
    1. pomodoros helps to focus. actually it helps me to quantify the number of productive hours i put in. As soon as I feel I am not focusing , I stop the pomodoros and restart it when i feel like. Making sure that i dont force myself to work when I dont want to.
    2. pomodoros breaks don't help me much as I end up taking much longer time
    3.On the flip side, when you have already gotten into flow, pomodoros breaks the flow as you relieve yourself as soon as podomoro is completed.

so, incase i am doing somethign every enagaing - i dotn use pomodoros. Incase i am needed to do something like reading theory and stuff I use pomodoros.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Pomodoro is when you feel like procrastinating. When you like what you are doing time stands still.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi there, I'm a 2014 batch passout B.Tech ECE engineer. My academics are 10th - 73%, 12th - 77% and B.Tech - 59%. I know I screwed up my Engg....
LED systems are already a hot property all over the world. From portable electronics, smartphones to home lighting solutions, LEDs can replace conventional lighting in almost all areas. A recent...
There are so many mysteries on Earth which are yet to be explained scientifically. Lets try to solve them here at CE. Go On!! Take a CRAZY Guess CEan!!😎😎 1)...
ASHISHJAINETE submitted a new project: Remote Control For Home Appliances - The circuit is connected to any of the home appliances to make the appliance ON/OFF. ABSTRACT: Remote control for...
ZipDial, a Mobile Marketing and Analytics platform that focuses on Emerging markets, was founded by Valerie Wagoner, Amiya Pathak and Sanjay Swamy in the year 2010. Valerie Wagoner has worked...