Pollen-Coated Sticky Bullets Could Help Track A Shooter!

'Guns and Roses' plays in the background as I write about Lily pollen (ah! not rose) being coated in bullets to help forensic teams track the shooter. Paul Sermon, a nano-materials engineer at Brunel University, London, and his team went along with the process by immersing the cartridge in an aluminium oxide and urea solution. These help in grabbing the skin cells of the person who loaded the gun. After their experimentation with a 9mm Browning pistol, researchers had 53 percent more feasible DNA resting with them, as compared to those collected from traditional bullets. Also, the coatings could sustain the heat generated by the bullet after it was fired.

#-Link-Snipped-#

The pollen from the Easter lily, Lilium longiflorum, follow next, when they are covered in titanium dioxide and released in liquid plastic. The bottom of the bullet casing is layered with this substance, and the merger develops a distinctive mark of the hands that loaded the gun. If at all this technique is employed, it will be a lot easier to trace the person who loaded the gun, but the question still lingers- "Who SHOT the bullet?"

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Tumblr's version 3.0 has been released for iPhone. A lot of remarkable features have been included in the new version. There is support for high-resolution images. The user interface is...
Takara Tomy has just launched i-SODOG, a smartphone-controlled robot dog for your comfort and amusement. The i-SODOG which was unveiled at the Tokyo International Toy Show is packed with advanced...
Belkin WeMo makes a mark with a video that says, 'If your home is your castle, how come the king and queen do all the work?'. The company has developed...
Researchers in Cambridge (with a team from Nokia Research Center Cambridge) have come up with a way by which water and air could be employed to produce visual displays &...
Among the RGB colors, the red and blue laser diodes are quite famously used, but there was a need of green lasers for getting high performance from the laser projectors...