Plastic Currency Notes In India - Advantages & Disadvantages

The Reserve Bank Of India (RBI) is likely to begin an experiment in select few cities in India to test the possibility of replacing the regular paper-based currency notes with plastic currency notes. The cities will be chosen based on the weather in those cities so that the long term effects of weather on currency notes can be studied. While it looks like a good idea; I thought of creating this discussion to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of plastic currency notes.

The most obvious advantage of the notes is the life - with plastic notes capable of lasting a few decades (correct me if I'm wrong). Plus you won't have to worry about the notes getting wet in rain - one of the common problems during rainy season. The main disadvantage, I believe, is the cost of printing such notes. I'd assume that the cost of the notes is going to be significantly higher; because once printed these notes will last long.

The government might launch the pilot with about 1 billion notes. Would love to have opinions on the topic.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Interesting question.

Advantages -
    As you mentioned, the plastic notes will last much longer than classic paper notes (thus reducing the cost of replacement by a significant amount).
    Other than that, they won't get easily damaged by dirt and excessive handling in rough conditions.
    Another quite major feature would be that they security features on these notes will be easy to verify as well as quite difficult to counterfeit.

Disadvantages -
    Counting them might be bit of a task. Remember those efficient old bankers, who count the bundles of thousands of rupees within seconds? That might not be possible.
    The authorities might also have to bear the cost of replacing the ATMs or vending machines (and other automatic payment devices) that issue money. Will the new plastic notes be compatible with those?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kuwait just switched from Paper to Plastic currencies. Looking at these currencies, I can say that they are better in 'built-quality' but somewhat does not 'feel' like money. That's the only issue.

Another issue that could creep out is that we'd need bigger purses to hold more cash as plastic is more 'harder' than Paper and bunch of those would definitely 'add' weight/area to the purse.

Other than that, I don't see an issue in recycling plastic in this most-efficient manner. Atleast no one will 'throw' away the money like they throw away plastic bags.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    This is most awaited thing to implement in India. Top advantage is plastic notes are more secure, tough to counterfeit.

PS: Discussing of currency, watch this movie Die Fälscher (2007) - IMDb, based on true story.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    These notes could get some chips that make it easier for machines to count them. #-Link-Snipped-# - do you think that's a possibility?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    We are assuming that plastic means a monolithic sheet. Plastic can be made like paper. I use Dupont Tyvek for medical packaging. Tyvek looks and feel like paper, yet water, puncture and tear resistant.

Anoop Mathew can continue using his existing wallet. But by the time this becomes a reality his pay may go up enough to require a briefcase instead of a wallet.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I would be glad if it was tested in TN.
    HOPE THIS BECOMES REALITY SOONER.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    These notes could get some chips that make it easier for machines to count them. #-Link-Snipped-# - do you think that's a possibility?
    But it will increase the value of printing itself and Electronic chip might have better way to temper or hack.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Reports suggest that RBI might start by circulating Rs. 10 notes in these cities. This might be quite expensive but worth a try.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know if there's any update on this? Has the government rolled out plastic currency notes yet?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Researchers and experts always try to think out of the box. They have once again leveraged such extraordinary thinking by making use of background sounds such as the noise of...
Just read the news that the government of Karnataka has made it illegal to like or share objectionable content uploaded on social media sites like Facebook, twitter, YouTube, Google Plus...
When it comes to an ultra low cost phones, the market in India is hugely dominated by the Google's Android OS smartphones. Giving a stiff competition to that, here comes...
With an aim to revolutionize live entertainment through innovative technology, TommyJams was founded by Parth Saxena and Nikhil Kapur in 2012. The founders are both Computer Science engineers, who graduated...
Running has always been one of the best ways to exercise. While most of us like to do it casually, professionals such as marathon runners and athletes take it very...