PiPlanter : The Raspberry Pi Automated Tomato Farm

Ever thought of farm automation? Devon, from esologic.com loves tomato farming and his latest Raspberry Pi project allows for automation of the tomato farm. Well don't run your brains faster - because the system basically controls the water supply to the tomato mini-farm; but Devon's work on monitoring and collecting the data from the sensors would make it easier to add features to the system in future. We definitely like what Devon has achieved and have a video of the entire system in action.

slide

The moisture sensors (see above photo) keep check on the soil in which the tomato plants are growing. But those are coupled with the temperature and light sensors as well. When the plants are at the seed stage, these sensors allow for the temperature control through heating mat. The light sensors would definitely be useful to provide the plants with the necessary light they need. The future setup may include a motorised bed which would raise the plants to the bulbs so that they don't have to works extra to get enough light.

Check out following video in which Devon explains the project in detail. We think this could be an interesting DIY or your third year mini-project using Raspberry Pi.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Another innovative use of Raspberry Pi. Bunch of Raspberry Pi and Sensor network can be used for smart farming. Looking forward to see some good idea based on this demo.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I will be on 1 week break next month, I think I will spend some serious time with the RPi.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    I will be on 1 week break next month, I think I will spend some serious time with the RPi.
    Looking forward to see your progress on CE if possible please do it. One quick-start guide for RPi on CE.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Harshad Italiya
    Looking forward to see your progress on CE if possible please do it. One quick-start guide for RPi on CE.
    I will work on RPi after the arduino one. My plan is to use it for image processing with a webcam attached to it. There are two projects I was aiming to use this for: At home (security) & the car (detecting cars and other obstacles). Though the car project will still have to wait until I can get my hands on some cheap LIDAR alternatives, lol.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wikileaks has applied to India to seek asylum for the man who exposed the governments - Mr. Edward Snowden. Snowden has acknowledged that he leaked the details of the United...
Tapping into one of the fastest smartphone markets, Japanese internet enterprise Line Corporation recently announced the launch its popular free-calling and messaging mobile app LINE in India, and its brand...
I was always puzzled to see many videos in youtube to show how to start a car without key , opening door , etc.I want to know whether there had...
Guys I am stuck with an IEEE paper but I am through with most of the topics and I am running out of money in finding a lot I heard...
Samsung's 85" beast, the 85S9 Ultra HD TV has been launched in India with a brain-blasting price tag of Rs. 27 lakh only. The display fanatics may recall that the...