PHP 5.4 + APC Vs. PHP 5.5 With Built In OPCache - Performance Comparison

We run a single box setup with PHP 5.4 and considering whether we should upgrade to PHP 5.5 to utilise the built in Zend Optimiser+. There's no clear comparison available for these two setups and I'd really appreciate if CEans can help finding out the best performer among the two. I personally am tempted to upgrade to php 5.5 with a hope that it won't break things.

Will wait for your suggestions.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: I've enabled PHP 5.5 on CE's servers and the difference is quite astonishing! I'm not sure if you've already noticed - but the page loading times on CE have drastically improved since last few hours; and I'm yet to enable Zend Optimiser+. I wish I had done the tests to log the stats to make a comparative study. Turns out that the Opcache built into PHP 5.5 outperforms PHP 5.4+APC combo.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I hope all the software you are running on your box are uptodate! PHP is slowly going to deprecate the mysql_connect methods and bring PDO as the successor.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I hope all the software you are running on your box are uptodate! PHP is slowly going to deprecate the mysql_connect methods and bring PDO as the successor.
    Yep, it is. I was skeptical about upgrading to PHP 5.5 because of a few old stuff we had to run on the site. Just updated everything and it's working fine. I could have gone the PHP 5.4+APC way; because I had it running for quite some time in the past and it worked without issues. APC however, needed me to make changes in the configuration files. PHP 5.5 eliminates all of that with OPcache built in.

The only thing I miss now is the GUI that threw a lot of interesting information about cache utilization. I hope to find a good and lightweight GUI script for the built-in one.

Right now I'm considering ditching MySQL in favor of Percona. Gotta be doing a lot of reading before I do that. LiteSpeed+Percona+PHP5.5 is going to be a kick-ass combo to run. Will try to get a few performance graphs.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    You do realize that Percona provides MySQL? If you are taking a look at Cloud DB + Managed Services do take a look at Amazon RDS as well.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, Percona has been developed to act as a drop replacement. Amazon guys have been in touch with us for porting CE to EC2. We however are sticking with LiquidWeb because they kick-ass with their support; second to none! Saves me lot of time and frustration.

Percona, as I learn, reduces memory footprint to a great extent and also handle the queries more efficiently.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, I was waiting for this! Google Webmaster Tools has confirmed that the page loading times have already gone down! Just a simple step and huge gains. I wonder how much improvement I'll see if I load LiteSpeed cache! 😁

page-loading-time

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Nice improvement. I didn't bumped in thread to say that.
    I would like to know why 'recent-activity' feature is removed ? performance improvement is due to that ? That was nice feature, I hope it returns back.
    Cheers.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We checked the usage of that page and while it was a resource hog; no one really used it. If you want it; we can put it back. I seriously want it to be a lot more useful. Do you absolutely, really want it?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# is my homepage! I used it the most, to know what's happening. I don't know about other CEans, but I used it more than CE's any of the available feature.
    I am quite sure many would be using it too. Since last five days I was waiting for it to reappear, but sadly it didn't.
    I just love that feature. If possible bring it back. Thanks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You said it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody help me out for finding the natural frequency of fan?
Do you think this (electric engine) will work. The engine consist of a gas which can be easily charged and discharged electricaly. When we negatively charge the gas through an...
What this young researcher from Vanderbilt University has achieved can make it possible to develop nanowires way thinner than human hair using electron beams. Junhao Lin, A Ph.D. student at...
Could you please suggest how can I get pdfs of the following books (ebook)? 1. Proficiency in Reading Comprehension Simplifying the Passage for you by Ajay Singh 2. Objective English...
I am looking to develop a site for some event for one of the college in my area. So was looking to get some help and ideas. My first query...