Phones For Apps For Firefox OS For Free - HTML5 Developers, Attention!

Firefox OS based smartphones are coming. This summer, these phones will be available at select market places for consumers. But don't we all love some free stuff? So, if you are a HTML5 Developer, hear, hear! Those of you who are passionate about open mobile web development and are already busy coding, testing your app idea and clicking on ‘Send to Device’ at the Firefox Simulator, here's your chance to showcase your great idea and skill at building the app and win something for it. If you participate in Mozilla's new "Phones for Apps for Firefox OS" program, you have a chance to get your hands on the Firefox OS Powered Keon & Peak Phones Launched as an early bird. Moreover, your app gets featured on the Marketplace as the Firefox OS launch begins - Yeah, the first-mover advantage.

All that the developer has to do is tell Mozilla about the Firefox App he/she would like to build or port. If the proposal is accepted, Mozilla will send you the phone 'Keon' for free. So, if you are already the best at building apps for the competitors - Chrome, webOS, Blackberry WebWorks, or the PhoneGap store, you might definitely want to try your hand at Firefox OS.

Mozilla- Firefox-OS-Phones

You have a wide arena to choose from for the idea of your app. It could be a game, a tool, a utility or even a sports, travel, entertainment or review app. End users based in Latin America, Eastern Europe etc. will only be glad to install and run them. This program will close at the end of May or when the limited supply of Geeksphones runs out and it is important for you to note that - there’s a limit of one phone per app proposal.

Here's where you can apply: #-Link-Snipped-#. Let us know what you're thinking in comments. We love to hear from developers.

Source: Phones for Apps for Firefox OS - Mozilla Hacks - the Web developer blog

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am looking forward for Mozilla to publicly release image of Firefox OS. It's not that I don't like Android, but Firefox OS seems quite faster than Android in low-end phones with ARMv6 or ARMv7 processors.

However, I am keen to know whether any CEan submitted form for porting/developing Application for Firefox OS ? 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    And I really want to what engineers have to say about the FireFox OS.
    Android has the open platofrm with solid set of services
    Apple has a super-fine ecosystem and a cultish aura around it
    Windows has Nokia's hardware and tons of money.

What does Mozilla have that will dazzle all the market?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Ankita Katdare
    What does Mozilla have that will dazzle all the market?
    Mozilla have dedicated "Community" which Apple,Windows & even Android lacks.
    Okay, scratch "Android" they've vast community but Apple & Windows ? Umm they lack the love of community mainly because they're closed source.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    Mozilla have dedicated "Community" which Apple,Windows & even Android lacks.
    Okay, scratch "Android" they've vast community but Apple & Windows ? Umm they lack the love of community mainly because they're closed source.
    Agreed. But the problem is only community cant sell phones. We need some USP.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I agree.
    What I think is, With the rise of Opensource Mobile Operating systems, the new trend will begun.There was a time when you once buy a phone you have to use the operating system which comes embedded with the phone, no matter you like it or not.
    But now, due to rise of Opensource mobile operating systems we have choices, We can flash different ROMs.

What I mean is : Phones are just hardware.So, buy the phone which you think has better configuration & then you have options, that which OS you would like to run in your device.
    Freedom, ah!
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    I agree.
    What I think is, With the rise of Opensource Mobile Operating systems, the new trend will begun.There was a time when you once buy a phone you have to use the operating system which comes embedded with the phone, no matter you like it or not.
    But now, due to rise of Opensource mobile operating systems we have choices, We can flash different ROMs.

What I mean is : Phones are just hardware.So, buy the phone which you think has better configuration & then you have options, that which OS you would like to run in your device.
    Freedom, ah!
    Amen to that!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wishing our oldie CEan narayana murthy a very happy birthday! 😁 Have a blast, friend! 🎉
It is official. BlackBerry Q10, the 3.1-inch Super AMOLED screened, QWERTY keypad bearing smartphone with the latest BlackBerry 10 operating system (second only to BlackBerry Z10) is here. Snapdeal, the...
Dear CEans, i am new to codeigniter i need live availability code i am using codeigniter. i am inserting values(username,password,email,phone number) by using array . if the email is already...
When it comes to the Indian engineering students and their academics, the only places that they want to get into are the series of colleges under the Indian Institute of...
What is Norton's theorem? What is its significance and are there any advantages over Thevenin's theorem?