Phantom Terrains Software Helps Deaf People "Hear" WiFi By Making Signals Audible.

Frank Swain, a London-based freelance science writer, has developed this new software called Phantom Terrains that turns local WiFi signals to audible sounds. The writer who has been slowly progressing towards deafness since his 20s, has worked with sound artist Daniel Jones to develop this software which works well with smartphones and hearing aids. Phantom Terrains employs the smartphone's WiFi sensors to collect and analyze data from nearby fields. This data is then further decoded and converted to sound patterns that are wirelessly transmitted to Swain's customized hearing aids. Using his smartphone and this software together, Swain has a kind of aural map along with the hearing aid's normal output.

wifi

The software interprets distant signals as background clicks that vary with proximity. The signals in closer proximity sing their network ID information in a looped melody. Swain stated that all he's doing is listening to a computer's interpretation of the soundscape. He's looking forward to further customize the software by adding elements that could bring about a more interpretative version of the world.

Replies

• anjana ng
    anjana ng
    How to download

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you thought those Quick Response (QR) codes could serve no other purpose than acting as a label that holds all information about the item to which it is attached...
With an aim to build customized motorcycles, Rajputana Customs was started by Vijay Singh in Jaipur in the year 2009. Rajputana Customs is a small motorcycle outfit that modifies bikes...
So, we are in the process for spreading out the word about the CrazyEngineers Week Celebrations and are actively posting about it on CE, Twitter and Facebook. We would love...
i have thought of making a door security system that uses smart card to lock and unlock. but i have no idea about any of the smart card module that...
I was browsing CE and it hit me that we really miss a dedicated thread about LEDs. Does that matter? No, it doesn't. But, I thought it would be great...