'Phablets' too slabby? Check out the 'Passport'!

Yeah, Blackberry is back in town with the new 'Passport' design. Check out the video below:-

This model does invoke mixed reviews, But, my question is should Android Heads think of another innovative design for their smartphones?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Someone just shared this on Twitter -

[โ€‹IMG]

The specs are really quite at war!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Ankita Katdare
    Someone just shared this on Twitter -

[โ€‹IMG]

iPhone on a '#-Link-Snipped-#' spree?

P.S: Check the #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yeah. I checked that yesterday. For some buyers, the iPhone 6 got bent in their pockets. ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Yogesh Borkar
    Yogesh Borkar
    When you are able to buy an iPhone 6, you should flaunt it by holding it in your hand rather than keeping it in your pocket.๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Nice try but fail... would be great if they come up with passport size full edge to edge screen and external key board or even only touch key board.
    How can anyone type on such wide device. They should have come up with single hand usability.
    If I ware blackberry user I would prefer old blackberry phone than this RIP blackberry.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Ankita Katdare
    "Die Blackberry", "Too little too late", "so 2002", and of course "RIP". These are some of the most commonly used words in the comment sections of articles related to BlackBerry 10 phones. Still the company is doing a good job and daring to try something different.

I personaly believe that a phone should be beyond and more than just 'specs'. Maybe it is worthwhile to list a couple of subtle enhancements in passport.

1. It is unlikely to bend. Stainless steel reinforced ๐Ÿ˜‰.
    2. This is a point copied from a #-Link-Snipped-#. ( Yes, the guy actually used the phone)

"The Passport is actually doing a load of clever things to enhance the conversation experience, and it starts with a microphone in the phone's earpiece. BlackBerry says that this microphone "measures the sound pressure in your ear" and dynamically adjusts the volume.

The simplest test was to have a conversation and rock the phone along the side of my head, simulating pressing it between my ear and shoulder while filing important paperwork. It worked as advertised: as the earpiece moved to an awkward angle on my head, the call became louder to compensate, maintaining a neat equilibrium. It's a subtle effect, but the sort of minute, quality-of-life improvement that I'd expect from a high-end phone."

3. The physical keyboard + word prediction + flick is a great combination for accurate typing. Especially for people who type complete words and sentences ( that is not an extinct species yet).

4. For spec lovers passport has got pretty modern CPU, 3 GB of ram, 32 GB storage and a monster battery to run through a day and more.

I think there is nothing to sneeze at this phone. Thinking when to buy this one ( wait for the first price cut or not ?)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's quite refreshing to see Blackberry fanboy! ๐Ÿ˜€ If you buy one, please do post a review!

PS: I like the design, but not sure how comfortable it will be to hold.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't understand how can BB justify this design ..
    Who uses BB, they are busy person, need a phone with massive battery life, can do email and should be easily handled.
    [โ€‹IMG]
    Mostly you can't handle the phone with one hand and forget the typing. then where is the usability while driving, eating, talking to other phone.
    using two hand it self keyboard is so low that you will feel dis-balance. Try typing on bezel of your phone.

Busy guys need this kind of phone. Fits in pocket , easily handled.
    [โ€‹IMG]
    Trust me I am not criticizing BB passport because I hate but I know guys who can afford iphone or whatever in market but they prefer phone with just to emailing, document things, physical keyboard and most over easily handled.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Design looks impressive to me but comfort of using it is confusing me. Waiting for reviews on looks and usability
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's quite refreshing to see Blackberry fanboy! ๐Ÿ˜€ If you buy one, please do post a review!

PS: I like the design, but not sure how comfortable it will be to hold.
    Thanks, Boss...๐Ÿ‘. But not a fanboi though. I love alternative mobile OSs - Sailfish, Jolla, firefox or ubuntu or so on. But one condition is the camera should be decent (8MP or more).

However, I don't think I will buy this on launch. My Z30 does the job pretty well at present. Maybe after the first price cut? That or a Jolla ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

Anoop Kumar
    Mostly you can't handle the phone with one hand and forget the typing. then where is the usability while driving, eating, talking to other phone.
    using two hand it self keyboard is so low that you will feel dis-balance. Try typing on bezel of your phone.
    Those are all valid points , in the first look. I remember that when 4" full touch phones launched, they too were perceived as "big, clumsy, not fitting pocket" types. But they eventually got accepted. Now any phone less than 5" seems to be "small".

So there is a chance that maybe passport too get accepted? I think without trying it atleast once it is not fair to write this phone off. Maybe some other feature(s) might negate the lack of thereof? I wish people give passport a reasonable chance.

Anoop Kumar
    Busy guys need this kind of phone. Fits in pocket , easily handled.

Trust me I am not criticizing BB passport because I hate but I know guys who can afford iphone or whatever in market but they prefer phone with just to emailing, document things, physical keyboard and most over easily handled.
    Indeed, I got what are you saying. I miss compact mobile phones. My dream phone is something like shown in the picture. Short and sweet with a very good camera. I wish somehow Nokia resurrect a QWERTY pureview?

[โ€‹IMG]
    But I think the world has moved on and now everyone and his horse needs a bigger badass phone. Media consumption gained upper hand over ease of communication in traditional way. It is increasingly difficult to see mobile phones as mere communication devices. Until something seriously revolutionary happens ( CISCO telepresence mobile?) the trend might continue. No wonder BlackBerry tried something to bridge the past with present, thinking that it may work. I indeed admire that they tried.

I wish passport to succeed moderately. That perhaps encourage BlackBerry to improve it further. BlackBerry 10 is one of the best aesthetically pleasing mobile OS I have ever seen ( next to Palm OS, indeed). It does not need huge processing power to perform, but enough memory.

Phew..! Think I must end my rant here. Keep more alternative mobiles coming. Choice is always welcome.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Divyaprakash
    Thanks, Boss...๐Ÿ‘. But not a fanboi though. I love alternative mobile OSs - Sailfish, Jolla, firefox or ubuntu or so on. But one condition is the camera should be decent (8MP or more).

However, I don't think I will buy this on launch. My Z30 does the job pretty well at present. Maybe after the first price cut? That or a Jolla ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

Those are all valid points , in the first look. I remember that when 4" full touch phones launched, they too were perceived as "big, clumsy, not fitting pocket" types. But they eventually got accepted. Now any phone less than 5" seems to be "small".

So there is a chance that maybe passport too get accepted? I think without trying it atleast once it is not fair to write this phone off. Maybe some other feature(s) might negate the lack of thereof? I wish people give passport a reasonable chance.

Indeed, I got what are you saying. I miss compact mobile phones. My dream phone is something like shown in the picture. Short and sweet with a very good camera. I wish somehow Nokia resurrect a QWERTY pureview?

[โ€‹IMG]
    But I think the world has moved on and now everyone and his horse needs a bigger badass phone. Media consumption gained upper hand over ease of communication in traditional way. It is increasingly difficult to see mobile phones as mere communication devices. Until something seriously revolutionary happens ( CISCO telepresence mobile?) the trend might continue. No wonder BlackBerry tried something to bridge the past with present, thinking that it may work. I indeed admire that they tried.

I wish passport to succeed moderately. That perhaps encourage BlackBerry to improve it further. BlackBerry 10 is one of the best aesthetically pleasing mobile OS I have ever seen ( next to Palm OS, indeed). It does not need huge processing power to perform, but enough memory.

Phew..! Think I must end my rant here. Keep more alternative mobiles coming. Choice is always welcome.
    Quite convincing brother !!!
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Quite convincing brother !!!

Heh..! I know. It's just that I didn't want to overdo!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The Passport is priced at Rs. 49,990! โ˜•๐Ÿ˜จ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ankita Katdare
    Because less than this price would be considered as cheap, and it would not be a luxury.

* and wait and see the price to do down to โ‚น 19, 999/- ๐Ÿ˜
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Ankita Katdare
    Maybe - just maybe - I should start loving android!

Hey, hello Jolla...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, I am pursuing my masters in advanced computer networks. Given this information, I wish to know if it is useful to learn android programming. If yes, then please enlighten...
Muthuveeran.A submitted a new project: Touch Screen Sheet - untouch screens are using this sheet working as touch basic idea for develop the touch screen sheet for using the scartch...
I did my BE in Electronics and Telecommunication.I want to pursue MS in CS. I will be having around 20 months of experience in IT field by next year. I...
I came across the thread on CE itself Do you believe Indians are bad programmers? Almost everyone belief that programming and writing better code is an art. a reply from...
Raghav Sood started coding when he was just 9 years old. At 15, he went on to start Appaholics in the year 2011 and is currently studying in Standard XII....