Perl or Python?

I want to write a script to
-read and write Database
-send http request/response to server
Which is the best language I can use? Perl or Python? I am not familiar with both the scripts.

Suggest a Database I can use to store around 25000 values and read write simultaneously from multiple devices.

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Perl. there are a lot of reads on this though. Its good for sending HTTP requests. A Good crawler script i previously made out of it. I dont know its performance on Databases though
  • Igneta D'Souza
    Igneta D'Souza
    Thank you. But why not python. what is the advantage of perl over python?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    There is not exactly an advantage OVER situation. They are both equal in some or the other aspects. Try it out on both.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Dear, according to my personal option the language which you can learn by heart is best to work with. I have learnt python and hence I feel free to work with python. But when the question for best of two comes , I think that python is best. The scripts can be easily made and executed through it.
    You might not have this information that GOOGLE is totally based on python. The python developers are proffered in GOOGLE. So, you can imagine the importance and performance of both...
  • gbit
    gbit
    Igneta D'Souza
    I want to write a script to
    -read and write Database
    -send http request/response to server
    Which is the best language I can use? Perl or Python? I am not familiar with both the scripts.

Suggest a Database I can use to store around 25000 values and read write simultaneously from multiple devices.
    Choose the language with which you can easily work out with. Both languages are excellent and they have support of extensive libraries, The functionality is mentioned by you can be programmed in both languages. I cannot endorse a specific language to you its up to you with which language you are comfortable with.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Python has support for pre-compiled modules whereas Perl is purely scripting language. Other than that, both languages offer rich DB support. You can use SQLite for your requirements.
  • Sanjeev Jaiswal
    Sanjeev Jaiswal
    You need to learn Perl very well before saying its just a scripting language 😀

One more thing it's Perl or perl But never say PERL please.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Maybe this should go to the Chem E section. However, the principle demands a wider audience. So here. Non Newtonian fluids have a force/viscosity relationship. Higher the applied force greater...
Failures should be taken in stride. Especially in engineering. This dad, who failed to repair a kitchen scale used its sensors to convert a wheel chair for his virtually totally...
Here is a list of seven greats in biomedical device invention. Prof.Wilhelm Kolff mentored some of the activity at Sri Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum. https://www.qmed.com/mpmn/medtechpul...e-innovation?cid=nl.qmed02#.UqFlZxcrjVg.email
Microsoft’s Digital Crimes Unit has managed to disrupt operations of ZeroAccess botnet by blocking incoming and outgoing communications between computers located in the US to 18 IP addresses which were...
The following is arguable Still, the wonder remains. Quote: As a species, humans have spent about $150 billion on the International Space Station. This is a lot of money, which...