Paid YouTube Channels To Come - Is This The End Of Television?

A person who apparently does not wish to reveal his true identity has come forward to say that now some channels on YouTube are about to become paid. In the few weeks to come, we will be seeing certain channels getting paid subscription service. According to The Financial Times, the viewers would be charged as little as $1.99 a month. Though the internet is raft with speculations in and around the nature of reactions this would garner to YouTube, the company behind has said it has no such announcements to make. Well, at the same time, YouTube hasn't even ignored the fact that it is in-fact building a "subscription platform" that provides its partners with a way to generate revenue beyond the ADs and video rentals.

We are not yet sure if these paid YouTube videos wil contain advertising or not, so we are keeping our fingers crossed. Because come what may, most of us would love to get rid of the initial 30 seconds of ADs that make us all impatient and irritable.

slide

It is indeed evident that YouTube has evolved a lot since its initial user-generated content model. Now, we have channels from the best in the industry, who create professional videos, do product promotions and even telecast major TV shows. Does that ring a bell? Now, the companies will be able to generate revenues out of old-yet-gold TV series, shows and films. The trend is definitely changing. The media company's - DreamWorks Animation recent acquisition of the Awesomeness TV, a “teen-focused” YouTube network speaks a lot about it.

This all just goes to say that services like Netflix, the streaming service or Hulu that already have millions of faithful subscribers, are sure to face a fierce competition in days to come. After all the statement has a lasting impression - If you're good at something, never do it for free.

Replies

• AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    Television are not going to fade away so easily. Youtube still provides you with episodes from the daily soaps. So I dont think it will affect much. Obviously people in the offices and in some other parts of the world will extract a lot from this technology.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Update: It is official now!

Starting today, we’re launching a pilot program for a small group of partners that will offer paid channels on YouTube with subscription fees starting at $0.99 per month. Every channel has a 14-day free trial, and many offer discounted yearly rates. For example, Sesame Street will be offering full episodes on their paid channel when it launches. And UFC fans can see classic fights, like a full version of their first event from UFC’s new channel. You might run into more of these channels across YouTube, or look here for a list of pilot channels. Once you subscribe from a computer, you’ll be able to watch paid channels on your computer, phone, tablet and TV, and soon you’ll be able to subscribe to them from more devices.
    - From Official YouTube Blog

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1> Do you think the youth of today can be the better survivors of tomorrow? 2> Is the potential exhibited in each youngster channelled properly today? 3> Can India retain...
Windows fans, there's a reason to rejoice. Windows has confirmed the launch of the much-anticipated update to Windows 8 for later this year under the codename - 'Windows Blue'. Just...
Hi I am Geetam Bharadwaj. I am from Electronics and Telecommuication Branch. Presently I am working in Robotics and Automation field. I am with you to gather more knowledge and...
Air coolers typically use the electric induction motor. Let's discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these motors.
Hello, I just have a question what does practically happen when we delete some files. It creates us the space but where does the deleted file vanishes.