Packet rate versus data rate

In inter networking, what is the difference between data rate and packet rate?

How and to what extent can one affect the other?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Could you explain the question further? Give us some context? Where did you read that? Was it in a text book? What chapter? What topic? What part did you not understand?
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Could you explain the question further? Give us some context? Where did you read that? Was it in a text book? What chapter? What topic? What part did you not understand?
    I was reading a chapter on Switching Fabrics and under the heading: - 'Bandwidth of an internal fast path', I found the following sentence:

As with the other aspects of network systems, two measures are used- aggregate data rate and aggregate packet rate.

Looks like they are talking about the measures that define the bandwidth of internal path.

It was in context to this line that I asked the difference between aggregate data rate and aggregate packet rate.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Do you measure data in Bytes/bits.
    Then data rate is "How much bits/Bytes" yo are sending per second.
    Packet consists the bundle of data, depends how big is the packet. So number of packets per second is packet rate.
    They use packet rate because it contains the signature (forgot the exact keyword), easier to track in networking, thus more relevant to use packets metrics instead of data.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Anoop Kumar
    Do you measure data in Bytes/bits.
    Then data rate is "How much bits/Bytes" yo are sending per second.
    Packet consists the bundle of data, depends how big is the packet. So number of packets per second is packet rate.
    They use packet rate because it contains the signature (forgot the exact keyword), easier to track in networking, thus more relevant to use packets metrics instead of data.
    but how do they affect the bandwidth in different ways.....
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Suppose you have 1 packet = 100 Kb of data.
    It will affect if you have large number of packet rate.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Say if I were to study Blue tooth programming using Java this year, how can this help me if I decide to do for Doctorate program the next year? Any...
Now a days I am playing NES and Gameboy games in my machine using emulators. It's quite hard to find the ROMs of games without using the mighty TPB. So,...
If your about-to-go-dead camera's batteries need to be charged just before a long trip, who won't be annoyed? If the camera did not need batteries, wouldn't that really be something?...
Team of engineers from NASA and University of California, Berkeley have teamed up to develop unique folding robots that can survive lengthy drop on any planet and then began rolling...
All the things that one would expect from a smartphone priced below Rs. 5000 are available on the new Lava phone called 'Lava Iris X1 Atom'. Running on the Android...