Ovality Confusion

Hey guys,

This is one of the problems that we as a company face during our quality audit. We cater machined products to the customers and we recently had an argument on how much ovality can a hole have it its tolerance and dia is given. For example, lets consider we have a hole of 55mm with a tolerance of +0.05/-0.05. Present scenario is that the ovality of that hole can be (0.05+0.05)/2 that is 0.05mm. But i am not able to find any proof from the standards to back it up. Also when i had a look up at the pipe industries, they are measuring ovality in percentage, and their standards are 5-8% of the nominal diameter is applicable. But i just want to know if there is any specific standards for these kind of non-piping operatons. So i appriciate your help in this topic and if you can also provide with the source of your opinion, that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sid

Replies

• Smiech
    Smiech
    Hi,

Standars are developed by trade associations, government agencies and private companies. They are meant to provide a minimum set of guidelines for engeneering and construction. But by no means are these rules to be a substitute for good engineering practices. To give you an example:
    - ISO standards (International organitation for standarization)
    - BSI standards (British standards institution)
    - MSS standards (Manufacturers Standardizations Society)
    - AWS standards ( American Welding Society)
    - DIN Standards (German Institute for Standardization).

So, the most important thing for you to Know is which standard, rule or norm you should apply, depending on the field of legislation, on the area of application and specific issues involved.

I hope I have been able to help you...

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello guys can anyone tell me how to start a conversation or how to write on someone's wall 😔😔😔
Price-Hunt was founded by Anupam Khurana, who is a 1995 batch Delhi University pass out with a B.E. degree in Mechanical Engineering, with the motto of "helping the user decide”...
A movie on the cryptanalyst who deciphered German Nazi's Enigma Code during WWII has got the best actors in one place! Alan Turing shall be lived on-screen by the brilliant...
Micromax has launched a brand new 32 inch LED TV in India as an addition to its portfolio which has two more LED TVs to offer. The Micromax 32T42ECHD is...