Optimize PNG Images - OptiPNG

Portable Network Graphics (PNG) is one of the most widely used image formats because it employs loss less data compression techniques. The PNG format was created to improve the traditional GIF image format. However, PNG images could be larger in sizes than JPEG or BMP formats. Let me discuss an easy technique to reduce the size of PNG images using a simple command line tool called 'OptiPNG' created by Cosmin Truta. The tool comes with lot of options, but we'll stick to the most basic ones to get the work done, fast.

Download your OptiPNG fromOptiPNG Home Page. For this tutorial, I've used OptiPNG 0.6.4, Windows EXE version. Download the zip and extract it to say C:\optipng\ folder. With this setup, your optipng.exe should be available at C:\optipng\optipng.exe. Also move the PNG images you wish to compress/optimize in the same folder (optipng). For this tutorial, I've crazyengineers.png which is whooping 11kb in size.

Now fire up your command prompt and change the directory to c:\optipng\

Now type following command on the command prompt -

optipng -o2 crazengineers.png

Note: replace the crazyengineers.png with the name of the file you wish to optimize.

See the screenshot -

#-Link-Snipped-#
OptiPNG

I got crazyengineers.png shrunk in size from 11kb to just 4kb, without any apparent loss in quality.

In general, the command format is: optipng [-options] files. Further information can be obtained here.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Waterloo labs surely got few of the Craziest Engineers in Texas. The group operates from Texas and posts awesome Do It Yourself (DIY) videos. These bunch of engineers from the...
Facebook is a part of life of millions of users. It’s no more just a social network. It’s an independent platform that has changed the way we experience content on...
Motorola PC Xoom - the next generation tablet runs on latest version of Google Android Operating System "Honeycomb". The tablet will make public debut in the first quarter of 2011....
IIT Kanpur presents its annual technology and entrepreneurship festival – Techkriti 2011 this February from 17th to 20th. The main attractions among the events at Techkriti 2011 will be: 1....
Droid Bionic by Motorola Mobility was showcased by CEO Sanjay Jha to the reporters at the CES 2011. Bionic is set to rival latest Android phones introduced by Samsung, HTC...