Optical Computing : Store 10.6 Years Of HD-TV Video On Single Disc!

Engineers at Swinburne University Of Technology have developed an optical computing technology that would allow storing of about 10.6 years of HD-TV video on a single disc aka nearly a petabyte (=1048576 GB) of data on a single disc. Professor Min Gu, the diretor for micro-photonics at Swinburne said that the technology now allows us to produce a focal spot that is about 1 / 10,000 th of the human hair. It allows more data to be written on the overall writeable area of the disc. The breakthrough technique developed by Prof. Gu and his team mates Zongsong Gan and Dr. Yaoyu Cao allows 3-D optical beam lithography at nine nanometers. Just to put it into proper reference, the head of a pin is about a million nanometers!

optical-computing

Essentially, the team has overcome a fundamental law o optical science, discovered in 1873 by scientist Ernst Abbe, that the light beam focused by a lens cannot produce a focal spot smaller than half of the wavelength or 500 nm for visible light.

While this law allowed development of modern microscopy and became an indispensable tool in physics, chemistry, material and biological sciences; it created barrier for the scientists to access small structures which are just a few nanometers wide. Professor Gu says that optical beam lithography is the ultimate approach to 3D fabrication at the nano level. The details of the research can be obtained from Swinburne official page: #-Link-Snipped-#

We've seen how the research engineers are working on development of next generation of storage systems for the ever growing data storage needs. It's estimated that the total amount of data generated by the world doubles every two years - and we are soon going to be in the dire need of better storage system. The petabyte class, disk based storage systems could open entirely new frontiers for storing information on optical media - something that's taken a backseat in the last few months with the emergence of cloud storage system.

We however are quite excited by the idea of storing truckloads of our photos and videos on a single physical disc. What about you?

Related Reading:

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Very good development by Micro-Photonics.

However, I firmly believe it will take 10.6 years for this product to enter the commercial market. 😉
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Optical computing definitely makes some sence here. I dont think it will take more time to enter market.But what about the reliability factor that was to be researched more?
    What may be the price single disk?
    Do you think it will be affordable to citizens?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have a dumb question, how shall we play this CD? Will the blue ray drive which already exists works? or we have to develop a new reader for this new one like we did for DVD and blue ray rite. So It will be a costly affair again 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    English-Scared
    I have a dumb question, how shall we play this CD? Will the blue ray drive which already exists works? or we have to develop a new reader for this new one like we did for DVD and blue ray rite. So It will be a costly affair again 😀
    This is an entirely new technology and the players would be totally different. Just like your normal DVD player can't play a Blu-ray; these type of disks would need a special reading mechanism. Of course this is going to be a costly affair.

I however think that this technology would eventually make it to the data-centers than consumers homes. With growing Internet bandwidths; I expect more people to store their data in the clouds and the clouds would be able to offer practically unlimited storage space.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well data streaming A Bluray completely itself is not done to 100 % So I think this idea really far fetched But Really an awesome innovation

Recently everything is moving in light speed any idea why ??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am doing an year long internship at a software company. Now they are asking my PAN card number for tax deduction. As I am not an Employee or...
As according to zigbee standards we heard for 2.4GHz,852MHz and lesser rate of frequencies as RF transceivers in communication for several applictions.here is the first 1GHz zigbee module adaptive Network...
hi friends, i found the a good difference between Firfox Os and Andriod Os on https://mobiforge.com/developing/sto...obile-developers-q-a-with-andreas-gal-mozilla. if any other difference and extra features about this ,if any there means share...
EDGE - Educating Girls for Engineering seems to be an interesting exercise that may restore gender imbalance in the field of engineering. Read more here: Educating Girls for Engineering Is...