Operating system architecure

what is the major difference in operating system of windows
architecture and linux operatins system architecture and does'nt window has kernel???

I also wanted to know the need of kernel and what functionalities are present in kernel for which it is made a part of operating system architecure ,and if i dnt have kernel in my os ,then hoe does os functionality would be affected??

And also it is said that kernel is a part of os so actually what other functionalities are there which are not so important to be kept in a kernel

Replies

• avii
    avii
    This is a very broad question. I would suggest you to start with an OS book. OS by William Stallings or Tannenbaum will be a good start.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    avii
    This is a very broad question. I would suggest you to start with an OS book. OS by William Stallings or Tannenbaum will be a good start.
    ya i will do so but just can u reply to the 2 nd part of the question"what functionalities are present in kernel for which it is made a part of operating system architecure ,and if i dnt have kernel in my os ,then how does os functionality would be affected??"
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    radha gogia
    what functionalities are present in kernel for which it is made a part of operating system architecure ,
    Kernel is the software that talks with your hardware. It bridges gap between applications running in user mode to hardware. Kernel is responsible for sharing, allocating & handling resources to each & every task 'efficiently'. It is responsible for process management, file management, I/O management, memory management. In short, Kernel is the one that manages everything, from smallest function like changing volume or brightness of your device to managing the task.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kernel is the software that talks with your hardware. It bridges gap between applications running in user mode to hardware. Kernel is responsible for sharing, allocating & handling resources to each & every task 'efficiently'. It is responsible for process management, file management, I/O management, memory management. In short, Kernel is the one that manages everything, from smallest function like changing volume or brightness of your device to managing the task.
    I already know all this my focus is on is kernel present in every os, becoz i studied the classifications of os like layered, and all ,so i gues there was no kernel in it and even kernel is a part of os ,so actually what all other functionalities and services are kept outside kernel..
    and what if i dnt have kernel as a part of os ,
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    radha gogia
    I already know all this my focus is on is kernel present in every os, becoz i studied the classifications of os like layered, and all ,so i gues there was no kernel in it and even kernel is a part of os ,so actually what all other functionalities and services are kept outside kernel..
    and what if i dnt have kernel as a part of os ,
    Which book/tutorials you used to study OS ? I am learning OS concepts too & I regularly come with term 'kernel'.
    AFAIK all modern OS requires Kernel.

Alright, let's start from scratch. Can you tell the difference between Kernel & OS ?
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    Abhishek Rawal
    Which book/tutorials you used to study OS ? I am learning OS concepts too & I regularly come with term 'kernel'.
    AFAIK all modern OS requires Kernel.

Alright, let's start from scratch. Can you tell the difference between Kernel & OS ?
    i studied these two main differences :
    1. Kernel is responsible for Hardware level interactions at some specific range.But the OS is like hardware level interaction with full scope of computer.
    2. Kernel triggers SystemCalls to intimate os that this resource is available at this point of time.OS is responsible to handle that system calls in order to utilize the resource,.. but still i have a confusion i my mind that actually what part of os remains in kernel and what else is actually outside it
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Damn! You just copied from this : #-Link-Snipped-# !! I honestly hate that.

Anyways,
    radha gogia
    1. Kernel triggers SystemCalls to intimate os that this resource is available at this point of time.OS is responsible to handle that system calls in order to utilize the resource,.. but still i have a confusion i my mind that actually what part of os remains in kernel and what else is actually outside it
    Kernel doesn't trigger systemcall. A process performs it, which in result will generate the interrupt & is sent to the kernel then interrupt handling takes place & retrieves back to normal ongoing task after handler completes the necessary high priority task.

radha gogia
    i studied these two main differences :
    1. Kernel is responsible for Hardware level interactions at some specific range.But the OS is like hardware level interaction with full scope of computer.
    Can you explain what does it mean by "some specific range" & "full scope of computer" ?

Since spoon-feeding has already screwed India's Engineering ecosystem, I would ask you to do some research on your own & tell us the difference between Kernel & OS (Hint : Since Kernel is subset of OS, there is very marginal difference) in your OWN words. I know you'll.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    Abhishek Rawal
    Damn! You just copied from this : #-Link-Snipped-# !! I honestly hate that.

Anyways,

Kernel doesn't trigger systemcall. A process performs it, which in result will generate the interrupt & is sent to the kernel then interrupt handling takes place & retrieves back to normal ongoing task after handler completes the necessary high priority task.

Can you explain what does it mean by "some specific range" & "full scope of computer" ?

Since spoon-feeding has already screwed India's Engineering ecosystem, I would ask you to do some research on your own & tell us the difference between Kernel & OS (Hint : Since Kernel is subset of OS, there is very marginal difference) in your OWN words. I know you'll.
    i studied it from here only and what i analysed it that some of the applications like editor,compilers and all are actually a part of os, only while the basic things like managing drivers,process management and how actually system calls are to be managed are done by kernel ,i preffered to read differences from stackoverflow only,and as far as spoonfeeding is concerned ,its ur mindset , i was getting confused much ,studied but still could not get proper explanations,there were conflicts from many sites i studied,so just asked.
    Anyways thankss for your reply,i will explore more..
  • avii
    avii
    Abhishek Rawal
    Most of OP's questions/threads directly or indirectly ask for spoon feeding

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

XOLO does it again by bringing one of the latest features in an Android smartphone at an affordable price in India. Launched today, the XOLO Q2100 features fingerprint sensor that...
Alcatel has announced the India launch of its Firefox OS smartphone at a press event held yesterday. The Alcatel Onetouch Fire C comes with a dirt-cheap price tag of Rs....
Howdy CEans, I'm about to buy a phone, and thinking of Moto G 2nd Generation. After sales service would be much appreciated. Please don't suggest any company like Micromax, Lava,...
Wishing our dear CEan @Chaitanya Kukde a very happy birthday! Its your day!
Researchers from the RMIT University have created a nano-structure by using a technology that emulates the human brain. The novel structure is developed by using a thin film, which is...