Online Debate Competition #4 - Is genetic engineering ethical?

Ever heard of term Genetic Engineering?
Genetic engineering, also called genetic modification, is the direct manipulation of an organism's genome using biotechnology. New DNA may be inserted in the host genome by first isolating and copying the genetic material of interest using molecular cloning methods to generate a DNA sequence, or by synthesizing the DNA, and then inserting this construct into the host organism.

The folks against it will have one word for sure that "It's GOD grace", we shouldn't play with it; however the ones in favor of it will say we are modifying almost all the GOD's creativity in the benefits of Human being than what not use genetics as well.

#-Link-Snipped-#

The modern science is tremendously using Genetic Engineering in the field of Human being, Agriculture, farming and industry at the same time there are innumerable anti effects as well.

What's your say about it?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The only problem with genetic engineering is its perception among people. Here in India in the past we have seen protests from farmers who thought that genetically modified crops were bad for them and their consumers. Trouble was they did not understand the fact that these GM crops have much better disease and bug resistance than conventional crops. Customers too feared the concept as they were unaware of the advantages.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Then there is the fact that people think that if you change the intrinsic characteristics of an organism it is bad and that it will affect the future gene pool . The concept is true, let’s say for plastic surgery where an unattractive person can change his/her characteristics and attract a suitable mate. The trouble arises because of genes. Their offspring will not have the cosmetic changes as they have not been incorporated in the genes.

In genetically modified products they change the genes for the better so that they can survive and also their future generations. DNA changes over a long period of time help us humans to evolve from our ancestors. So genetic engineering is not bad.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    It IS ethical for sure. The scientists in the field transgenics are now developing the organisms with the novel traits which aren't normally found in the naturals. For example, scientists have now developed the potatoes that are protein rich and the rice, also known as golden rice, is really very rich in Vitamin A.
    There is an interesting thing, which i'd like to share, generated using transgenics known as "Glowing plant project" (Sounds interesting doesn't it ? πŸ˜‰) where a gene is incorporated from a firefly to a houseplant and thus making it display a soft illumination in the dark. Now, that is really unbeatable 😁.
    There is something known as biosteel that has superior strength developed using transgenics. In this case, a gene is taken from a silk spinning spider and merged with the genome of a got's egg before fertilization. Now after some days when this goat is milked, the milk has the silk protein which is found in the spider. This biosteel is also used for making bulletproof vests.
    Thus, the genetic engineering or the "transgenics" is surely ethical as it does no harm but benefits the mankind. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€ β˜•
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Changing Genetics of anything is not easy and not recommended all the time. In 1999 in Britain scientist found that when rats ate genetically modified potatoes the after effects were horrible.

The baby rats grew with relatively much small brain and heart and much bigger glands..tough on them, right?

Similarly Genetic Engineering can cause other issues as well.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Genetic Engineering is not only about the crops and agriculture. It is for the human being as well.

Consider a situation, scientist played all their experiment to create an very immune rat (as mostly they perform genetic experiments on rats). If they perform the same experiment to have a test tube baby and that will have some abnormality, who will feed or take care of that baby?

Isn't the creation of that baby is un-ethical?
  • Dhevishathya Rajaram
    Dhevishathya Rajaram
    Genetical modification is ethical if it is properly used...Genetical engineering is used to produce new foods and medicines and to boost positive traits...but it may hamper nutritional value...All in all, it becomes very difficult to tell what will happen in the future. Perhaps as the world grows in technology we will focus more on some new technology like genetic engineering...πŸ˜€
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Anil Jain
    Changing Genetics of anything is not easy and not recommended all the time. In 1999 in Britain scientist found that when rats ate genetically modified potatoes the after effects were horrible.

The baby rats grew with relatively much small brain and heart and much bigger glands..tough on them, right?

Yes it surely can have other issues, but you can't just see the dark side. Many people would have died deciding what is the right food to eat (talking about the cave men) that didn't mean that people will die in future(from their perspective). However, this branch of science is still under development. πŸ˜€
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Hey folks, IΓ’€™m not in favor of Genetic Engineering. Any technology that offers something good, has negative impacts linked to it also. As we know, Genes are actually considered as Γ’€œblueprintΓ’€ which are passed on from one generation to another generation as they contain special proteins which are specific to the form of life.

So, as I've previously mentioned, we always have risks involved with anything. So, first it is our sole responsibility to analyze risks, than advantages, because that are what will give you a better result.

Genetic Engineering -- Reality => You're messing up with natural things.
    I know you won't agree with me, want proof?

Well, you say Genetic developed crops are rich in Vitamin A, #-Link-Snipped-#, well buddy, I'm astonished ! How can you neglect the fact that has been already made in alarmist terms about the health risks involved.
    The Genetically Engineered Crops in many cases have lead to tremendous problems.

Not only this, but they lead to Environment problems as well. The GE crop is found to be toxic to wildlife. Sure enough, can cause much harm, when we talk to save tigers and other endangered species.

Moreover, the genetic research has already caused 37 deaths and about 1,500 people paralysed. Moreover, more than 5,000 people are already suffering from temporary disabilities, all thanks to your favorite "Genetic Engineering", which caused "Tryptophan", a syndrome.

A more important concern is about cloning. Talking about the first one, cloning Dolly in 1996.
    Died in 2003. So, what you would say about this?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Genetic Engineering aims to bring super breeds of living beings.

For an example from Agricultural field, The act of modification of the naturally selected food crops may actually disturb the delicate balance of biodiversity which exists in nature and that can imbalance the entire eco-system.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Moreover, adding to this, the Genetically Engineered Organisms have would breed with natural ones. This can be really dangerous, and people are still not able to prove that it's really safe.

Safe in the sense to whole environment.

Next, you said, we have Genetically Engineered crops, but one more problem is there, the gene structure of all of them would be common. Thus if a virus/fungus etc attacks them, yes, you got it right!
    There is a greater possibility of a widespread crop failure !

Fare enough! It could easily cause starvation. Hence when on one hand you were about to make something good, you've caused 10000X harm.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Yes, you are talking about the Pusztai Affair.

I had to look that up because I was unaware of that. The problem with his study was that it was quite controversial in nature. Plus use common sense here, general crops like tomatoes have genes so if they have not caused any harm to us in years why will an addition to the DNA which was meant for repelling pests manage to cause harm to us.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Anil Jain
    For an example from Agricultural field, The act of modification of the naturally selected food crops may actually disturb the delicate balance of biodiversity which exists in nature and that can imbalance the entire eco-system.
    You are right in this case. I can think of BT cotton in India here. The BT cotton was designed in such a way that it managed to cause permanent damage to the pest that was affecting the cotton crop. This was quite unethical. Killing an entire species just to save crops.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    My two cents: Genetic Engineering is a field that has to compulsarily have a lot of limitations for field of use. Ofcourse there are many useful fields - not denying those! Stem cell banking is one very useful feature of this branch which can treat illness otherwise incurable. The point to stress is the ethical part - as long as it is used for benefit of mankind (and not for ambitious experimental purposes like making rice glow at night,)it is ethical!
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    Yes ut is. We certainly have drawbacks of GE, as many have said about crops and other things. But we cannot neglect the fact that we indeed are producing something better than previous variety so all that is needed is better engineered products. Similar things were said about lot of other inventions but today they are used widely. Think what would have happened if we had the same discussion about invention of radium. It is dangerous but it is used widely. So similar control is required with GE.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    When it comes to all the research that has been done to check if genetically modified foods are good or bad are also quite sketchy. But majority of the researchers have the opinion that it does not cause any harm.

Sure you might think that there are big corporations who are indulging in some conspiracy or the other hiding facts but we atleast in India cannot do anything about it. The vegetables you buy, you can never be sure if that was a GM one or not. Sure in some countries it is mandatory to mark the produce but in India we do not have these rules.

Think about the farmers too, with the help of GM crops they are getting better produce without using harmful pesticides. It’s a known fact that pesticides in food are very harmful but we do not have any definite conclusions if GM crops are bad or not.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, I may agree with you, that it can be good, but at the same time, I do not agree fully with you. Because this can cause much more harm than good, as I already stated.

Perfectionist, sometimes get so obsessed with their studies that they often go in the wrong direction.
    GE can be abused by many such people who want to "Design" their babies obviously by cloning.

Talking more about cloning, Dolly was a sheep who was first cloned in 1996 as I previously mentioned. It died in 2003. It is said that you need to test really a huge number of units. Agree.
    But how about you test them, reach your goal in say about 2070. Till then you would surely have sacrificed a million Dollies just for getting ONE!
    Is it good? #-Link-Snipped-# , is it what you want?

Certainly not. I personally would not support it for sure.

Also, the main aim with cloning is to clone humans. I personally do not see any benefit in this. Moreover, cloning humans, would require a better idea and perspective. You clone a human say about a million times. Happy?

But get your facts straight!
    It can cause a widespread havoc with ethical issues.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Generation of Super breeds, how dangerous that is for the entire universe?

Take an example, "Taking an example from some Hollywood flicks"
    Spider man, Hulk all are the example of the generically modified species; those were movies and as director had created a super hero, they did not show the disastrous side of it. If a gene structure of a human being will be modified it can be disastrous as well. How much? NO ONE KNOWS.

Also, misusing genetic technology, in the production of biological warfare or weapons may have major disadvantage
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    RVignesh
    Yes ut is. We certainly have drawbacks of GE, as many have said about crops and other things. But we cannot neglect the fact that we indeed are producing something better than previous variety so all that is needed is better engineered products. Similar things were said about lot of other inventions but today they are used widely. Think what would have happened if we had the same discussion about invention of radium. It is dangerous but it is used widely. So similar control is required with GE.
    Well, buddy, I already told you how it can adverse effect, and you cannot just rush to anything when you see just the positive aspects ! Right ?

For instance, let's say you need to buy a phone, you would not just see all the good features, but would read the reviews and see the negative impacts as well. The fact here is you would analyse so much for a 10-15k phone (say), but you're not ready to analyze something which can turn the future upside down, and "may" cause widespread destruction.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Anil Jain
    Take an example, "Taking an example from some Hollywood flicks"
    Spider man, Hulk all are the example of the generically modified species; those were movies and as director had created a super hero, they did not show the disastrous side of it. If a gene structure of a human being will be modified it can be disastrous as well. How much? NO ONE KNOWS.
    Now that is called fiction for a reason because it is not real. If there was some way to improve the human race someone must have done it by now. Changing human genes is not an easy and not certainly a quick task. Plus there are many regulatory authorities who acting as watch dogs preventing these things.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    That's true #-Link-Snipped-# Sir. But it is still an under developed stream. And still many discoveries, debates, experiments are being done (obviously on animals). The people or the environment is at risk, but sire we need to appreciate the effort. Talking about dolly, that was the FIRST clone made, after that many dollies were created who lived for about 14-15 years (that clearly is an upgrade πŸ˜‰). The life expectancy of a natural sheep is around 20-23 years and the researchers have reached 15 years of sheep life. Give them time, and I think these dudes can help the world re-examine the viability of cloning. πŸ˜€
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Official Moderation:
    With the growing need and population in the developing countries like India we need a technology to supply faster and better crops with nutrition.

Is that possible without Genetically modified crops?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Ok, one more thing, people would "Design" their child, as #-Link-Snipped-# said, modifications that like of HULK and others can cause destruction as well.

Adding more to this, there are always big players in society. You say your crops are resistant to this and that, ok fine, but if the "big players" would patent that, which they would surely do, if the world goes in this way, you can yourself imagine the rest.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Rajni Jain
    Official Moderation:
    With the growing need and population in the developing countries like India we need a technology to supply faster and better crops with nutrition.

The answer is no.
    We can use organic fertilizers to save the existing crop but we can never use any conventional method to increase the production of crops.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Vardhan
    That's true #-Link-Snipped-# Sir. But it is still an under developed stream. And still many discoveries, debates, experiments are being done (obviously on animals). The people or the environment is at risk, but sire we need to appreciate the effort. Talking about dolly, that was the FIRST clone made, after that many dollies were created who lived for about 14-15 years (that clearly is an upgrade πŸ˜‰). The life expectancy of a natural sheep is around 20-23 years and the researchers have reached 15 years of sheep life. Give them time, and I think these dudes can help the world re-examine the viability of cloning. πŸ˜€
    Yes buddy, agree. But I previously also mentioned, how would you be able to use the onee Dolly you would create after sacrificing a million of them.

The fact here is that, sometimes people become so crazy and blind, that they land up with something disastrous.

Obviously I'm not saying that it is a BAD thing or something, but I'm just saying that you need to analyze the negative impacts too. They are more than important when compared to anything else, because they are the "real deciding factors" and a true indicator of whether you should go on with a certain thing.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The trouble with genetic engineering as I stated earlier was that we are still not perfectly aware of it. Most of us have used words like "If" to make our points. The trouble is we do not know to how extent this can go so deciding in favour or against is really not possible right now.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Rajni Jain
    Official Moderation:

Well, I already mentioned, saying it once again, what will be the use of your GE crops, when they can be all attacked by a virus/bacteria, and then ultimately can cause up starvation and death.

Talking about India, and the corruption level, the amount of crops generated, are actually not supplied. Only a fraction of it is actually supplied to feed the country, rest all is stored by the big players to earn profits and cause inflation.

So, GE crops may be good, but again, a very high risk is involved with them. Why would someone like to eat something that could cause them paralyzed, or even cause death?

He would like to die without eating it for sure.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Hey folks, IΓ’€™m not in favor of Genetic Engineering. Any technology that offers something good, has negative impacts linked to it also. As we know, Genes are actually considered as Γ’€œblueprintΓ’€ which are passed on from one generation to another generation as they contain special proteins which are specific to the form of life.

So, as I've previously mentioned, we always have risks involved with anything. So, first it is our sole responsibility to analyze risks, than advantages, because that are what will give you a better result.

Well, you say Genetic developed crops are rich in Vitamin A, #-Link-Snipped-#, well buddy, I'm astonished ! How can you neglect the fact that has been already made in alarmist terms about the health risks involved.
    The Genetically Engineered Crops in many cases have lead to tremendous problems.

Not only this, but they lead to Environment problems as well. The GE crop is found to be toxic to wildlife. Sure enough, can cause much harm, when we talk to save tigers and other endangered species.

Moreover, the genetic research has already caused 37 deaths and about 1,500 people paralysed. Moreover, more than 5,000 people are already suffering from temporary disabilities, all thanks to your favorite "Genetic Engineering", which caused "Tryptophan", a syndrome.

A more important concern is about cloning. Talking about the first one, cloning Dolly in 1996.
    Talking about the health risk factor the tobacco and alcohol packs have it all over, but we know what happens. And one more thing about the risk, we all know about ENO (the drink powder/liquid) if we cough (by mistake of course) while having it, we won't stop and ultimately die. But, we still take it right sire ?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The trouble with genetic engineering as I stated earlier was that we are still not perfectly aware of it. Most of us have used words like "If" to make our points. The trouble is we do not know to how extent this can go so deciding in favour or against is really not possible right now.
    Sir, but it is equally important to analyze the negative impacts. The people in favor of this also say "if", because the scenario is still not clear.

We are just imagining blindly about all the good stuff, neglecting the risks involved.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Generation of GM crops is possible, and it will be faster as well, however it is yet to verified that what would be the long term after effects of these genetically modified crops?

Another famous Genetic Scientist Dr Stanley Ewen, raised the concern that food and water contaminated with genetically engineered material could increase the growth of malignant tumors upon contact with humans.

Other studies proved a link between engineered food and cancer; so are we going in a positive direction with GM food?

Secondly, when we are saying about developing countries, take an example of golden rice which is genetically modified and have greater amount of Vitamin 'A', but the poor side of it is develop countries and big players had mastered in this art and poorer are becoming more poor by just buying it from the rich folks.

Isn't it indicating towards something wrong?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Vardhan
    Talking about the health risk factor the tobacco and alcohol packs have it all over, but we know what happens. And one more thing about the risk, we all know about ENO (the drink powder/liquid) if we cough (by mistake of course) while having it, we won't stop and ultimately die. But, we still take it right sire ?
    Tobacco and Alcohol/Drugs have it all over.
    Agree. But I don't consume them, because I'm good in analyzing that they are doing more bad than good.

Before saying anything more on this, if drugs are sufficient to cause destruction, then why should we run to GE, to cause destruction at astronomical rates?

Yeah, probably that would be a good reason. Period.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Official Moderation: Last 20 minutes left.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yes buddy, agree. But I previously also mentioned, how would you be able to use the onee Dolly you would create after sacrificing a million of them.
    That is all a part of research. Millions of rats and guinea pigs are sacrificed to test life saving drugs. Humans are also a part of the process. Drugs have to go through clinical trials, i.e. on humans before they are passed. Dolly was just a concept study #-Link-Snipped-# said.

Sanyam Khurana
    Sir, but it is equally important to analyze the negative impacts. The people in favor of this also say "if", because the scenario is still not clear.

We are just imagining blindly about all the good stuff, neglecting the risks involved.
    Please do not call me sir. Just like Biggie likes to say I too haven't been knighted yet. πŸ˜‰
    Yes we can theoretically make assumptions about this matter and can find varied opinions but the human mind always tries to find the sliver lining. It also knows the repercussions of its acts, so if someone tries to do something horrible with this technology there shall be two who try to stop it.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana

The fact here is that, sometimes people become so crazy and blind, that they land up with something disastrous.

Obviously I'm not saying that it is a BAD thing or something, but I'm just saying that you need to analyze the negative impacts too. They are more than important when compared to anything else, because they are the "real deciding factors" and a true indicator of whether you should go on with a certain thing.
    Sire, I seriously don't think that it would take THAT long but some will die << agree to this. Risk needs to be acquired to gain something revolutionary. Hope you agree to this last sentence πŸ˜€)). And if we get to talk about the people, we don't even know that from where the food, that we eat, comes, I mean whether it is natural, hybrid, cold stored or real fresh.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    How I see it is:

Genetic Engineering in Agricultural: Disturbing the complete ECO System. Take an example; Scientist has claimed to have better crop say potato or tomato or any other vegetable. They can certainly attempt to create a better output. However, what about other factors?

There would be virus, insects, earth soil, birds, that were dependent on naturally available crops and were taking inputs from them and were giving outputs to something else. Wouldn't that species be impacted because of the change and would impact the new inline in the eco system chain?

Do you think Genetic Engineering take care of the complete Eco-System while experimenting on some super breed?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    That is all a part of research. Millions of rats and guinea pigs are sacrificed to test life saving drugs. Humans are also a part of the process. Drugs have to go through clinical trials, i.e. on humans before they are passed. Dolly was just a concept study #-Link-Snipped-# said.

Please do not call me sir. Just like Biggie likes to say I too haven't been knighted yet. πŸ˜‰
    Yes we can theoretically make assumptions about this matter and can find varied opinions but the human mind always tries to find the sliver lining. It also knows the repercussions of its acts, so if someone tries to do something horrible with this technology there shall be two who try to stop it.
    Agree that it was just a concept, but we certainly have many species we place in endangered section, protecting them would mean obviously at one point you try tests on them. Then again, if it goes wrong, you can yourself imagine the scenario.

Anand Vardhan
    Sire, I seriously don't think that it would take THAT long but some will die << agree to this. Risk needs to be acquired to gain something revolutionary. Hope you agree to this last sentence πŸ˜€)). And if we get to talk about the people, we don't even know that from where the food, that we eat, comes, I mean whether it is natural, hybrid, cold stored or real fresh.
    Buddy, I agree to gain something revolutionary, you you need to take risks. But these risks are often the calculated ones.

For instance, you won't take a debt of say 10 lakhs, thinking that your business would be successful. So, you would calculate the risks involved and then go further if it's really feasible. Right?

Similarly, every technology has positive and negative impacts. We need to clearly analyze both sides before moving on further with it. I hope you got my point. πŸ˜€

And so many people already paralyzed, so many dead. All because of the GE crops, then what's the whole use sacrificing so much.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Tobacco and Alcohol/Drugs have it all over.
    Agree. But I don't consume them, because I'm good in analyzing that they are doing more bad than good.

Before saying anything more on this, if drugs are sufficient to cause destruction, then why should we run to GE, to cause destruction at astronomical rates?

Yeah, probably that would be a good reason. Period.
    You don't consume, okay but that doesn't mean no one does. The talk here is about the people.
    The destruction caused by such drugs can be controlled by the people themselves. But in the case of these hybrids, not only the crops are involved. As i mentioned earlier, there are other uses of transgenics (my favourite according to you πŸ˜‰) as well like the glowing plants ? They live a decent life.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Official Moderation: Awesome points and counter points till now.

Just wanted to remind you that time is fast approaching (only 9 minutes left) and you all would like to summarize the discussion before it will finish.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Anil Jain
    Do you think Genetic Engineering take care of the complete Eco-System while experimenting on some super breed?
    yes we have discussed that in the BT cotton topic. and as for I know that is just one case. It does sound alarm bells but is the matter that disconcerting? We might never know until its too late.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Agree that it was just a concept, but we certainly have many species we place in endangered section, protecting them would mean obviously at one point you try tests on them. Then again, if it goes wrong, you can yourself imagine the scenario.

Buddy, I agree to gain something revolutionary, you you need to take risks. But these risks are often the calculated ones.

For instance, you won't take a debt of say 10 lakhs, thinking that your business would be successful. So, you would calculate the risks involved and then go further if it's really feasible. Right?

Similarly, every technology has positive and negative impacts. We need to clearly analyze both sides before moving on further with it. I hope you got my point. πŸ˜€

And so many people already paralyzed, so many dead. All because of the GE crops, then what's the whole use sacrificing so much.
    But we can take a debt of 2 lakhs instead right ?
    And can we get over crops please ? Because transgenics is a lot more than that.

P.S. I like your manipulative language Sire. πŸ˜€πŸ˜‰
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sorry I am late.
    I support genetic Engineering because of the following facts

1) All humans were born in the same way but some of them experience a bad life due to the genetic problems. Hence with the entry of Genetic Engineering, they can diagnose the problem causing genes and try to find the right solution for it.
    2) Genetically modified DNA can lead to healthy mankind.
    3) Some of the Generation would have been affected because they pass on the disease to theforecoming generations so that even a baby which had done nothing wrong may be affected by thediesease .For instance: A baby may be affected by Sugar or any kind of disease which was passed on to the child from parents. A evolution of genetic engineering would pave way to the doctors to cure it atleast for the next generation. THey can diagnose the baby genes and find a solution.
    4) Scientists can learn the nature of extincted living beings.
    5) I remember a thread where we had discussed about genes deciding the nature of a human being and judgement must be made with considerations of it but with the help of genetic engineering we may find a permanent way to modify all genes to make us more GOOD.

Yes Genetic engineering is Ethical .

We should allow and give more space for the genetic engineering.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Vardhan
    You don't consume, okay but that doesn't mean no one does. The talk here is about the people.
    The destruction caused by such drugs can be controlled by the people themselves. But in the case of these hybrids, not only the crops are involved. As i mentioned earlier, there are other uses of transgenics (my favourite according to you πŸ˜‰) as well like the glowing plants ? They live a decent life.
    Well, that's what I wanted to hear.

I don't consume, and many people like me don't consume, but there's a negative impact to this, as on other hand, many other consumes.

So, the drugs were actually made as medicine to cure people, how human has used it? In just the opposite way.

And that's what I needed to prove here, thanks to you for taking this step.

Next, the GE crops may be helpful, I agree, but at the same time, they can be more dangerous than anything else. Causing people paralyzed and causing various diseases is what they offer as I've seen and researched.

Obviously they are making progress, but at the same time, we are loosing many precious lives too.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Just like all the things in the planet its too has upsides and downsides. Its us who can decide where we want to go.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, that's what I wanted to hear.

I don't consume, and many people like me don't consume, but there's a negative impact to this, as on other hand, many other consumes.

So, the drugs were actually made as medicine to cure people, how human has used it? In just the opposite way.

And that's what I needed to prove here, thanks to you for taking this step.

Next, the GE crops may be helpful, I agree, but at the same time, they can be more dangerous than anything else. Causing people paralyzed and causing various diseases is what they offer.
    Please don't think I backed off. 😁 I said that because you are were not ready to take the crop thing the positive way. πŸ˜›
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I would like to end it saying that though we see some positives out of Genetic Engineering, still majorly It's a BIG NO and have the ethical implications as well.

Few points to strengthening my summary are:

Genetically super breed food can create super-creatures and it is not a joke!
    These super-organisms can't be controlled and can definitely create problems in managing their numbers and to future production.

It is that part of science which is Ir-reversible or in another term Genetically modified products (Agro or living being) cannot be recalled. There are harmful effects on the environment and human health that are an inevitable outcome to the fast pace development of genetic engineering.

Also, if you see the religious side of it all the religions have shown a big NO to play with the genetic things are created naturally.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Summary :

There are positive and negative impacts with every technology.

As of now, there are many risks involved. Like with crops, they are causing people paralyzed, even causing death.
    Causing environmental issues.

Various other things like cloning, are still in underdevelopment stage, and we need to analyze the bad impacts first.
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Just like all the things in the planet its too has upsides and downsides. Its us who can decide where we want to go.
    See you got my point πŸ˜€

Anand Vardhan
    Please don't think I backed off. 😁 I said that because you are were not ready to take the crop thing the positive way. πŸ˜›
    Well, I'm just taking both positive and negative impacts.

I just like to analyze the negatives first, to have a better idea of the current scenario and the future perspective.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Besides crops, the transgenics or the genetic engineering, can surely bring about the revolution, thus making aor lives faster, easier, smoother and more beautifel. It's about the people how they take it. πŸ˜€ (And of course on the scientists that how they make it. 😁)
    Thank You.πŸ˜€
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Official Moderation:

It's 8:30 PM, and we are concluding the debate.

We have some awesome points. Points added after this will not be considered for evaluation.

However keep the ball rolling and pour in your comments.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anil Jain
    I would like to end it saying that though we see some positives out of Genetic Engineering, still majorly It's a BIG NO and have the ethical implications as well.

Few points to strengthening my summary are:

Genetically super breed food can create super-creatures and it is not a joke!
    These super-organisms can't be controlled and can definitely create problems in managing their numbers and to future production.

It is that part of science which is Ir-reversible or in another term Genetically modified products (Agro or living being) cannot be recalled. There are harmful effects on the environment and human health that are an inevitable outcome to the fast pace development of genetic engineering.

Also, if you see the religious side of it all the religions have shown a big NO to play with the genetic things are created naturally.
    Strongly support your points. Besides this, rest my points are sufficient to prove everything.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Summary :

There are positive and negative impacts with every technology.

As of now, there are many risks involved. Like with crops, they are causing people paralyzed, even causing death.
    Causing environmental issues.

Various other things like cloning, are still in underdevelopment stage, and we need to analyze the bad impacts first.

See you got my point πŸ˜€

Well, I'm just taking both positive and negative impacts.

I just like to analyze the negatives first, to have a better idea of the current scenario and the future perspective.
    Still stuck to the diseases ? Think over it. Of course they are a deciding factor but they aren't the only deciding thing, transgenics can do a lot many miracles πŸ˜€. Anyways, it was pleasure interacting with you.πŸ˜€
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Rajni Jain
    Official Moderation:

It's 8:30 PM, and we are concluding the debate.

We have some awesome points. Points added after this will not be considered for evaluation.

However keep the ball rolling and pour in your comments.
    Thank you mam πŸ˜€
    Anil Jain

Yes the end results are horrible but note that it was a early stage of genetic engineering . So please trust them and give them space and time to learn from mistakes with some precautionary steps.
    Sanyam Khurana

Yes i agree that this Engineering had eaten human lives and affected the human life but i may say that we had preadapted the GE crops. We should have analyzed it more and researched more on its consequences. We cant just throw away a future life saving technology into trash without unveiling its true power.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Vardhan
    Still stuck to the diseases ? Think over it. Of course they are a deciding factor but they aren't the only deciding thing, transgenics can do a lot many miracles πŸ˜€. Anyways, it was pleasure interacting with you.πŸ˜€
    Still you're not getting my point bud.

I'm not stuck to anything, but I would just like to reflect some negative impacts so as to have a clear-cut idea.

I'm not saying that GE is definitely bad. Neither is any other tech.
    But it's our sole responsibility to analyze both the positive and negative impacts of anything.

Just this ^^ πŸ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Always organic crops made naturally prove to be much better and healthier than genetically varied ones.

Genetics also steps in the way of evolution. Survival of the fittest is not just a term - the fittest have to come out naturally - thats when it becomes a human thing!

P.S.: Got some new participation today, but come on people we need more heads here.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes i agree that this Engineering had eaten human lives and affected the human life but i may say that we had preadapted the GE crops. We should have analyzed it more and researched more on its consequences. We cant just throw away a future life saving technology into trash without unveiling its true power.
    Agree. But we can't just go on with it blindly, right?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Remember Dr.Connors in spiderman. How great it would be if an experiment which he tried to pull comes to reality minus the fiction shown in the movie/cartoon. You can actually grow up the limbs and legs severed in accident or birth defects. Everything has to start somewhere. What we see as a mature thing today was an hazardous experiment at some time. Not only to genetic engineering, I support everything which has a future prospect of making the society a better place.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Still you're not getting my point bud.

I'm not stuck to anything, but I would just like to reflect some negative impacts so as to have a clear-cut idea.

I'm not saying that GE is definitely bad. Neither is any other tech.
    But it's our sole responsibility to analyze both the positive and negative impacts of anything.

Just this ^^ πŸ˜€
    Now, that's sporty. πŸ˜€
    It sure is. But, if it profits, we may take risks.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Vardhan
    Now, that's sporty. πŸ˜€
    It sure is. But, if it profits, we may take risks.
    Yeah, adding to this, only if it's really feasible πŸ˜€

PS: Happy you got my point πŸ˜€
    Sanyam Khurana
    Agree. But we can't just go on with it blindly, right?
    Yes thats what we are debating here. We engineers should know the true responsibility to build a safer and healthier future. If engineers doesn't understand the difficulties, problems in implementing, etc how can a common man understands a new technology. We should make sure that we are on right track and educate the people about its pros and cons.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yeah, adding to this, only if it's really feasible πŸ˜€

PS: Happy you got my point πŸ˜€
    Yaa I did. Hope you did too. πŸ˜›
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    #-Link-Snipped-# Was hoping to see you around sir, but I didn't. β˜•
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes thats what we are debating here. We engineers should know the true responsibility to build a safer and healthier future. If engineers doesn't understand the difficulties, problems in implementing, etc how can a common man understands a new technology. We should make sure that we are on right track and educate the people about its pros and cons.
    Awesome! πŸ˜€

But at this time, I feel GE is not proving so much good, may be in future we can have good. But then it's just a "may be". On the other hand, we may get all negative impacts, such as people doing patent to nutritious crops, people designing babies who get hazardous, GE organisms breeding with natural ones etc. so it can be "may be" very bad.

The whole debate is just on "May Be" and "If"

Past experiences have shown some negative impacts as well as positive too. Nothing is sure at particularly this point of time. We can carry this debate on for say to 2050, and wait till we get some rock-solid proofs of GE being friend or foe. πŸ˜€

But then I also fear of consequences.
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, buddy, I already told you how it can adverse effect, and you cannot just rush to anything when you see just the positive aspects ! Right ?

For instance, let's say you need to buy a phone, you would not just see all the good features, but would read the reviews and see the negative impacts as well. The fact here is you would analyse so much for a 10-15k phone (say), but you're not ready to analyze something which can turn the future upside down, and "may" cause widespread destruction.
    Two things-
    Tell me a new technology that does not require investment and time.
    The second mobile phone thing, the initial set that is launched in market is costly as well as have quite some drawbacks, but eventually modifications are made and quality is improved and price reduced. So i guess same thing applies here also.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sorry Couldn't participate

My two cents: You guys spoke about why GE and Why not GE? But we never ventured What otherwise to GE?

Initially why did we go to GE? We waned a better breed of things that could handle adversity.

Right now GE is not even 50 years of age. When any engineering field is not ripe enough to be censured I don't think we can finalise and pass a verdict that it is not for the betterment of the people.

Giving it a few moment will be a little bit of an eye opener to all of us.

If we all conclude on a particular result we must also be in a position to find out an alternative that can root out the existing crisis for which we went to GE.

PS: I thought this was debate open for views most of the views here are based on personal conclusions. Sorry
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    RVignesh
    Two things-
    Tell me a new technology that does not require investment and time.
    The second mobile phone thing, the initial set that is launched in market is costly as well as have quite some drawbacks, but eventually modifications are made and quality is improved and price reduced. So i guess same thing applies here also.
    I agree every Technology needs time for development.
    But it is a fact, that we're risking human life here in this particular technology, and that was my whole point.

I know GE is good in certain ways, yet we cannot ignore the negative aspects of it.

Right now, I know it's difficult to say anything about this, but to me, it looks like rather than sacrificing "lives" and risking human evolution would not be good.

Of course, I may be wrong, or you may be wrong, anything can happen.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# mam, who's the winner?
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    yeah..who is it ?? 😘😘
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# mam, who's the winner?
    Winner will be announced by tomorrow noon.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thing made me loose today's debate. Addicted to this. 😁 Check it out!! https://www.whatsyourexcuse.co
We want to know whether anyone of you is noticing issues with Google Chrome (37) running on Windows - that prevent the quick reply box from loading at the bottom...
University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory have joined hands to initiate the "Array of Things" project in the city of Chicago in which they plan to install data collection...
Apple announced the cheaper versions of the popular desktop lineup 'iMac'. The 21" iMac was announced about $200 cheaper. The new price of the iMac (June 2014) is $1099 (21")...
Can you think of a material that is lighter than air; so light that it can be called 'frozen smoke', but 10,000 more stronger than aerogel? Well, the researchers at...