OnePlus Two Invites | Launch | Specs | Price and Everything That Matters

If you haven't heard of the Chinese company 'OnePlus', please hand over your 'geek' badge to us. OnePlus is a smartphone company that made the boldest headlines as 'flagship killer' with their first ever phone - the OnePlus One. It's been over 15 months since the One was released and the company's now getting ready for the launch of OnePlus Two and it calls it the 2016 Flagship Killer. Did you note that? They're calling it the Flagship Killer 2016, not 2015! The company is so confident that their phone will kick all the smartphones to be launched next year. Is that all hype? Will OnePlus actually deliver what it says? We'll see tomorrow.

The OnePlus Two Launch:

Tomorrow is the day OnePlus team will reveal the second phone, the OnePlus Two. The company is leaving no stone unturned to get everyone's attention and launching the phone through a virtual reality event. The company has already distributed specially designed VR headsets aka OnePlus Cardboard (#-Link-Snipped-#). I've already received one, have posted a The OnePlus Cardboard Review You've Been Waiting For and will witness the phone launch in VR tomorrow at about 7:30 AM, Indian Standard Time.

OnePlus-Two-Invite-Price-Specs

Those of you who already have the cardboard should download the #-Link-Snipped-# from Google Play Store. The app will automatically start broadcasting the 360 degree virtual reality video stream tomorrow morning. Of course we'll continue this discussion in real time for all of you. Stay tuned for updates.

OnePlus Two Specs : All We Know:

Ever since the launch of the first phone, OnePlus has been boasting their hardware and that raised the expectations from the OnePlus Two. All we know for sure is that the OnePlus Two will have the following specs:-
Now, one thing to note that the powerful hardware together alone may not deliver the truly astonishing performance. The leaked benchmark tests have put the OnePlus Two ahead of many phones, but behind the mighty Samsung Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9. Of course, nothing is final because the leak could have been from the prototype and the final version may actually beat all the flagships; but I'd not be on it. The company's keeping lips tight about the important information like the display size, resolution, battery, extra storage etc.

There have been several concerns about the CPU. Snapdragon 810 has been known to cause heating issues and several people are very skeptical about OnePlus' implementation. OnePlus said that they developed a special thermal gel to take care of the heat dissipation and we'll know more about it tomorrow. The inclusion of USB Type C comes as a nice surprise because that makes the OnePlus Two the first ever phone in the industry to have it. Apple does include USB Type C in their latest Macbook, but the iPhone is yet to see it.

Of course, 4GB LPDDR4 RAM would definitely help the things move faster; but the experience would be defined by the operating system the OnePlus Two will ship with. I'm not sure if their engineering team will put OnePlus Releases Oxygen OS Based On Android Lollipop, Now Available For Download or OnePlus & Cyanogenmod OTA Update Mystry Solved on the phone, but I'd rather guess it'll be the former. Fingerprint sensors aren't new and I personally would like to see a new and innovative implementation of it. If OnePlus simply integrates into the home button like iPhone or S6, it'd not classify as a 2016 flagship killer, IMHO.

Here's OnePlus Two Leaked Antutu Benchmark Test Video -

- YouTube

OnePlus Two Invites

If I remember correctly, the 'invites' system to offer access to the product was first popularised by Google for Gmail. OnePlus has announced that just like you needed to be lucky to get an invite to buy OnePlus One, the OnePlus Two will have its own invite system. The invite system basically says that it won't be easy to buy the phone - which means those who get to buy it, will show off their phones with an added pride. OnePlus founder Carl Pei said that the new invite system will be a lot better than the earlier one.

The official reason for introducing the invite system is that the company operates on razor thin profits and cannot hold inventory. However, given the success of the OnePlus One, the production team is now readying 30-50 times the inventory compared to last year.

3 Ways To Get OnePlus Two Invite -

The first and the most recommended way is to register your email address in the invite list. To do so, head over to #-Link-Snipped-# , scroll down, type your email ID in the invite box and press 'Count me in'. As of writing this post, the count stands at 198,875; and is growing really fast. If you are a potential customer for OnePlus One, get into the queue as soon as you can.

The second method is to have a trusted friend who's bought the OnePlus Two. If your friend shares an invite with you, you must make your purchase within 24 hours or else, it expires. If your invite expires, you can't get it back; and that's how 'brutal' the system is. If you got an invite invite, you better book your phone.

The third way is to have enough spare time that you can spend on OnePlus forums, contests and newsletters. OnePlus will keep sharing the invites through various mediums and you will have to be extremely lucky to get your invite.

Finally, The OnePlus Two Price

OnePlus has confirmed that the price of their phone will be less than $450, which at the current conversion rate stands at about Rs. 29,000. With taxes; I'd expect OnePlus Two hitting India for a price tag of about 29,999 OR Rs. 24,999. OnePlus one has surprised the customers in the past with their pricing strategy. Of course it makes no sense to keep guessing the price as we're just a few hours away from the official launch of the phone.

I promise to keep this discussion updated with up to date information about the phone. If you have invites, do share them with our fellow engineers. If you have anything to say about the phone, their invites system, pricing strategy or anything; you are in the right place.

Update: Oneplus Two Prices are out:

1. 16GB Will Cost $329
2. 64GB Will Cost $389

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The VR launch for oneplus two is now live. Checking it out. Will post the details as soon as they reveal them.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Wondering if these leaked photos are the real thing.
    oneplus.2
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright, I'm not very impressed by the VR launch.

Points to consider:

1. It's powered by Oxygen OS
    2. It's got 5.5" 1080p FULL HD display (Flagship killer?)
    3. Swappable Covers
    4. Dedicated Alert Slider - a physical button on the slide that lets you choose the notifications.
    5. There's a 13MP shooter on the back
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep that's the phone. The fingerprint sensor is still in the home button.

The phone is launching on August 11

They did not reveal the price; maybe I missed out on something. I however think the phone's going to cost just as much as the OnePlus One.

There wasn't anything new apart from the display and the OS.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's the product launch video, it's locked video so can't embed it here-

OnePlus 2 - 2016 Flagship Killer - YouTube
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So, is it worth all the hype?
    I see that there already are close to 320,000 people on the waiting list of OnePlus 2 invites.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My thoughts after checking out the VR launch of the OnePlus Two -

1. The launch did not reveal anything new that'd blow our minds. The presenters were focused on repeating that the phone's got the 'best hardware', 'best camera', 'best user experience' - and none of it is something that the existing phones can't do.

2. The camera is a 13MP shooter with improved low light performance. We'll have to see how it actually performs. At present, the Samsung S6 still blows the competition.

3. They, for some strange reason, did not reveal the price. Carl Pei did FLASH a link to get invties. If you did manage to get the actual link; please share it with our fellow people.

4. In the overall presentation, it looked like the presenters lacked the content. There wasn't anything that'd make me want to 'ditch' my existing smartphone and madly wait for the OnePlus Two.

5. All that said, if you are out in the market looking for a new phone - the OnePlus Two is definitely a phone you should consider. It offers nice specs for a price, I believe should be just about the same as OnePlus One.

Do share your own thoughts.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    After reading that, I am guessing may be those who for some reason could not get their hands on OnePlus One, must be looking forward to OnePlus two. There's no other reason to give up your existing phone.

As for the pathbreaking feature, the expectations from the so-called flagship killer were too damn high. But this brings me back to my original thoughts that very little extraordinary can be offered in gadget launches that are just an year apart from the predecessor versions.

It is right for people to expect 'big' modifications and never-seen-before innovation, but can companies always offer that? I guess not.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    After running Galaxy S2 for >3 years this is only affordable phone I can think of which can last for at least 2 years.
    Though I don't see 2016 flagship killer, but yet the phone has highest configuration till date and best choice for people looking for change. Only thing is bugging me large screen.
    Just hoping to find invite as soon as possible.😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# We don't know the price yet. What makes you say that this one has the highest configuration? Did you compare it with all the latest phones from other Android players?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    but yet the phone has highest configuration till date and best choice for people looking for change. Only thing is bugging me large screen.
    Just hoping to find invite as soon as possible
    I think it'd be a stellar device if the pricing is right. I think the upcoming Mi5 and other phones will give the OnePlus Two a tough fight.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Considering Lg G4/S6 and OnePlus2 have similar processor.
    One plus two got extra GB of ram, laser focus and USB type C.
    Kaustubh Katdare
    2. It's got 5.5" 1080p FULL HD display (Flagship killer?)
    Seriously 😡, It's a big let down. I thought 2K screen is confirmed.
    Now, which phone I should get ☕

Anyway, here are swappable back variant
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    Now, which phone I should get ☕
    Well, totally depends on your budget. I think we should have a separate discussion on this.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we should have a separate discussion on this.
    Yep..
    I really like the swappable back cover. Laser focus is a new thing to try on. Rest features are about speed and power.
    Let's see if anything new in this gadget. ☕

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I NEED A FINAL YEAR PROJECT WORK ON THE TOPIC OF METALLURGY.
I am designing a robot for robotwar under 40kg category. I am using for wheels for my robot .. I m designing with 30 degree elevation from front .. Exactly...
I am planning to do CDAC in VLSI but dont have any knowledge regarding that: * How far it will help me to improve my skills? * In CDAC whether...
Today is the sad day for all Indians. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former president of India also known as 'The Missile Man' of India has died because of heart attack....
Did they start the project? will it show high resistance to earthquake when compared to other skyscrapers?