OnePlus One Coming To India To Kill Moto G And Xiaomi Mi3

OnePlus ONE, the phone that brands itself as the 2014 flagship killer has announced the plans to launch the phone in India. No wonder the team at this Chinese startup, that launched just a few months ago, is eyeing to gun down Moto G and recently launched (and tremendously successful) Xiaomi Mi3. If you call yourself a geek, we expect you to know OnePlus One and how the company is disrupting the android phone markets with their no compromise attitude in almost everything - hardware, software and user experience; minus their distribution system! Let's take a quick look at what the company has revealed so far and all the stuff that matters.

OnePlus forum administrator Carl #-Link-Snipped-# the news that OnePlus is planning to enter India, but did not reveal the exact plan and launch dates. The guess-masters are hell bent on probable September - October launch through exclusive online retailers like Flipkart or Amazon. However, as of now, OnePlus isn't selling their phone directly to everyone, and you must have the invite code to be able to buy the phone. The announcement mentions that India is the 8th most traffic sending country to OnePlus despite not launching the phone in India. The marketing team at OnePlus has primarily focused on North American and European markets so far. They understand that addressing India is a challenge in itself because the pricing of the phone is going to be crucial for the phone to succeed in over-crowded markets. The OnePlus retails for $299 (16GB) / $349 (64GB) in the USA and we'd guess the price of OnePlus One in India to be ~Rs. 18000-22000.

design-covers​

The phone runs CyanogenMod (which is heavily customised Android) and brings a lot of new features to your device. The hardware comprises of quad-core Snapdragon 801 processor, 3GB DDR3 on-board memory, 5.5" display, a nice 3100 mAh battery, 6 Lens 13 MPX f/2.0 IMX214 camera and 4G LTE connection module. Basically killer hardware that you can have in your phone for the price point!

Our Thoughts: We are going through very interesting times in the smartphone dominated world. India is one of the biggest markets for feature and smart phones. It's no wonder that OnePlus is eyeing India after the grand success of budget-friendly smartphones like The best android phone in India under Rs. 15000 : Moto G! and Xiaomi Mi3 | Price In India: Rs. 14999 | Pre-Order Starts : 15 July!. Each of these models got sold out on Flipkart within minutes of launch; often showing the status of the phones as 'Out Of Stock'. For OnePlus, the key is to figure out the distribution system. If they decide to go by the regular 'invite system', the response is likely to be unpredictable.

We keep our fingers crossed and hope that OnePlus brings the phone to the open markets. The phone itself is spectacular and we have no doubt that it'll give a very tough competition to Moto G and Mi3. The key will be the price point and we believe that for a price point < Rs. 20000, the phone will be one of the best phones your hard earned money will be able to buy in India. What are your thoughts?

Update [30th July, 2014 | 12:03 PM] : Several readers have been asking for the launch date and price. We must make it clear that we're only speculating that the phone will arrive in India around October and there's no concrete information available about it. We also do not know about the delivery model OnePlus will follow. Those who want to buy the phone will have to grab an invite from the official OnePlus forums (and it's very difficult to get one!) and then use a package forwarding service in the US to get your phone delivered in India.

We are in touch with the OnePlus One PR/Marketing team and will update you as soon as we hear from them! Be assured that we're committed to keeping you informed.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forgot to add: The September - October time-frame is going to be more interesting! Xiaomi has already announced Mi4 which is a successor to Mi3 and is expected to launch in India around the same time frame. Even if we figure out delays in the launch, expect all the phones to be available in India around Diwali time.

Do you think the OnePlus will beat the hell out of its rivals?
  • Dastan4eva
    Dastan4eva
    Wow Chinese brands are on mission to conquer India i guess πŸ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dastan4eva
    Wow Chinese brands are on mission to conquer India i guess πŸ˜›
    ...and it's obvious. India never paid attention to growing their manufacturing base and focused on 'services'. It's a pity that we use Ganesha idols and Diwali Lanterns made in China! Globalisation at its best; the only thing is it doesn't work just as it's perceived to be.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    But to beat Moto G, Oneplus has to be entering <15k segment .I am sure that with brand name, MotoG gonna withstand this competition .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    OnePlusOne is still little pricey over Xiami Mi3.
    Quad-core 2.3GHz, 2.2F Sony camera, Full HD dispalay, 3k mah and metal body.
    What the hell you want in 14K.
    Only concern is durability πŸ˜’
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I'll respond to your post here. the The camera quality of OnePlus is closer to that of DSLR. I don't know how they do it, but you should check it out on their official forums. We do not know what'll be the final price of OnePlus One in India and if they launch it for ~ Rs. 15K; my first choice will be OnePlus.

Right now, for under Rs. 15,000 Xiaomi Mi3 is 'The Best Android Phone' one can buy.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    As far as specs are concerned '#-Link-Snipped-#' leads the chart than the '#-Link-Snipped-#'.
    Buyer may seek moto G for after sales service.but still MI 3 is going some great business in India.

P.S. Had a hands on '#-Link-Snipped-#' Just now. A wonderful piece at INR 9999/- .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Agreed! If anyone's looking for it, here's the #-Link-Snipped-# phones. It's likely that Xiaomi will have to partner will existing players to offer customer care. Who do you think they'll shake hands with?

Frankly speaking, I'm more concerned about their phone distribution system more than anything else.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The link in OnePlus #-Link-Snipped-#, shows picture quality is very close to Nikon 3100 with 18-55, (Although lens sucks but yet it's dslr) .
    Here is the Martin Maltenfort | Flickr with EXIF, and yes images are impressive shots. πŸ‘
    I agree, Right now Mi3 is best one but it's worth waiting OnePlus with extra pennies. One more advantage is OnePlus run on CyanogenModπŸ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    With industry leading specs on board, it won't be wrong to boast that the OnePlus is a flagship killer. The TIME has called the 'phone of dreams'. I went through most of the detailed reviews and people have been thoroughly impressed with both its hardware and software.

Has anyone seen their crazy promotional stint called "Smash the Past".
    They chose 100 fan-followers who were willing to be the world's first owners of the OnePlus One. All they had to do is smash the phone they were currently using. And not just smash, the old phone had to suffer significant and visible damage to qualify for the OnePlus One purchase code.

And guess what? People did it! 😲 😁

PS: To Carl, the OnePlus Admin - Thanks a ton for the India Launch. This is awesome. 😁
  • Benudhar Behera
    Benudhar Behera
    How to get one? Are they going to supply separate initial invites for Indian customers
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Benudhar Behera
    How to get one? Are they going to supply separate initial invites for Indian customers
    They're still to launch. We'll keep everyone informed as soon as we get an update.

PS: This news post brought our server down for logged-in members. Too many hits in a short time! β˜•
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Agreed! If anyone's looking for it, here's the #-Link-Snipped-# phones. It's likely that Xiaomi will have to partner will existing players to offer customer care. Who do you think they'll shake hands with?

Frankly speaking, I'm more concerned about their phone distribution system more than anything else.
    Although they have service center all of them are thirdparty so still we have to wait for few months so we can get exact idea about it's hardware and service. In this case MOTO G is prooven. πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The crowd seems to running behind low-budget phones in India. But remember, shift happens. Pretty soon, there will be a huge crowd that won't even take a second look at the price tags.
  • Vipin Thomas
    Vipin Thomas
    Yeah.. pretty much.. one plus have nailed it.. I got invite to buy, but unfortunately I'm in India and couldn't arrange for a proxy to bring in India. They give only 24 hrs to redeem..

Xiaomi Mi3 is pretty good for 14k. One plus tops it for slightly higher price..
    In their Indian sojourn, the Chinese will inflict damage on Samsung, Apple also..
    Indian companies have kind of lost here, because of extremely weak manufacturing base in electronics. Lack of vision from so called top business think tanks.. We have ended up being labelled as "Services" country.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ankita Katdare
    Has anyone seen their crazy promotional stint called "Smash the Past".
    They chose 100 fan-followers who were willing to be the world's first owners of the OnePlus One. All they had to do is smash the phone they were currently using. And not just smash, the old phone had to suffer significant and visible damage to qualify for the OnePlus One purchase code.
    And guess what? People did it! 😲 😁
    One of my friend receiving OnePlus next week, I don't know if is used the this promotional offer.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Most OnePlus fans are going crazy for getting the invite codes. The company's strategy is clearly working! 😁
  • Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Getting the invites is not that hard actually. If any one want to an invite he just has to constantly monitor the G+ or Facebook for One+ for that particular region. Because I found people from Germany, Austria and UK getting invites less than two days. The strategy they are using is to make other companies to understand their demand. Launching the product will make just few seconds to put the status "Out of Stock". They do not want that to happen and make more people attract to their products.

Even though shift happens it just matter of time which can make things fly away to some other new company. Either the companies have to look for new innovation or else eventually they will fade of soon.

The best thing about One+ is because of the cyanogenmod. It has extended to offer its service for One+ for two more years promising to release Android L for the product. This makes things simple to remove the need to root the phone. As Android L is available for Google products alone and rest all phones have to be bricked to get that OS but not One+.
  • Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    Don't forget Asus Zenphone 5 is also in the race...
    It has a Intel Atom processor with multi-threading.
  • Root
    Root
    Well, well...

I would grab a One+ in a second if it supports Jolla Sailfish. CyanogenMod doesn't give "that" kind of kick.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - any clue about the jolla fish support on OnePlus. I guess it should.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - any clue about the jolla fish support on OnePlus. I guess it should.
    If the device is officially supported by CyanogenMod 10.1, it can be ported using PDF.

And, not only One+ or Mako or Condor, if community developers are dedicated to port SailfishOS to Android devices, it surely can be done. Because it's very much tough by Jolla devs all alone to port SF in all Android devices available in market. They need help from community like XDA/CM too.
    Mer + Qt = 😍
  • Root
    Root
    Nice.

If asking price of One + when release is close to what mentioned in their site, the I am all for a backup Jolla machine.

Keep 'em coming .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Root
    Nice.

If asking price of One + when release is close to what mentioned in their site, the I am all for a backup Jolla machine.

Keep 'em coming .
    Well, it's just a guess. And makes sense from OnePlus's point of view. They're offering good hardware+software combo and should price the phone under Rs. 20k. I doubt they'll offer it for < 15K though. That'd need some hard negotiation with the involved ministries in the government πŸ˜€
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I second you, Oneplus would be a player to beat for.
    Currently Xiomi and Moto G are good phones, but with the features and price OnePlus is coming with can they withstand in front of that??

I doubt !!
    Excited for a India Launch for Mi4 and OnePlus.
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Admin,
    Show some light when is it going to launch the phone in India. Dying to grab my hands on this dream phone.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vishesh mehra
    Admin,
    Show some light when is it going to launch the phone in India. Dying to grab my hands on this dream phone.
    Have absolutely no clue. We're in touch with the PR folks at OnePlus, but they're very slow to respond. Right now, we can only speculate. But I won't recommend holding your breath for the phone; because if they choose to go the 'invitation' way - getting the phone is going to be tad difficult and frustrating.

Your best bet is to grab an invite on the official oneplus forums and then use a package forwarding service in the US to deliver the phone in India.

PS: We're 'guessing' that the phone will be launched in India around September. I'll try and get an update from the PR and marketing folks at OnePlus.
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have absolutely no clue. We're in touch with the PR folks at OnePlus, but they're very slow to respond. Right now, we can only speculate. But I won't recommend holding your breath for the phone; because if they choose to go the 'invitation' way - getting the phone is going to be tad difficult and frustrating.

Your best bet is to grab an invite on the official oneplus forums and then use a package forwarding service in the US to deliver the phone in India.

PS: We're 'guessing' that the phone will be launched in India around September. I'll try and get an update from the PR and marketing folks at OnePlus.
    Admin,
    Please give the link how to get invitation from forum coz i dnt found regarding India.
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, it's just a guess. And makes sense from OnePlus's point of view. They're offering good hardware+software combo and should price the phone under Rs. 20k. I doubt they'll offer it for < 15K though. That'd need some hard negotiation with the involved ministries in the government πŸ˜€
    My guess is that they will be competitive may be around 18500 or may be more but still worth of a diamond if it is under 20,000 also....
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Rajni Jain
    I second you, Oneplus would be a player to beat for.
    Currently Xiomi and Moto G are good phones, but with the features and price OnePlus is coming with can they withstand in front of that??

I doubt !!
    Excited for a India Launch for Mi4 and OnePlus.
    Rajni,
    Have you seen Asus Zenfone 5.... Nice product....
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Rajni,
    Dear Rajni,
    I am with you that oneplus one will be a killer but Mi 4 its just launched in china I don't think they are considering to launch MI 4 before diwali that means at least we have to wait for around 3 months by then how many companies will be entering we can't imagine.
    Comparatively Xiomi is very good phone in the present market. Asus 6 and 5 are rivals, but still Xiomi has a good chance. Oneplus will be released around September(read in forums and discussions), may be the same time when Mi4 will be released. By this Invite method they are making people hold where people can buy other in frustrating of waiting, like me for an example. And I heard people saying they have problem with the camera and heating problem is what I heard. Mi3 is a good phone but specs and benchmarks Oneplus beats it, but still the question lies how durable are these phones, because at the end of the day we need a phone which is durable. Mi4 is already in the pre-order state , where it has got the demand now already. Its costly if you check in the Europe market, but by the time Oneplus and Mi4 launch it will be rival for those both because Mi4 is also good if you compare with Oneplus. Both will be around 20 to 22 in the Indian market.
    The one more advantage where Mi people have are cyanogenmod is available for these products where they need not brick, but for Oneplus people they need to brick to get Mi interface.
    Because when I read regarding the phones I read two versions, one Europe market phones and the other is Indian market. As there is a difference between the products which launch here and launch there.
    Mi3 only problem is it does not have LTE which people in India will not need it soon. Mi3 will not be a good hit in USA because there is no LTE, but Mi4 will the game player in the coming days for sure. It already broke the pre order records. I wanted to buy Mi4 only but as its costly compared to Mi3 I just dropped down. But for people in India when they launch they will launch it in a affordable price.
    And Oneplus might get L version sooner than Mi3, but it is not like it wont get. Some times its worth waiting as you can add cyanogenmod also to it.
    Currently cyanogenmod is only available for Mi2, may be people have to wait to get for Mi3 and Mi4.
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Sharma Ji but when is MI 4 coming to India. I doubt chinsese will bring MI 4 in china & India at the same time. Books me acha lagta hai Hindi-chini bhai bhai...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Avoid using Hindi; because this discussion is read by people from all over the world. πŸ˜€
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Avoid using Hindi; because this discussion is read by people from all over the world. πŸ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-# ok sir but still you have not told me how to get invites form oneplus one
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vishesh mehra
    #-Link-Snipped-# ok sir but still you have not told me how to get invites form oneplus one
    Check: #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-# : In Europe and China already pre-orders of Mi4 have started and it will come for them by the next month end. India also it will take October, even for Onplus it will take the same time to come to India. (Assumption of both expecting dates).

And regarding the Invitation method, people who bought or by participating in some contest or check the daily activity page for free release of invitation you can get invitation to buy the phone. As long as you get an invitation you cannot buy one. Check the regional oneplus one communities rather than the global to get soon. And they was an article that the Oneplus phones are kept hold as there were some bugs in the phone and those people are trying to resolve it.

And if you buy now you will have to pay for shipping which will cost you a bit high. So its better to wait and buy when its released in India only as the price will be less when you convert to other currencies.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    vishesh mehra
    Rajni,
    It's nice but can't beat OnePlus (1+)
    Meanwhile, see the specs for Asus Zenfone 5 Specs, Features And Expected Price In India
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Everything just depends on the after sales service of these phones, whether we talk about Xiaomi or this phone.

If they provide good after sales service, they'll surely gonna rock and conqueror the market dominated by Samsung phones currently. And I think that's the probable reason, Samsung launched 3 new phones in the marked, that too with such specs, I didn't expect from brand like Samsung.

I don't know whether it's out of fear or what, but surely Indians would have a really great time in getting a good phone in their budget.

I really hope these chinese company provide good services. (Though there's only about 0.000001% chance πŸ˜› )
  • vishesh mehra
    vishesh mehra
    Does any1 know about the release date of oneplus one release date in india.
    It will come around October ending or in November starting. Expected by rumors

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i have got selected in the selection process that was conducted in hcl for attending training .but i got many question regarding that training which is as follows 1.Is this...
Cyber Security is a very interesting topic and the awareness about the topic is almost non-existent. We're planning to get an expert to deliver a 60 - 90 minute webinar...
Capturing an object positioned around a corner from a camera seems like an impossible task if you don't have a mirror at hand. Well, no magic tricks involved when it...
Hi Al, This is Gollapinni Karthik from Hyderabad. Currently studying my 3rd Semester of my Masters in University of GΓΆttingen, Germany. Masters in Applied Computer Science Worked as Delivery Associate...
When a baby is born in India, parents usually don’t do infant hearing screen test. There are multiple reasons for it; either the parents are oblivious to such auditory tests,...