One 'connector' to rule all electrical connections - your thoughts / ideas?

I've been wondering if it's possible at all to have just one connector for all electrical connections - from mobiles to displays to networks and everything else. Right now, I've a different connector to hook my machine to power plug, a different connector to connect my laptop to projector or TV, yet another type of connector for my headphones and so on.

On one hand, it looks very logical to have different type of connector for each specific application. But can we not reduce all the types of connectors to just basic 2-3 - say -
  • Power Connections
  • Audio Video & Data Transfers
We can then think about having a unique form - say like thunderbolt or USB that is reversible. Do you think it's possible or we'll continue to face the choice between USB, Thunderbolt, HDMI, DVI connectors? Looking forward to your inputs.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Only one thing is a hurdle sir. You must know that different equipment uses different current levels of operation

That is though most devices powered by USB needs only a 5V power supply the current ratings of every device is in the range of 100mA to 3A This hurdle is one of the reasons why we have such differentiate connectors

Next Serial or parallel data input requirement As we know CRT uses Serial data reception So a parallel data transmitting connector cannot be used here

Hope I am clear here

If your device is capable of switching between various operating modes then it can be used
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for the response, @#-Link-Snipped-# . I completely ignored the current demands and data input requirements. Your last line is interesting - do you think that's possible in any way?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sir I am not sure whether it is practical But if we use a decoder to make the circuit respond based on our needs we can do it digitally. And in many ways this is feasible thoertically

It is like having all connectors in the same pin based on control signals the different connectors are chosen automatically by the controller. Here no human intrusion is needed. If all goes well you have your device

I am pessimistic about it in many ways
  • J Biswas
    J Biswas
    That is good idea to have a common connector, but as I see a lot of practically limitations to it.
    Connectors designed or used usually has 2 notions:
    1) Mechanical form factor - to sustain human force (plugin/plugout), power delivered, etc. this decides the size and material used (for homes / industries).
    2) Electrical Characteristics - no. of pins, current/voltage, speed of data (data shielding), characteristic impedance of the connector+cable.
  • Chinmay sharma
    Chinmay sharma
    It can be possible to control many appliances from only one accessing media if we use a senser .senser sense how much supply is to be given to whom appliance only when order is given to give supply...but how it is possible practically i don't know
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Well, we are already moving towards standardization subject to some practical considerations. e.g. 3.5mm for portable audio, HDMI for A/V and USB for data transfer (except for outcasts like Apple pushing their own proprietory versions).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Curious to know what's the maximum achievable speed for a spaceship? It takes months for the satellites and rovers to reach out to distant planets viz. Mars - and I...
My belief is that all the monetary system is a big fraud and I'm wondering if the governments pay taxes on their own income through collection of tax from people?...
Tried sudo apt-get install software-center command in terminal. This what I get: sudo apt-get install software-center Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Recommended packages: update-notifier...
Money is the root of all evil, they say. Money has existed for decades and I'm wondering if it's caused more damage to the human race than various benefits /...
Coffee drinkers worldwide always struggle to keep their coffee at the perfect temperature. The freshly prepared coffee is too hot to be consumed and if it is left for a...