OLA Cabs Booking "App Only", Web Interface Shutting Down

OLA Cabs is getting 99% of all their taxi cab bookings through the app and hence has decided that they will shut down the web interface in coming days. I believe OLA going App-Only is justified because in order to book a tab the mobile is the best option - it picks up your geo-coordinates, and all you need to do is simply confirm the booking. You don't have to fill big forms to make the booking.

In the recent times, Myntra was the first company to take a bold step of shutting down their web interface and go app-only. It's faced a lot of criticism since then and even resulted into loss of sales. Flipkart 'App Only' Approach Is WRONG! too had similar plans but is yet to act on them.

OLA earlier asked the users to dial a special phone number 33553355 to book the cabs; but now that may stop as well. Ola customer care has been asking users to download the iOS or Android app.

Switching to app only mode may result into expansion related challenges. Ola will be losing out on all the customers who use feature phones; which I believe is still a significantly large market in India. I'd rather hope that OLA will keep their book through phone call service on for all such people.

What do you think about the 'app only' strategy startups are adapting?

Replies

• AdilRoshan5
    AdilRoshan5
    With such an increasing trend towards using mobiles, it was a matter of time. We will see if Ola's sales are going to face similar fate as Myntra.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Subrahmanya Rao NS hails from a small town called Puttur near Mangalore (Karnataka) where he did his schooling from a middle class family. Subhramanya's mother was a teacher and father...
The NAND flash memory was first introduced back in 1989 and it continues to be one of the most popular memory technologies even today. Engineers at Intel and Micron have...
Can anyone please tell me about dac course at vita mumbai? How's it and placements?
My uncle who is a successful civil engineer came to me with that day's newspaper. He wanted to show me an advertisement for the local college. The college's ad had...
Hi, Can any member or any engineer give a list of some events of national or regional PC games competitions in India... I have searched it but unable to find...