NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Promises Best Gaming Experience On Android

If you were excited about the nVIDIA Shield - Personal Gaming Device. Is nVIDIA Smartphone Coming? gaming console last year, chances are you will be ecstatic learning about NVIDIA’s new Android offering. NVIDIA #-Link-Snipped-# the SHIELD tablet, an 8-inch tablet with specs that will put the big names in the market to shame. Inside the tablet you get the chipmaker’s Tegra K1 SoC that houses a 2.2 GHz ARM Cortex A15 CPU, a 192 core Kepler GPU and 2GB of RAM. If you were worrying about the pedigree of the graphics we would like to tell you that the Kepler cores are the same ones that you find on a GeForce GTX graphics card. You can enjoy the powerful performance through the 8-inch Full HD (1920x1200 pixels) multi-touch display. If you do not like the idea of tapping the screen while playing #-Link-Snipped-# such as Trine 2: Complete Story, War Thunder, Talos Principle, Portal and Half-Life 2 you can spend $59.99 on a #-Link-Snipped-# that hooks up to your gaming tablet with the help of a custom Wi-Fi Direct solution. The makers of the tablet chose power consuming Wi-Fi over low energy Bluetooth because Wi-Fi offers low latency and greater bandwidth.

NVIDIA Shield (2)

The #-Link-Snipped-# comes with GameStream which is a technology that allows you to stream games from your GeForce GTX-powered PCs and play them on the tablet. Although we aren’t exactly sure what this hopes to accomplish, why would you want play PC games on an 8-inch tablet when they already are on your PC? We however approve of its capabilities of playing tablet games on HDTVs and #-Link-Snipped-#. In fact it is the first handheld device to support Twitch. Since gaming and video playback requires good sound, NVIDIA has made the wise decision of including front facing speakers with dual-bass reflex ports laced with NVIDIA PureAudio technology.

NVIDIA Shield (3)

The NVIDIA SHIELD tablet runs Android KitKat and upgrades will provided by NVDIA. The tablet will be sold in 16GB Wi-Fi and 32GB Wi-Fi + LTE variants which will cost $299 and $399 respectively. You will have the option of expanding the memory with the help of microSD cards of up to 128GB on both variants. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi 802.11n 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS / GLONASS, mini HDMI, micro-USB 2.0. The NVIDIA SHIELD tablet is powered by a 19.75 Watt Hours battery. Even though using tablets to shoot photos is a bad idea, the company has stuck a 5MP HDR sensor on the rear and as well as the front. For no extra cost the company in holstering a stylus with the tablet which is equipped with GPU-accelerated DirectStylus 2 technology. For casual doodlers and serious graphics artists it is pre-installing an app called NVIDIA Dabbler that helps you create hyper-realistic watercolour and 3D Paint oil paintings. By paying a few bucks more you can get a cover for your tablet that is reminiscent of Apple iPad’s Smartcover.

NVIDIA Shield (1)

So what do you think about this “Ailenware of the tablet kingdom”? Let us know in the comment section below.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Tegra K1 (Cortex A15) has killed SD 801, but somehow I am not really interested in ARMv7 anymore. There's another version of Tegra K1 with ARMv8 (ofcourse AArch64 instruction sets) Denver CPUs, I am keen to get my hands on those devices. Seems like Nvidia is dead serious about conquering mobile GPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if I see most of the high end devices equipped with Nvidia SoCs from now onwards.

Okay Nvidia, Kepler architecture's done, now let's hear something about Maxwell 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Expression for dynamic resistance Dunamic resistance is defined as the ratio of change in current at a particular point of operation. It is basically the reciprocal of the slope of...
Today our CEan @Anil Jain is celebrating his birthday. Wishing you a many many happy returns of the day CrazyBoy ! Where is the party? 🎉
I am confused over whcih mobile platform is much better between andriod and windows.give any suggestions please
'sup CEans, I am looking for an inspirational book. Any suggestion on awesome titles ?
Here is some good news for Hindi-speakers in India as Google, in its quest to improve and provide comprehensive maps according to the regions across the world, has announced the...