Nvidia & AMD job placements/interviews.

Like all IT students, their dreamjob is to work in google or MS or whatever.
Me, being an EC student my dreamjob is to work in Nvidia/AMD/intel.

I know how interviews for placement in intel takes place.
But, I am looking for recruitment/interview details of AMD/Nvidia ... Is there anyone who can help me out ?

I am still in 3rd Sem, hence i am still 2.5years away from my first salary.
But still I wanna know everything about it Asap.

Replies

• grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Buddy hardware or software job?
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    The companies you named are both hardware and software related company. I know less about hardware jobs but as far as software is concerened you can get job as system programmer or testing .Application developers are there but less.Even i wanted to enter Nvidia because i feel interset towards system level programming.But they usually take guys from CS/IT background for system developer.Still if you want to try(many times branch is irrelevant)...be very good in coding c/c++.Learn operating system concepts throughly.Hope that helps.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am more interested in hardware side,mate. I like coding but that can be my side-income (freelancing) .... I will prefer hardware job only. Coding is fun but circuits excites me more than codes.

PS : I am still seeking for placement/interview details of Nvidia & AMD.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The first question is, do those companies visit your college campus? Afaik they will not do off campus for freshers.

And buddy, a bitter truth is, as a fresher engineer we are just not capable for doing any hardware jobs. And that too in those companies where the major part is vlsi.

In big companies you will nust end up on some incorrect profile. Yes theres one way though. If you really want to work with hardware and care it more than company, the start must be done with very small companies. Those will be the only one who will let you even come near the hardware. The big companies will never allow fresher unless you are from iit or nit. Thats different story then if you are because those companies just visit there.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm. I dont remember having friends in Nvidia & AMD, but I have relatives and friends working for ARM, APPLE,Xilinux, TI . let me know if you are interested and I will try to get details from them
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Before anyone jumps into any conclusion - I'd STRONGLY (I repeat, STRONGLY) recommend the kind of job profile these companies offer to electronics engineers or those who aren't from IITs or PhDs. From what I know, both Intel and NVIDIA India operations are mostly into testing and bug fixing. Most of the candidates recruited in the coding department are usually from the IITs or M.Techs or PhDs. Others recruited are offered the hardware-software testing (mostly drivers testing) - which would limit their profile. The companies offer huge pay packages and are very attractive. But the career *after* gaining an experience in these companies could be very challenging. Because not many companies are into drivers testing.

I'd first have a word about the job profile before applying to the job.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    Before anyone jumps into any conclusion - I'd STRONGLY (I repeat, STRONGLY) recommend the kind of job profile these companies offer to electronics engineers or those who aren't from IITs or PhDs. From what I know, both Intel and NVIDIA India operations are mostly into testing and bug fixing. Most of the candidates recruited in the coding department are usually from the IITs or M.Techs or PhDs. Others recruited are offered the hardware-software testing (mostly drivers testing) - which would limit their profile. The companies offer huge pay packages and are very attractive. But the career *after* gaining an experience in these companies could be very challenging. Because not many companies are into drivers testing.

I'd first have a word about the job profile before applying to the job.
    This exactly sum up what i wanted to say. My friend got selected in nvidia. Package and office environment from what he told is ckmpaable to google. However he's appointed for software testing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Prototype]
    This exactly sum up what i wanted to say. My friend got selected in nvidia. Package and office environment from what he told is ckmpaable to google. However he's appointed for software testing.
    Well, software 'testing' isn't a bad career as such; but people tend to think it is out of ignorance. In fact, I believe software testing offers better growth opportunities than in the dev role.

The point I was making is people need to understand what kind of 'testing role' is being offered. To the best of my knowledge, it's the drivers + hardware testing which isn't the skill required in other IT companies. So those who're skilled in this domain may find it hard to jump to another job and the choice of the companies may become limited.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Like Prototype said, I have to graduate from IITs to get job in big companies ... but Biggie informed that most job in those companies in India provided to us are software-side, driver testing and all that. Well this disappoints me :-\
    So it is like, as far as i am staying in india, i will not get even a chance in hardware-side in such big companies ,right ?
    durga
    hmm. I dont remember having friends in Nvidia & AMD, but I have relatives and friends working for ARM, APPLE,Xilinux, TI . let me know if you are interested and I will try to get details from them
    Yes durga, I will be glad if you provide me interview/placement information of ARM & Xilinx.

So now i have to do M.tech in IIT after bachelors just to get job in field that i crave for ? great !
    3 yrs diploma + 3 years bachelors + 2 years Masters = 8 years doing same electronics shit & still a question mark hanging on me whether i will get job in any of those great companies.
    FML !
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    See for system software field you can easily go provided you are good with c/c++ coding and OS concepts.
    Try this link.It is latest opening for system programmer in Nvidia : Hope it gives idea about job description and their requirement.(My dream but not good at OS concepts ๐Ÿ˜” )
    : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : First of all, I'm only giving you an aspect that I know of. Reality might be different and the company may even offer you the job of your dreams. The takeaway from my post should be to 'evaluate' the job offer thoroughly before joining the company. I've nothing against these companies but the aspects I highlighted are often ignored.

You may join the hardware side if you are called for an interview and you perform really well. That said, I'd talk to the existing employees of the company before taking up the offer, if possible.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    Well, software 'testing' isn't a bad career as such; but people tend to think it is out of ignorance. In fact, I believe software testing offers better growth opportunities than in the dev role.

The point I was making is people need to understand what kind of 'testing role' is being offered. To the best of my knowledge, it's the drivers + hardware testing which isn't the skill required in other IT companies. So those who're skilled in this domain may find it hard to jump to another job and the choice of the companies may become limited.
    Thats possibly the personal preference then. If you ask me I will rather be unemployed than joining a testing job. I mean I just not wasted 4 years with transistors and digital electronics to later sit in front of computer running pre defined test and reporting bugs.

I want to work what I have studied the whole time. This even applies to the computer science students. You spend like forever to learn and master those programming languages to find the people who had done B.A. is sitting besides you doing the same job. I dont think testing requires any 'Engineers'.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    [Prototype]
    Thats possibly the personal preference then. If you ask me I will rather be unemployed than joining a testing job. I mean I just not wasted 4 years with transistors and digital electronics to later sit in front of computer running pre defined test and reporting bugs.

I want to work what I have studied the whole time. This even applies to the computer science students. You spend like forever to learn and master those programming languages to find the people who had done B.A. is sitting besides you doing the same job. I dont think testing requires any 'Engineers'.

Nice information.But i heard from seniors that if you do well in testing,you can learn alot and may also get a job as developer.
    Is it right ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I ended up in a completely different profession than my engineering discipline. But I love it ๐Ÿ˜.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    The_Big_K
    I ended up in a completely different profession than my engineering discipline. But I love it ๐Ÿ˜.
    Sir what is your actual profession ?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    Well I dont know for the most but taking reference of self I have choosen my engineering trade because I love electronics. I wanted to work in electronics and make my career in it.

In such case, moving to some other discipline will be the huge failure in life. Yes I say failure because you were incapable of achieving what you liked and was interested it. Career is one of the major goal in life. If you've to compromise with that only I say its just biggest disappointment and regret throughout the life
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    grsalvi
    Nice information.But i heard from seniors that if you do well in testing,you can learn alot and may also get a job as developer.
    Is it right ?
    Changing the profile from testing generally isn't that easy. You wont end up as developer because despite you might have experience of 10 years, its in testing so as a developer you're a fresher.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yes the market has slowed and there is global recession, but these are companies that are still growing 15% + YoY and delivering margins in excessive of 20% โ€“ both...
How can add a tag line like'life is fun' at end of my replies?
It's 27 September 2012 and Google's celebrating its 14th Birthday by putting a nice animated doodle on their front page. What began as a engineering project for two founders became...
Hey, This is Olivia from Nevada, USA. I'm new here and what i don't know what to say now.
You can join free online course by google at no cost. This course already started. Enroll yourself and get certification by google. https://www.google.com/insidesearch/landing/powersearching.html