Now Get reCAPTCHA Without The CAPTCHA Thanks To Google's Advanced Risk Analysis System

Knowingly or not, you have contributed to digitizing books, build machine learning datasets, improving Google Maps and whatnot. Courtesy: the CAPTCHA project. The wobbly, distorted text that you had to decipher in order to post a comment or to join a website was far more than simply a tool to prevent spamming by bots. But as time progressed, the bots became more sophisticated and so the CAPTCHAs had to become abstruse, more to the annoyance of humans and bots alike. The Google reCAPTCHA had to go back to the labs and their result is what Google is claiming to be more user-friendly and bot/spam-repelling. Say hello to the "No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA."

Recaptcha1

Google devs claim that this new system is more secure and yet more simple than the reCAPTCHA. This system will let real people pass through without ever seeing a CAPTCHA. The system uses an advanced risk analysis system for this purpose. The API just asks the user whether they are a robot or not. And just like that in a click, they will be granted access to pass. Thanks to the new API, the users will get to the sites faster (and far less angry). Sites like Snapchat, Wordpress, HumbleBundle have used the new API are reporting faster user access, For example, in the last week, more than 60% of WordPress’ traffic and more than 80% of Humble Bundle’s traffic on reCAPTCHA encountered the No CAPTCHA experience - users got to these sites faster.

However, the old faithful reCAPTCHA isn't disappearing altogether. In cases when the risk analysis engine can't confidently predict whether a user is a human or an abusive agent, it will prompt a CAPTCHA to elicit more cues, increasing the number of security checkpoints to confirm the user is valid.

CAPTCHA (1)

The new API has also allowed developers to experiment with mobile-friendly reCAPTCHAs. Since it is very simple to tap than type in mobile phones, the new system will prompt the user to select pictures similar to the image clue, thus denying access to AI.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• James Wood
    James Wood
    Great to see that CE is interested in some of the CAPTCHA changes! We've actually been discussing the details of the changes in-depth and our lead designer has opened up the discussion here if you're interested: #-Link-Snipped-#. Would be interested to hear CE's thoughts on the matter.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - My only complaint with the CAPTCHA or no Captcha is that they faily to stop the human spam. At CE, we've had a ton of human spammers who can pass any captcha and manually add spam. Do you think there's any way to control them?
  • James Wood
    James Wood
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - My only complaint with the CAPTCHA or no Captcha is that they faily to stop the human spam. At CE, we've had a ton of human spammers who can pass any captcha and manually add spam. Do you think there's any way to control them?
    That's a tough one for CAPTCHAs, which were developed to prevent automated software from getting through, rather than actual humans. Good news is: our product has seen no evidence of such attacks getting through our services. The reason is because manual spammers have developed workflow and processes around typed in CAPTCHAS. We're not a logical model to target as spammers are focused on making money with as little cost as possible. Attacking FunCaptcha simply doesn't make financial sense. This will be subject to change once we're on more services and even so, we have a few tricks up our sleeve to deal with that.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks, James. Wish you all the best with FunCaptcha.
  • James Wood
    James Wood
    My pleasure Kaustubh and thank-you kindly!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Frank Swain, a science writer and sound artist Daniel Jones have made it possible for people to listen Wi-Fi signals. They have managed to hack Bluetooth hearing aids to monitor...
Looks like many of you have questions/curiosity/valid concerns and suggestions about my entry in Engineering for Change contest in this Post: https://www.crazyengineers.com/threa...dia-project-report-contest.77548/#post-332229 I will try to answer the queries here....
Hi, I am trying to find out the sentiment score for a .csv file which is already existing in my system. I surfed in the internet and all I could...
This - ...and all I wanted to tell you is that the next Terminator Movie is coming soon and our favourite Arnie "will be back" to kill all the machines...
One of the biggest fears of a petrol head or a gear head is that when the world finally runs out of petrol, his or her favourite supercar will go...