Note: June 2015 will be one second longer

The month of June 2015 will be one second longer. Because of the Earth's rotation, this month is going to be longer by a second - that the midnight coordinated universal time on June will read 23:59:60 (and not 00:00:00). The extra second will be added in order to synchronise our land-based clocks with Earth's rotation.

Also note that this is not the first time that a second has been added to any month. In fact, it's the 26th time since 1972 that seconds have been added to keep the sync. Those who are extremely punctual may note that because of the tidal forces between Earth and Moon, Earth is slowing down making our days longer by about 1.4 milliseconds to our days every 100 years.

Just to put the things in context; the days were shorter when Dinosaurs roamed the planet. The last perfect 24-hour rotation happened back in 1820. Ever since, the day has been lengthened by 2.5 milliseconds.

Are you concerned?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hats off to science. Accuracy to that level is amazing and... most IT engineers I know are wondering if their salaries will be increased in proportion. # FAIL ๐Ÿ˜
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are you concerned?
    Nope.
    Now we say: 24 hours in a day is not enough
    10000 years later: How come 25 hours in a day is still not enough.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My little understanding of time as days, hours, weeks is this:

This is time line:-
    ------------------------------------------
    Which is independent of things (on Earth)

This is how we divide it into measurable units, as per our convenience:

-----------|-----------|-----------|-----------|------.....(Infinity)

So it shouldn't matter where exactly we put those markers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) conducts the Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2016 is an entrance exam for graduates who wish to...
There are many websites around that follow the model of FreeCharge. I have used the website many times and have received really good deals for recharging my phone through them....
Hi friends, In context to object oriented programming: - What is the difference between data abstraction and data encapsulation?Are they both implementing information hiding? 'A class encapsulates the methods and...
Newest entrant in the Android market is Passion 660 from PHICOMM, the brand from Shanghai Feixun Communication Co., Ltd. a Chinese enterprise that has launched several smartphones in India. The...
Every Mozilla Firefox user who has updated his/her installation from 38.0.4 to 38.0.5 today would have noticed some welcome additions to the third most popular internet browser in the world....